Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Glad you said it and not me...I love Led Zeppelin but everything I've heard of them live is awful, I don't care what the mega fans say!!! 

Sadly I'm not a big VH fan, but for some reason I assumed they'd be great live.

Musically, Van Halen has always sounded good live from what I have heard and the times I've seen them. It's Roth's goofy ass that screws the whole live experience up. He sings different lyrics or just straight up doesn't sing lines at all. It's like he's completely ruining the songs on purpose.

• Like 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Green Day- 21st Century Breakdown 

I think this album took everything about American Idiot that was great, and pushed it further. Both are perfect records to me, so which one you prefer is down to you, because I can't see how you could love one but not the other.

I think I prefer this one to American Idiot, honestly. I love both though. I'd say Insomniac is my favorite, this is my second, and American Idiot, Dookie, and Warning would make my top five, followed by Nimrod

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I think I prefer this one to American Idiot, honestly. I love both though. I'd say Insomniac is my favorite, this is my second, and American Idiot, Dookie, and Warning would make my top five, followed by Nimrod

Warning, Nimrod, AI/21CB and Insomniac are my top five in that order

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Musically, Van Halen has always sounded good live from what I have heard and the times I've seen them. It's Roth's goofy ass that screws the whole live experience up. He sings different lyrics or just straight up doesn't sing lines at all. It's like he's completely ruining the songs on purpose.

That's why Sammy was better!

• Like 1

SoRedTheRose_albumcover_fairuse.jpg

Arcadia -- So Red the Rose (1985).

A Duran Duran side project with some guest musicians like David Gilmour, Sting, and others. Nearly as good as DD's first three albums, and better (IMHO) than any DD album that followed it.

• Like 1

Art_Of_Noise_-_Who's_Afraid_Of_The_Art_O

Definitely not the album cover I had in high school, but I couldn't figure out how to successfully link to a different image. Eh, doesn't matter.

The Art of Noise -- Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? (1984)

Edited by Chronos
Typo. (I blame the bourbon)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, yyz305 said:

That's why Sammy was better!

I enjoy both eras equally. That might be a rarity in the fan base. But Sammy was a complete professional and respectful of the songs live. I can't say the same for Roth.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chronos said:

Avalon_album_cover.jpg

Avalon. :heart:

Perfect album. My favourite Roxy album!

• Like 3

Semisonic- Feeling Strangely Fine 

Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind

Sixpence None The Richer- Sixpence None The Richer 

Lacuna Coil- Lacuna Coil EP

• Like 1

Jimmy Eat World- Futures 

The Juliana Theory- Emotion Is Dead

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Perfect album. My favourite Roxy album!

I've been a fan of this albums since its release.   I still spin it a few time a year.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, goose said:

Zeppelin and VH are two of my absolute favorite studio bands, and also two of my least favorite live acts.  To me they always sounded loaded and totally indisciplined live.

For different reasons though.  Zeppelin (primarily Page) were self indulgent live.  30 minutes of Dazed and Confused?  And, in Page’s case, sloppy to boot.

VH live with Roth was fun to see, but Roth didn’t sound great and he made the show about himself and his schtick.  To the point here, EVH was amazing live.  I never saw VH with Hagar live, but the songs from that era weren’t quite as electric.  I do still love “Van Hagar.”  I saw Sammy with Anthony live in 2019 and he STILL sounded great.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

He was a fun showman, but he didn’t put much effort into the songs.  I loved the 1984 show, but I can see why they never released a live album during that era.  The live album they released in 2015 is at times unlistenable because of him.

• Like 2

Masterplan- Masterplan 

Severely underrated power metal/hard rock band. I think they are one of the best unknown bands around!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:10 AM, Segue Myles said:

One of my favourite bands at the moment. Blind Guardian, I wish I listened to them around the time I first heard of them (2006). Instead, I waited til 2021. Big regret! They lead me to Rhapsody Of Fire, and between them I do not think the power metal genre gets much better. However, if you class Symphony X as power metal (and I do), then you have my three top power metal acts. 

I still recommend Dragonland- Under The Grey Banner. Beautiful sounding production and a really good album!

I recall seeing some of Blind Guardians albums in the store and being like "Well, in might be about The Lord Of The Rings, but its probably some thrash metal band so they would butcher it."  So I skipped it.  I basically dislike thrash, & death metal.  Doom I don't care for but can tolerate more than thrash & death (if I must listen to it - but I prefer not to)..  So it sort of leaves me loving traditional metal, hair metal, power metal, symphonic metal, prog & folk metal.  Plus AOR & classic rock. 

Rhapsondy of Fire I have heard bits and pieces from and want to check more of their stuff out.  They are on my list of bands to explore as is Symphony X.

Dragonland I have never heard of.  I will check them out (once I get through a few other bands first). Thanks a ton for the recommendation!!

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Masterplan- Masterplan 

Severely underrated power metal/hard rock band. I think they are one of the best unknown bands around!

Having taken your advice and checked them out I 100% agree!!!

Edited by TheAccountant