• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late last night:

Unleash The Archers - Defy The Skies

Unleash The Archers - Explorers

Unleash The Archers - Behold The Devastation

Unleash The Archers - Demons Of The Astrowaste

The first is an EP from 2012.  Not bad but nothing special.  The second is an EP from 2019.  The second song (Heartless World) is good.  The first song on it (Northwest Passage) was excellent - then again, I had watched youtube video's of the playing it live so I basically new the song would kick rump.  Great music, great lyrics, great vocals.

The 3rd record was a full album from 2009.  Ugh!  Yuck.  Not to my taste.  Way, way, way to much growling and other harsh vocals.  Thank goodness they have moved away from that - what a waste of Britany's great vocals.

The 4th record is their follow up album to Behold The Devastation and it is somewhat better.  Still to much growling for my likes.  But going in the right direction..

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1

Since Monday:

Knuckle Puck - Copacetic (Vinyl)

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities

The Wonder Years - No Closer To Heaven

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry

Carly Cosgrove - Woah, Just Take It Easy Man. EP

Four Year Strong - Enemy Of The World (Re-recorded) (Vinyl)

Super American - Sup (Vinyl)

Four Year Strong - Rise Or Die Trying (Vinyl)

Journey-Infinity(10/10)

I don't know if this is unpopular but the Perry/Schon/Vallory/Rollie/Smith(well Ainsley Dunbar isa on the skins here but you get me, lol)  is my fav lineup of Journey.  No Bashing Cain but with Rollie you had 2 great but different vocalists and their trade offs in songs was amazing.  and oh i wish Rollie had stayed on a bit  Sigh......I  guess Cain helped them to their greatest success right?

But Rollie Might be my fav journey Member not named Steve Perry.

Mick

• Like 6

On 3/4/2023 at 5:41 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

It's all a matter of taste of course.  I myself don't hear the similarity between Eruption and I'll Wait.  And it strikes me as a bit like criticizing Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington for having a distinctive vibe to their acting.

For me Van Halen is the single greatest rock guitarist ever.  No one, not Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, etc. are even close in my book.  Iommi is my clear number 2, and even he isn't close.

Hendrix is the GOAT.. Not even close.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Hendrix is the GOAT.. Not even close.

A tie between May and Alex for me.

• Like 2

Journey-Trial by Fire (8/10)

I will always defend this ooe.  is it their best? no.  it's a bit overlong and it reads a bit more like a Perry Solo record in places but i love a large Majority of it. Also Perry found such a sweet mature tone in his voice here.  Not really prime perry anymore.  More like worn well with age.

Oh and some of Schon's solos are BLISTERING on this album.

Mick

• Like 3

As an aside, I've said this before, but Page is the single most overrated musician in history in my opinion.  I love Zeppelin's songs, but live Page's playing was absolutely horrendous.   And there are many musicians who performed when they were f*cked up (Van Halen, coincidentally), so that's really no excuse. He wrote great songs in Zeppelin, but by that metric John Lennon and Bob Dylan are among the greatest guitarists of all time, and I doubt anyone believes that.  And you do have to wonder why after Zeppelin disbanded, Page did next to nothing for the next 40 years and counting.  A couple decent albums with Paul Rodgers?  A good album with Coverdale?

Not good enough.

1 hour ago, Mithrandir said:

Alex and Page are my two favorites, but Jimi is just too good.

Jimi is fab

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

As an aside, I've said this before, but Page is the single most overrated musician in history in my opinion.  I love Zeppelin's songs, but live Page's playing was absolutely horrendous.   And there are many musicians who performed when they were f*cked up (Van Halen, coincidentally), so that's really no excuse. He wrote great songs in Zeppelin, but by that metric John Lennon and Bob Dylan are among the greatest guitarists of all time, and I doubt anyone believes that.  And you do have to wonder why after Zeppelin disbanded, Page did next to nothing for the next 40 years and counting.  A couple decent albums with Paul Rodgers?  A good album with Coverdale?

Not good enough.

Eh, I used to feel similarly but my opinion has changed. Despite the apparent sloppiness of his playing, the guitar tracks on the studio albums are impeccably consistent, and he was basically pioneering the way guitars would be recorded in a studio and placed in a mix on those first few albums. Plus his tones are exquisite. He may not have had Hendrix’s je ne sais quoi or Beck’s flawless technique, but he certainly had dozens upon dozens of up and coming guitarists trying to get his sound and learn his riffs. In my book all that stuff does add to your quality as a player, and I put him miles and miles over Clapton for those reasons. He’s not my all time fav and probably doesn’t sit in my top ten, but I love his playing on the studio records dearly.

• Like 2