Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

THANK YOU MAN!!!! he was a drunken fool.

and maybe this is a matter of opinion but he can't what's the word?  SING!!!!!!!

only reason people think they were so much better is they have the image of him doing jazz-ercize on stage.

and live shows were awful.  he'd drunkenly stumble about.  forget lyrics.  not talking the band..just him. al though they were all loaded, lol

give me Sammy.  any day week or hour. and roth diehard fans are INSUFFERABLE.

Mick

I love both the Roth and Hagar-eras.  I can enjoy the Cherone-fronted band when I'm in the mood for it (the relative weakness of VH3 rests squarely with Eddie's songs, not Gary).  There's no question that Hagar is a better singer.  I saw him just before COVID and he STILL sounded pretty damn good.

That said, the Roth era stuff wasn't about singing ability, any more than Aerosmith, the Stones or Ozzy-fronted Sabbath are.  I think you either like any of those guys' voices, or you don't.  And VH, to my ears, has an edge and fun with Roth that just isn't there with Sammy.  

A college buddy of mine described Sammy perfectly though, IMO.  "He's the apex of mediocrity."  What he meant was there's nothing really unique or "great," about Sammy.  Other than, tbh, his pretty horrible lyric writing, which is rivaled only by Coverdale's (whose voice I personally love).  Like I said, I personally love 5150 - Balance, but just not the way I love VH - 1984.

VH live with Roth was a great spectacle and a lot of fun to watch.  It's clear why they never released a live album before 2015 though.

• Like 4

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I love both the Roth and Hagar-eras.  I can enjoy the Cherone-fronted band when I'm in the mood for it (the relative weakness of VH3 rests squarely with Eddie's songs, not Gary).  There's no question that Hagar is a better singer.  I saw him just before COVID and he STILL sounded pretty damn good.

That said, the Roth era stuff wasn't about singing ability, any more than Aerosmith, the Stones or Ozzy-fronted Sabbath are.  I think you either like any of those guys' voices, or you don't.  And VH, to my ears, has an edge and fun with Roth that just isn't there with Sammy.  

A college buddy of mine described Sammy perfectly though, IMO.  "He's the apex of mediocrity."  What he meant was there's nothing really unique or "great," about Sammy.  Other than, tbh, his pretty horrible lyric writing, which is rivaled only by Coverdale's (whose voice I personally love).  Like I said, I personally love 5150 - Balance, but just not the way I love VH - 1984.

VH live with Roth was a great spectacle and a lot of fun to watch.  It's clear why they never released a live album before 2015 though.

that's what i often hear.  that roth was more "edgey"  and if that's what you want...can't fault you.

but for me i just feel they gave up a lot at the expense of Roth being fun and edgey.

but it's all tastes man.

Mick

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Helloween - Walls of Jericho

Good, enjoyable.  Decent - better than The Time of the Oath.  Not something I am wild about however.  

I far prefer the early Blind Guardian albums, which took this sound and did it so much better.

Helloween are nothing compared to BG, and they had similar starts. 

The Keeper albums don't hold up as well as I remembered either

24 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

that's what i often hear.  that roth was more "edgey"  and if that's what you want...can't fault you.

but for me i just feel they gave up a lot at the expense of Roth being fun and edgey.

but it's all tastes man.

Mick

The real shame is that they never did the follow up to VH3 which, rumor has it, was written and demoed.  Cherone could do both the Roth-era and Hagar-era justice.  I just saw him this past summer twice, and he still has it too.  Sammy brought him up on stage in 2019 in Boston, so it was a VH reunion of every band member who WASN'T named Van Halen of sorts.

• Like 1

Ringo Starr- Stop and Smell the Roses

Ringo Starr - Goodnight Vienna

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (40th Anniversary).  I love listening to recordings of Ozzy live from the early 80s, which this version includes.  No one, and I mean no one, fired up their audience like he did.

• Like 4

Devin Townsend - Terria

Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On?

Radiohead - Kid A

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I far prefer the early Blind Guardian albums, which took this sound and did it so much better.

Helloween are nothing compared to BG, and they had similar starts. 

The Keeper albums don't hold up as well as I remembered either

Yes, I would agree with you on this based on my exploration of both bands.  That being said, I am going to try some more Helloween.  Guess I am a gluten for punishment.  Helloween may have invented Power Metal but BG pushed it to another level.  I also want to give Kai Hansens's spin off band a try.  I agree with what you said the other day  as well - Helloween is one band that you wish could have done it better and should have done it better.  Fun live, great (really great) vocals, good guitars.  It should have been better.

Truth is, I like Masterplan more.   Thanks for suggesting them - not certain if I would have found them otherwise.

The first Keeper album, for my ears has held up well.  The second one, other than "I Want Out" is also not as great as I remembered.  Decent but not as great as I remembered.  I Want Out is still very strong - at least to my ears.

6 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

Saint Etienne – So Tough album art - Fonts In Use

I explored a couple of random songs and although I don't think St. Etienne is for me, I love checking out unknown-to-me stuff I run into here!

• Like 1