Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That miming thing is the whole reason the music video for Bohemian Rhapsody exists! Queen were forced to mime playing Killer Queen on the program and they hated doing it, so next time they got on they determined to send in an accompanying video rather than have to mime their instruments, one that really matched the effect of the song.

I think The Beatles created the promo video but QUEEN took it to a whole new level with that one.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avantasia - A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society

Good album.

Overall I would say The Scarecrow remains my favorite album from this group, followed by a tie between Moonglow and The Mystery of Time, followed by A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society, followed by the rest of the albums.  Good albums - but I do prefer Masterplan's albums overall.  Anyway, on to check out some other groups that I have found in youtube. 

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Avantasia - A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society

Good album.

Overall I would say The Scarecrow remains my favorite album from this group, followed by a tie between Moonglow and The Mystery of Time, followed by A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society, followed by the rest of the albums.  Good albums - but I do prefer Masterplan's albums overall.  Anyway, on to check out some other groups that I have found in youtube. 

I need to get caught up on them. I missed the last two albums. I still think Scarecrow, Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon are their best stuff. I listened to all three yesterday for the first time in a while and I love them as much today as I did when they were released.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Behemoth- The Satanist

Still one of my top favourite albums of any genre from the 2010s. Forgot how powerful this is. 

On 3/1/2023 at 3:19 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

No one was Edward Van Halen before he was.  There WERE many great guitarists, including Emmett.  But Van Halen is sui generis.  That's the point.

True that Emmett wasn't EVH, but Emmett was doing EVH stuff before EVH and he never gets noticed for that.

EVH is a bit of an enigma for me.  While I do enjoy his guitar work and recognize his brilliance, he just doesn't have enough variety in his sound to be among my favorites.  Especially his solos.  They are undoubtedly great, but just to much alike.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

True that Emmett wasn't EVH, but Emmett was doing EVH stuff before EVH and he never gets noticed for that.

EVH is a bit of an enigma for me.  While I do enjoy his guitar work and recognize his brilliance, he just doesn't have enough variety in his sound to be among my favorites.  Especially his solos.  They are undoubtedly great, but just to much alike.

This was my beef with EVH.  the first time you see him you DO go......ho-ly shit.

the 131st time at least i go.....:zzz:

just me.

Mick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

It's all a matter of taste of course.  I myself don't hear the similarity between Eruption and I'll Wait.  And it strikes me as a bit like criticizing Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington for having a distinctive vibe to their acting.

For me Van Halen is the single greatest rock guitarist ever.  No one, not Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, etc. are even close in my book.  Iommi is my clear number 2, and even he isn't close.

• Like 2

Frozen Crown - Winterbane

Ok, so what do I think of this band from Italy?  Well, it complicated.  

For starters, its almost 2 bands.  The first group was there for the first 2 albums with one of the guitarists (Frederico) writing most of the music.  Then the bass player, the drummer and the other guitarist (Thalia) left and were replaced with a new drummer, bass player and guitarist (Sheena).  That group was there for the 3rd album.

First the positives.  Frederico is an impressive guitarist.  So is Thalia.  She is now teemed up with the former lead singer of Gloryhammer - should be very interesting.  The first song they have released I enjoyed.  Thalia's replacement (Sheena) is also a heck of a guitarist - looks like she is about 15 but she can shred.  So there is some very good guitar work on all 3 albums.

Now for the negatives.  The drum work on the first 2 albums did nothing for me.  For my ears it was just the same, never varying, beat played very fast.  Not appealing.  Since Frederico writes the music I put the blame more on him then the drummer they had for those albums.  On the 3rd album the drum work is better.  Overall I think the change in drummers was an upgrade.  But it could also be that the song writing got better.

Now the big negative.  The lead vocals do nothing for me.  In fact, they are a significant drag.  I think the lead singer got better on the 3rd album so there is some hope but for the most part its a major negative for the band.

The best song (for my ears) is "The Water Dancer" which is on Winterbane.  Problem with the album is they also tried to cover Judas Priests "Night Crawler".  Don't try to cover Judas Priest unless you have a seriously good vocalist - which this band defiantly does not have (IMO).

So, am I glad I listened to all 3 albums?  Yes.  The Water Dancer is enjoyable and their was some very good guitar work through the albums.  Am I crazy for this group?  No way..  Would I listen to anything else they put out?  Yes, I would give it a shot.  If the vocalist either changed or improved and if the musical songwriting got better they could be ok - their is talent there.  Note - the lyrics are not bad.  Just need a better singer (IMO).   

• Like 1

Holy Knights - A Gate Through the Past

This popped up in youtube so I gave it a shot.  That was a mistake.  Not to my taste and I won't listen to them again.   From what I can see they only have one other album and I am not going to check that out.  Sort of sound like Rhapsody of Fire so if you like Rhapsody of Fire you might like this.  But I did not.  o - well, not everything can be decent (much less great).  On to try something more in youtube. 

• Like 1

Dreamtale - Everlasting Flame

Don't really know much about this group.   I know they are from Finland, I know they have a female lead singer on this album but that she was new to the band and previously they had a male lead singer.  But I found them on youtube and gave them a try.  Glad I did.  The album sort of ranges from ok to good.  I enjoyed it.  Nothing really special but enjoyable.  Think I will try some more from this group.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Holy Knights - A Gate Through the Past

This popped up in youtube so I gave it a shot.  That was a mistake.  Not to my taste and I won't listen to them again.   From what I can see they only have one other album and I am not going to check that out.  Sort of sound like Rhapsody of Fire so if you like Rhapsody of Fire you might like this.  But I did not.  o - well, not everything can be decent (much less great).  On to try something more in youtube. 

Okay I just tried them...no...but I get the comparison! I love RoF to death!

• Like 1

Magnitude 9- Reality In Focus 

Nothing new here, but I thought this obscure album from 2001 was an absolute delight. Near perfect prog metal, and better than a handful of DT albums from that decade. Worth checking out.

In Flames- Foregone 

I just can't get over how much I love this album. In Flames have my heart already but if they keep this up they may also be my first tattoo. I love the album cover😂