Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

Just so impressed by this album.  Just wow.  So glad I stumbled upon it.  Its re-ignited my love of The Silmarillion and I am going to go back and re-read it.  My paperback copy that I bought way back when it first came out in paperback has seen better days so I just went and bought a hard cover version.  Going to read that.  Plus try more music from this group.  Or give this album another listen.  Just blown away by it.

• Like 1

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You think Van Halen was sober when he was playing live?

No, I assume most rock stars were under the influence of something most of the time, but I think Page was known to be particularly out of it when they played live in the mid 70s.  More so than most guitarists. I don't think that's a reflection on his skill as a guitarist as much as his attitude about performing live.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

Just so impressed by this album.  Just wow.  So glad I stumbled upon it.  Its re-ignited my love of The Silmarillion and I am going to go back and re-read it.  My paperback copy that I bought way back when it first came out in paperback has seen better days so I just went and bought a hard cover version.  Going to read that.  Plus try more music from this group.  Or give this album another listen.  Just blown away by it.

One of my favourite bands at the moment. Blind Guardian, I wish I listened to them around the time I first heard of them (2006). Instead, I waited til 2021. Big regret! They lead me to Rhapsody Of Fire, and between them I do not think the power metal genre gets much better. However, if you class Symphony X as power metal (and I do), then you have my three top power metal acts. 

I still recommend Dragonland- Under The Grey Banner. Beautiful sounding production and a really good album!

Symphony X- The Divine Wings Of Tragedy 

I'm loving them more and more. Definitely emerging as a new obsession. Like Blind Guardian, it shocks me how long I've taken to get around to them. But it doesn't matter. Its never too late to fall for a band/album/song.

• Like 1

Symphony X- Twilight In Olympus 

This band is taking over all my spare time ATM. Its not exceptionally original to my ears. I'm not saying they were not pioneering for their day (I wouldn't know, I wasn't paying attention in the late nineties), but I do know that they sound fantastic. They could end up a major favourite, they are everything I want in prog metal, power metal, symphonic metal, METAL IN GENERAL!! This one might be my favourite album, but I'm currently only really paying attention to the first four. Plenty to digest, I don't feel ready to do a massive dive. 

Symphony X- Symphony X 

This debut is really great. It takes more listens to appreciate compared to the next few albums, because it is rougher around the edges. But without comparing to anything else they have done, and listened too solely by itself, it's a very strong album and I love it. But if it turns out to be their "worst" album, I will be very content.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No, I assume most rock stars were under the influence of something most of the time, but I think Page was known to be particularly out of it when they played live in the mid 70s.  More so than most guitarists. I don't think that's a reflection on his skill as a guitarist as much as his attitude about performing live.

"More so than most guitarists," is possibly true, I can't know that.  More than Eddie Van Halen?  I'd be very surprised based on the things many people have written and said, including people who were married to him or played in his band.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Tears_for_Fears_Songs_from_the_Big_Chair

I was so obsessed with this when I bought it upon release in 1985.

10/10, would listen to for another 37 years.

Fantastic album!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

"More so than most guitarists," is possibly true, I can't know that.  More than Eddie Van Halen?  I'd be very surprised based on the things many people have written and said, including people who were married to him or played in his band.

Zeppelin and VH are two of my absolute favorite studio bands, and also two of my least favorite live acts.  To me they always sounded loaded and totally indisciplined live.

• Like 4

Symphony X- The Damnation Game 

Brilliant album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chronos said:

This is one of those where I really gotta be in the mood for it, because otherwise, songs like The Working Hour, I Believe, Listen, just dont hit it much for me. But when I am in that mood, it really hits good

• Like 2

Green Day- 21st Century Breakdown 

I think this album took everything about American Idiot that was great, and pushed it further. Both are perfect records to me, so which one you prefer is down to you, because I can't see how you could love one but not the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

Zeppelin and VH are two of my absolute favorite studio bands, and also two of my least favorite live acts.  To me they always sounded loaded and totally indisciplined live.

Glad you said it and not me...I love Led Zeppelin but everything I've heard of them live is awful, I don't care what the mega fans say!!! 

Sadly I'm not a big VH fan, but for some reason I assumed they'd be great live.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Glad you said it and not me...I love Led Zeppelin but everything I've heard of them live is awful, I don't care what the mega fans say!!! 

Sadly I'm not a big VH fan, but for some reason I assumed they'd be great live.

i stayed out of it.  but sloppy is sloppy.  And page was live.

No hero worship is gonna fix that......god is he a sloppy live player.

and the endless  jams.....kill me, lol

and the endless adlibs......BABE BABE BABE BABE BABT.........UH......UH.......UH......UH..........OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BABY.

shut......up.

Mick

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i stayed out of it.  but sloppy is sloppy.  And page was live.

No hero worship is gonna fix that......god is he a sloppy live player.

and the endless  jams.....kill me, lol

and the endless adlibs......BABE BABE BABE BABE BABT.........UH......UH.......UH......UH..........OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BABY.

shut......up.

Mick

Yeah Zeppelin...man if you aren't in the mood and they come on...it is unbearable 😑 

If I smoked weed I think I'd be a much bigger fan 

• Haha 4

Nightwish- Oceanborn 

Exquisite album. This is still many old school fans favourite album, and I can hear why. Its rich atmosphere is one of a kind. However, I think I prefer Wishmaster of the two.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:25 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox

Rush - Moving Pictures

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction

Excellent choices 👍😎

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chronos said:

One of the few ‘ pop ‘ bands from the 80s 

I genuinely like/rate 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goose said:

🤔 I feel the same :yes:

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:38 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

A tie between May and Alex for me.

Lerxst … due to his versatility & constant 

evolution  , especially circa ‘76-‘85 , 

is my No.1 favourite - Note:  ‘favourite’, not necessarily from a technical point of view ‘the best’ - 🎸player 

• Like 3