Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/14/2023 at 3:37 AM, Segue Myles said:

Wow, you didn't connect with Imaginations From The Other Side? I'd put that as their best work with Nightfall and ANATO!

No, not really.  Its ok.  The title track and "And The Story Ends" were the best songs on the album.  Overall it was ok but nothing special for my ears.

Just getting back to you now due to weather.  In upstate NY where I live we got hit with a snow storm that started Monday about 11:00 at night.  Tuesday at 5:30 in the morning my power went out.  The storm ended Wednesday afternoon - we got around 30 inches of snow plus a lot of drifting due to high winds.  Got power back Thursday afternoon.  Finally got internet back today and am still cleaning up from it.  I normally enjoy winter but not this storm.  Thankfully we had a lot of firewood plus our generator was gassed up and ready to go.  Should be the last big storm for the winter (I hope).

• Like 1

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time

Dang.  This is a very good album.  Not as good as Nightfall In Middle Earth or Somewhere Far Beyond but on par, or perhaps better than, A Night At The Opera.  Really impressed.  Not a bad song on it and a bunch of very good songs.

Edited by TheAccountant

Blind Guardian - Beyond The Red Mirror

This album was, ahhh, ok.  I guess.  No terrible songs but not much that made me go "o, wow".  "The Holy Grail" was probably the best song on the album but even that was not strong compared to some of their music on their other albums.  Decent but not special.  Otherwise, sort of a forgettable album - at least for me.

8 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

That would be me 🤣

Same here. There's a good reason it's so many people's favorite, and their best seller.

6 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

No, not really.  Its ok.  The title track and "And The Story Ends" were the best songs on the album.  Overall it was ok but nothing special for my ears.

Just getting back to you now due to weather.  In upstate NY where I live we got hit with a snow storm that started Monday about 11:00 at night.  Tuesday at 5:30 in the morning my power went out.  The storm ended Wednesday afternoon - we got around 30 inches of snow plus a lot of drifting due to high winds.  Got power back Thursday afternoon.  Finally got internet back today and am still cleaning up from it.  I normally enjoy winter but not this storm.  Thankfully we had a lot of firewood plus our generator was gassed up and ready to go.  Should be the last big storm for the winter (I hope).

I'm glad you're okay. I'm also from Upstate. My area got horrible snow, but we didn't lose power.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chronos said:

Ironhorse_1979.jpg

Ironhorse, from 1979. A quality slab of lesser-known classic rock. Randy Bachman's short-lived band after he left Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Give it a try. I play it maybe twice a year.

I wanna check this out. Also, the horse's facial expression is wildly hilarious to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Is that what the cover of yours says?  I thought it was "Talk of the Devil," over there.

STILL one of my most played live albums.

You're right, it is Talk of the Devil in the UK. Gillis absolutely kills it on this set. Superb.

• Like 4

Tesla- The Great Radio Controversy 

Underrated band, I forgot how much I love them. I had a lot of their early stuff growing up, and always thought they were killer hard rock. Never understood the "hair metal" label, as this band reminds me still more of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin and the like.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Tesla- The Great Radio Controversy 

Underrated band, I forgot how much I love them. I had a lot of their early stuff growing up, and always thought they were killer hard rock. Never understood the "hair metal" label, as this band reminds me still more of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin and the like.

The problem with musical labels is that if something becomes popular when that particular label is hot, that thing also gets that label put on them. Tesla is a straight up rock band but since they became popular when hair metal was the in thing they unfairly got clumped in with that. The same with Def Leppard. Both bands had their own unique sound and we're head and shoulders above all the other Van Halen knockoffs that populated the hair metal label. But they became big in the mid 80s so they had to be called hair metal. It just like in the 90s when Alternative became the hot label and everything in the rock genre got called that.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

The problem with musical labels is that if something becomes popular when that particular label is hot, that thing also gets that label put on them. Tesla is a straight up rock band but since they became popular when hair metal was the in thing they unfairly got clumped in with that. The same with Def Leppard. Both bands had their own unique sound and we're head and shoulders above all the other Van Halen knockoffs that populated the hair metal label. But they became big in the mid 80s so they had to be called hair metal. It just like in the 90s when Alternative became the hot label and everything in the rock genre got called that.

Labels are useless but for some reason.  it's a very hard habit to break.  Example i find the grunge label ridiculous. but i find myself using it anyway, lol

Mick

• Like 3

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

This! Glad to hear someone feel the same way. A lot of so called hair metal bands are actually straightforward rock n roll, often very blues based.

• Like 3