Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carly Cosgrove - The Whole Enchilada (Vinyl)

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry (Vinyl)

One of my favorite new bands. They're an emo/math rock band from Philadelphia. Their sound features jagged, open-tuned guitars, powerful vocals, introspective lyrics, and a groovy rhythm section. I'm seeing them open for The Wonder Years in Albany on Saturday. I'm beyond excited. I'll be bringing both my records, as they told me on Instagram that they'd sign them.

17 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I love the first two albums, but these two are more speed metal than anything truly reflecting where they would evolve later. Tales From The Twilight World is where they really start to shed their speed metal skin, and I'd assume Somewhere Far Beyond is where it all comes together for you. 

Although I am still exploring them, I would say thats a safe bet.  Tales from Twilight World was their best album to that point and yes, Somewhere Far Beyond blows that away.

17 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This album might be my favourite by them. It's so over the top bombastic, I actually didn't like it much at first. I thought it was a dud, but it grew on me so much! 

I love their last three albums (four, including their symphonic release), but the album after this, A Twist In The Myth, is my least favourite work they have ever done. I despise the production, but the songs themselves are not too exciting either. It's a one off though, I love everything else.

Interesting that you mentioned A Twist In The Myth.  That was what I was planning on listening to tonight so....

Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth

Basically I liked it.  IMO Skalds and Shadows was the best song on it followed by Another Stranger Me.

Its not Nightfall In Middle Earth or Somewhere Far Beyond or A Night At The Opera but its better then Follow The Blind or Imaginations From The Other Side.  At least thats my initial reaction.  So its decent.  Solid but not special.

Tegan And Sarah - The Con

Deep Purple - In Rock

Segue's not the only one who can do a musical 180!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Interesting that you mentioned A Twist In The Myth.  That was what I was planning on listening to tonight so....

Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth

Basically I liked it.  IMO Skalds and Shadows was the best song on it followed by Another Stranger Me.

Its not Nightfall In Middle Earth or Somewhere Far Beyond or A Night At The Opera but its better then Follow The Blind or Imaginations From The Other Side.  At least thats my initial reaction.  So its decent.  Solid but not special.

Wow, you didn't connect with Imaginations From The Other Side? I'd put that as their best work with Nightfall and ANATO!

Led Zeppelin- IV 

Dragonland- Under The Grey Banner 

Under The Grey Banner may be in my top five best sounding metal albums ever. The production is sublime. 

The album itself? A power/symphonic metal delight, you're enjoyment is dependant on whether or not you enjoy the bombast and cheese of the genre. I think its one of the best albums in the genre.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 5

Foreigner- 4

This is Embarrassing. I've had the same reaction as Mick. I played this today and was really blown away! I had so much fun, this is a pure singalong fest. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Foreigner- 4

This is Embarrassing. I've had the same reaction as Mick. I played this today and was really blown away! I had so much fun, this is a pure singalong fest. 

Their best record to my ears. Just perfectly assembled radio ready rock and roll.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Their best record to my ears. Just perfectly assembled radio ready rock and roll.

and i love that it's on the heavier side of AOR......the guitars man!!!!!!!

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

and i love that it's on the heavier side of AOR......the guitars man!!!!!!!

Mick

The side I like best! :7up:

• Like 4

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

King Crimson - Discipline

I always find myself singing Matte Kudusai after I spin Discipline.

• Like 4

Foreigner-4  (10/10)

This has become my fav Foreigner album.  It's like AOR for people who like hard rock.  it's melodic but the heaviness is still there.  I do think however this was their peak.  the next album was a lot softer and the next album softer still.  Mick Jones did say Waiting for a girl wound up being a curse cause it led too MORE ballads and watering down the band.

i thinnk i have to agree there.

Mick

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Foreigner-4  (10/10)

This has become my fav Foreigner album.  It's like AOR for people who like hard rock.  it's melodic but the heaviness is still there.  I do think however this was their peak.  the next album was a lot softer and the next album softer still.  Mick Jones did say Waiting for a girl wound up being a curse cause it led too MORE ballads and watering down the band.

Mick

I do like Agent P,  though aside from a few songs (Tooth And Nail especially) it definitely doesn't match the heights of 4. Haven't checked out Insider Information.

As for the early stuff, I've still never gotten around to the debut, but Double Vision has a few definite filler tracks littered throughout (thankfully not the singles, those things are peak classic rock), and Head Games is a bit more consistent but the average is about the same (meaning less high highs if you're following the math). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Foreigner-4  (10/10)

Mick

Yeah , I can’t stand ballads 🙃😝and always skip them 😎

• Haha 2

Night Ranger - Midnight Madness (8.5/10)

🤔 it’s very good, but personally I feel it’s the weakest of their first 3 albums . 

Journey - Trial by Fire (8/10 )

ditto to what Mick said yesterday 🙂 Some fantastic tracks specially the ‘ still melodic - it’s Journey after all ! -  Hard Rock ones ‘ 🎸 …. but a few fillers towards the end of the album 

( which are yukky softly soft ballads 😝with Neal taking a back seat… bet he was bored stiff ! 😳🤣

Steve Perry - For the Love of Strange Medicine (9/10)

I’ve played this a lot recently and now find myself even slightly preferring it to his debut ‘ Street Talk ‘ 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Night Ranger - Midnight Madness (8.5/10)

🤔 it’s very good, but personally I feel it’s the weakest of their first 3 albums . 

Journey - Trial by Fire (8/10 )

ditto to what Mick said yesterday 🙂 Some fantastic tracks specially the ‘ still melodic - it’s Journey after all ! -  Hard Rock ones ‘ 🎸 …. but a few fillers towards the end of the album 

( which are yukky softly soft ballads 😝with Neal taking a back seat… bet he was bored stiff ! 😳🤣

Steve Perry - For the Love of Strange Medicine (9/10)

I’ve played this a lot recently and now find myself even slightly preferring it to his debut ‘ Street Talk ‘ 

Trial by fire i think woud have been way bigger

1. had they toured it.

2.  had it not come past AOR'S prime.

but ufortunatly the band's f***ing shit relationship's with each other screwed up a true journey rebirth.

Mick

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Trial by fire i think woud have been way bigger

1. had they toured it.

2.  had it not come past AOR'S prime.

but ufortunatly the band's f***ing shit relationship's with each other screwed up a true journey rebirth.

Mick

Yep Mick, I agree with all those points you’ve just made 👍:yes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Born to Run

:heart:

• Like 3