Oasis - Be Here Now

Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World

• Like 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Eh, I used to feel similarly but my opinion has changed. Despite the apparent sloppiness of his playing, the guitar tracks on the studio albums are impeccably consistent, and he was basically pioneering the way guitars would be recorded in a studio and placed in a mix on those first few albums. Plus his tones are exquisite. He may not have had Hendrix’s je ne sais quoi or Beck’s flawless technique, but he certainly had dozens upon dozens of up and coming guitarists trying to get his sound and learn his riffs. In my book all that stuff does add to your quality as a player, and I put him miles and miles over Clapton for those reasons. He’s not my all time fav and probably doesn’t sit in my top ten, but I love his playing on the studio records dearly.

Then would you say Lennon is one of the greatest guitarists ever?  As a songwriter he eats Page's lunch for him.  And he's certainly influential in his playing and recording.

It's curious that since 1980 Plant has put out a ton of great music.

12 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Then would you say Lennon is one of the greatest guitarists ever?  As a songwriter he eats Page's lunch for him.  And he's certainly influential in his playing and recording.

It's curious that since 1980 Plant has put out a ton of great music.

Well no it’s a holistic equation. It’s not just Page’s writing that makes him awesome to me, it’s the way he plays and the way he records and produces what he plays. The sounds he gets, the consistency of his double tracking, the layers and beautiful ways they intersect. John’s a fine guitarist, but doesn’t have a particularly stand out way of playing, aside from a couple key moments, like his solos on In The End. Harrison on the other hand had a very unique style of playing, and was probably the more influential guitarist of the two in that band for that reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oasis - Definitey Maybe

Oasis - Be Here Now

Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World

Be Here Now continues to amaze me with how it really is right up there with the first 2 albums at least to me

Unleash The Archers - Time Stand Still

Better by far than their first 2 albums but not as good (not even close actually) to Apex & Abyss.  But on their way to what those albums would be.  Main reason for the continued improvement was they were reducing the growling and putting more and more emphasis on Britany's vocals.  For my ears the title track is the best song on this album.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well no it’s a holistic equation. It’s not just Page’s writing that makes him awesome to me, it’s the way he plays and the way he records and produces what he plays. The sounds he gets, the consistency of his double tracking, the layers and beautiful ways they intersect. John’s a fine guitarist, but doesn’t have a particularly stand out way of playing, aside from a couple key moments, like his solos on In The End. Harrison on the other hand had a very unique style of playing, and was probably the more influential guitarist of the two in that band for that reason.

You’re sort of making my initial point.  Recording and double tracking aren’t really guitar PLAYING skills.  They’re music producing skills.  Page is a great songwriter who created some great albums.  He’s revered as a guitar god, and that is where I think he gets more praise than his technical skill merits.

I place Harrison well above Page.

43 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

You’re sort of making my initial point.  Recording and double tracking aren’t really guitar PLAYING skills.  They’re music producing skills.  Page is a great songwriter who created some great albums.  He’s revered as a guitar god, and that is where I think he gets more praise than his technical skill merits.

I place Harrison well above Page.

No, double tracking is absolutely a guitar playing skill. You’re missing my point here. To do a really good clean double track requires a great deal of precision. The fact that his guitars still sound “sloppy” after he’s double tracked them and layered them perfectly tells me the sloppiness is entirely intentional and he could play cleaner if he chose to. 

1 hour ago, ST3V said:

Be Here Now continues to amaze me with how it really is right up there with the first 2 albums at least to me

It’s not up there with them for me, but it’s still well worth my attention. Lots of good stuff and some of the tunes absolutely yes could be on either of the first two records (maybe with a minute of jamming shaved off though). Stand By Me, and My Big Mouth especially. D’you Know What I Mean as well. I’m not a huge fan of Magic Pie though, so it kinda kills the vibe with how long it is right after two I’m really fond of.

12 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Journey-Trial by Fire (8/10)

I will always defend this ooe.  is it their best? no.  it's a bit overlong and it reads a bit more like a Perry Solo record in places but i love a large Majority of it. Also Perry found such a sweet mature tone in his voice here.  Not really prime perry anymore.  More like worn well with age.

Oh and some of Schon's solos are BLISTERING on this album.

Mick

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one the last time you mentioned it. I returned to it and was happy with it.

I also feel similarly towards Styx and their album Cyclorama. The "lesser" albums of these bands aren't terrible, for the most part.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one the last time you mentioned it. I returned to it and was happy with it.

I also feel similarly towards Styx and their album Cyclorama. The "lesser" albums of these bands aren't terrible, for the most part.

all hail the giant carrot!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No, double tracking is absolutely a guitar playing skill. You’re missing my point here. To do a really good clean double track requires a great deal of precision. The fact that his guitars still sound “sloppy” after he’s double tracked them and layered them perfectly tells me the sloppiness is entirely intentional and he could play cleaner if he chose to. 

I think we're going to have to just agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I think we're going to have to just agree to disagree.

Like or dislike Page however much you want, but I do think there’s plenty of evidence he’s a fantastic guitarist.

• Like 1

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox

Rush - Moving Pictures

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Like or dislike Page however much you want, but I do think there’s plenty of evidence he’s a fantastic guitarist.

My point was suggesting that sloppy play is a sign of skill, especially in the studio, seems a little, "he's playing 3D chess," to me.  If you like Page's music, good on you.  I do too.  He's an overrated guitar player IMO.

• Like 2

My point was suggesting that sloppy play is a sign of skill, especially in the studio, seems a little, "he's playing 3D chess," to me.  If you like Page's music, good on you.  I do too.  He's an overrated guitar player IMO.

It doesn’t my seem that way to me. It seems to me like he knew exactly how he wanted the parts to sound and played them exactly that way.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

It doesn’t my seem that way to me. It seems to me like he knew exactly how he wanted the parts to sound and played them exactly that way.

I don't want to belabor this point too much, because I just don't think you and I will agree here, but, for example, listen to his solo in Heartbreaker on LZII, and then listen to him try to do it live on How the West Was Won.  He eventually stops and starts noodling on some classical music piece because he just can't do it live.  

• Like 1

I don't want to belabor this point too much, because I just don't think you and I will agree here, but, for example, listen to his solo in Heartbreaker on LZII, and then listen to him try to do it live on How the West Was Won.  He eventually stops and starts noodling on some classical music piece because he just can't do it live.  

Wasn’t he in a drunken stupor on Zep’s officially released live stuff? Not that there aren’t plenty of guitarists who can play great with both hands behind their back and who knows what in their veins, but I don’t really think too much about his capabilities when he’s that impaired.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation

The WLDLFE - Goodbye To All Of That

Meet Me @ The Altar - Past // Present // Future

Meet Me @ The Altar - Model Citizen EP

Meet Me @ The Altar - Model Citizen Acoustic EP

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wasn’t he in a drunken stupor on Zep’s officially released live stuff? Not that there aren’t plenty of guitarists who can play great with both hands behind their back and who knows what in their veins, but I don’t really think too much about his capabilities when he’s that impaired.

You think Van Halen was sober when he was playing live?

• Haha 2