Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fall Out Boy - So Much (For) Stardust

Easily the best thing they’ve done in a decade, which isn’t saying that much if you’ve been paying attention, but I choose to be happy they’re at least back on the good side of the spectrum. We’ll see how much it grows on me, at least a few certified excellent songs on here, and quite a good bit that’s off the beaten path from their usual sound.

• Like 1

Queensryche- Operation: Mindcrime 

Best prog metal album of all time? Check. Best male vocalist in metal of all time? Check. Best of the best of the best on all fronts? Check.

Every time I come back to this album, I wonder if maybe I exaggerated how great it is. Then I find myself really listening and thinking "Holy shit, this is even greater than I recalled!"

This is fast becoming to my ears the best record I've ever heard. I can file this happily alongside Rubber Soul, The Doors, Machine Head's The Blackening, Lacuna Coil's Karmacode and any other major favourite album of mine, and question if I think it might be even better. 

However, best album of the eighties? Well...this ain't quite Moving Pictures, but it's damn close!

• Like 4

Paramore - This Is Why x2

I just had to hit repeat. I can’t say this is the best thing Paramore have done in a decade like I did for Fall Out Boy, but if this record were in Fall Out Boy’s catalogue it would be the best thing they’d done maybe ever. Meanwhile for Paramore’s catalogue this is strictly in the same league as After Laughter and Brand New Eyes, among their greatest moments in my eyes. Still too early for me to rank it, but it can go toe to toe with pretty much anything in their catalogue any day of the week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh I really like this! Playing it now, having a lot of fun. Sorta sounds like Leaves Eyes meets Powerwolf.

Thats a great analogy.  Only thing is, I like them much more than Leaves Eyes.  I strongly prefer the female lead vocals in Brothers of Metal to Leaves Eyes (either with the original lead vocalist or the new one).  Not that the female vocals in Leaves Eyes were bad - the reverse actually.  Its just I enjoyed BoM much more.  Plus the male vocalists are, for my taste, much better with Brothers of Metal.  The male vocals in BoM are not so harsh as in Leaves Eyes.  Leaves Eyes male vocals are way to harsh for my tastes, BoM the harsh vocals are more rough then harsh - at least to my ears.

Plus I find that I can sing along with many of BoM's songs.

Powerwolf is on my to check out list - along with a bunch of other bands.   I have listened to them a bit and want to listen to them more.

Glad you like my recommendation.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Thats a great analogy.  Only thing is, I like them much more than Leaves Eyes.  I strongly prefer the female lead vocals in Brothers of Metal to Leaves Eyes (either with the original lead vocalist or the new one).  Not that the female vocals in Leaves Eyes were bad - the reverse actually.  Its just I enjoyed BoM much more.  Plus the male vocalists are, for my taste, much better with Brothers of Metal.  The male vocals in BoM are not so harsh as in Leaves Eyes.  Leaves Eyes male vocals are way to harsh for my tastes, BoM the harsh vocals are more rough then harsh - at least to my ears.

Plus I find that I can sing along with many of BoM's songs.

Powerwolf is on my to check out list - along with a bunch of other bands.   I have listened to them a bit and want to listen to them more.

Glad you like my recommendation.  

I'm a big Leaves Eyes fan, but they never truly found that sound that could take them next level. Still, I own almost everything they have ever done.

But Brothers Of Metal sound fun! I was quite surprised to see how many monthly Spotify listeners they have. Nearly 1 million, which for power metal is insane, especially having never heard of them before (and they don't have much online presence or a lot of reviews).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Paramore - This Is Why x2

I just had to hit repeat. I can’t say this is the best thing Paramore have done in a decade like I did for Fall Out Boy, but if this record were in Fall Out Boy’s catalogue it would be the best thing they’d done maybe ever. Meanwhile for Paramore’s catalogue this is strictly in the same league as After Laughter and Brand New Eyes, among their greatest moments in my eyes. Still too early for me to rank it, but it can go toe to toe with pretty much anything in their catalogue any day of the week.

I can't truly say I click with recent Paramore. Shines bright when I first play, then the brilliance fades fast.

Brand New Eyes and Paramore remain special albums to me though.

Rush- Permanent Waves 

Rush- Moving Pictures 

I swear to YA MOMMA that MP hasn't aged a day, is timeless, utterly flawless and one of my desert island discs. This was my first Rush album, but that doesn't change the fact I still think it sounds like a worl of utter brilliance and is GLORIOUS from start to finish.

Some songs I know have been overplayed for fans, but Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight and Vital Signs remain magic to my ears, and Witch Hunt is one of the most chilling songs I have ever heard.

I love everything about this record.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush- Permanent Waves 

Rush- Moving Pictures 

I swear to YA MOMMA that MP hasn't aged a day, is timeless, utterly flawless and one of my desert island discs. This was my first Rush album, but that doesn't change the fact I still think it sounds like a worl of utter brilliance and is GLORIOUS from start to finish.

Some songs I know have been overplayed for fans, but Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight and Vital Signs remain magic to my ears, and Witch Hunt is one of the most chilling songs I have ever heard.

sigh.......i wish Rush still did it for me.......alas our love has faded.

good you are carrying  on:rush:

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I don't think my love for them has faded but the last time I did a deep listen to them was after Neil died. Unfortunately, that happens with me when an artist dies or retires. My love for them is still there but I don't end up listening to them as often as I did when they were active. I will always love Ronnie James Dio but after he died I don't listen to him nearly as much as I used to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I can't truly say I click with recent Paramore. Shines bright when I first play, then the brilliance fades fast.

Brand New Eyes and Paramore remain special albums to me though.

Fair enough. They’ve got a relatively flawless discography to me at this point, but it’s varied enough that I can totally see how someone might like a few albums but not really love the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush- Permanent Waves 

Rush- Moving Pictures 

MP pushed 2112 out of my top three when I first heard it. Considering 2112 was my first Rush album, that’s a pretty big ask.

• Like 2

Helloween - Helloween

Good, enjoyable solid album.  

My history with this band is strange.  I loved the 2 Keeper album and then stopped listing to them.  I think it was because they did not get much airplay in the US plus the CD era started and, well, don't get me started on that.  Plus grunge came along and basically anything that was 80's metal got junked by radio here.  So other than the 2 Keeper album Helloween stayed off my radar.  Then I happened to pick up their Pumpkins United CD which got me back into them.  But I had not really given them a listen since I have been trying so many other bands, working, moving, taking care of parents who are sort of independent still but in the early / mid 90's so they need help and, and, and.....   Well, you get the idea.

So having watched a bunch of their live shows I gave this CD a shot and enjoyed it.  Got a lot of Helloween to get caught up on.

Heavens To Betsy - Calculated

This is still my favorite Riot Grrrl record so far. But I do need to delve deeper.

Wednesday-Sunday:

Hot Mulligan - Fenton EP 

Hot Mulligan - Honest and Cunning EP

Hot Mulligan - Opportunities 

Hot Mulligan - Pilot

Hot Mulligan - You'll Be Fine

Hot Mulligan - I Won't Reach Out To You EP 

Hot Mulligan - Acoustic Vol. 1 EP

Hot Mulligan - Acoustic Vol. 2 EP

Page 9 - Hang On For Dear Life, Part 1 EP

Fall Out Boy - So Much (For) Stardust

August Burns Red - Death Below

Dayglo Abortions - Feed Us A Fetus

All Time Low - Don't Panic: It's Longer Now!

We Are The In Crowd - Guaranteed To Disagree EP

We Are The In Crowd - Best Intentions

We Are The In Crowd - Weird Kids

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I'm at that point with some bands I used to idolise. Notably bands like Foreigner, and at times I fear Nightwish (but hey, no one can say I didn't play them to death).

But who knows? Like me and my faves, sometimes out the blow they just click again. It won't take much for me to fall deep into Nightwish, and maybe the same for you and Rush.

At this point in time, Rush, since 2011, are the band who have most impacted my entire worldview. They were a turning point for me, keeping music exciting and being my gateway to a whole different of rock and metal that before then I had hardly touched.

My favourite band? Yeah, I think so.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Helloween - Helloween

Good, enjoyable solid album.  

My history with this band is strange.  I loved the 2 Keeper album and then stopped listing to them.  I think it was because they did not get much airplay in the US plus the CD era started and, well, don't get me started on that.  Plus grunge came along and basically anything that was 80's metal got junked by radio here.  So other than the 2 Keeper album Helloween stayed off my radar.  Then I happened to pick up their Pumpkins United CD which got me back into them.  But I had not really given them a listen since I have been trying so many other bands, working, moving, taking care of parents who are sort of independent still but in the early / mid 90's so they need help and, and, and.....   Well, you get the idea.

So having watched a bunch of their live shows I gave this CD a shot and enjoyed it.  Got a lot of Helloween to get caught up on.

Of all the bands I wish were better than they actually are, this is one right near the top of the list.

This most recent album is spectacular though. But their discography is mostly trash, and I'm saying that as someone who still had fun with it.

Have you checked out Sonata Arctica?

Masterplan- Mk II 

Outstanding album. Is it power metal? Is it progressive flavoured hard rock? Is it both? It's outstanding, that's for sure. 

• Like 1