Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 hour ago, Mithrandir said:

Same here.  I think Rik Emmett is extremely under rated as a guitarist.  Dude was doing EVH stuff before EVH.

The solo in Rock n Roll Machine is so f***ing insane!

No one was Edward Van Halen before he was.  There WERE many great guitarists, including Emmett.  But Van Halen is sui generis.  That's the point.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang

The Rolling Stones - The Brussels Affair.  Early 70s Stones live albums are so great because their discography was exploding with "must play," songs.  The run of albums from Beggars Banquet to Goats Head Soup does not have a single wasted track.

• Like 5

Fleetwood Mac- Bare Trees 

In my version of the world, this album turned FM into superstars.

Fleetwood Mac- Penguin 

A lot of fans hate this album. I like it. 

Fleetwood Mac- Heroes Are Hard To Find 

Atrocious artwork, brilliant music and songs. 

• Like 4

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Fleetwood Mac- Bare Trees 

In my version of the world, this album turned FM into superstars.

Fleetwood Mac- Penguin 

A lot of fans hate this album. I like it. 

Fleetwood Mac- Heroes Are Hard To Find 

Atrocious artwork, brilliant music and songs. 

lucky for me i don't give two shits about artwork.  Cause heroes is killer.

And Penguin is good but is marred by two members who no more fit the pop direction than tom Waits would have.....Bob Weston and Dave Walker.

Mick

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Dio-Holy Diver (10/10)

Mick

Hey look that’s not a singer songwriter yacht rock band!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

lucky for me i don't give two shits about artwork.  Cause heroes is killer.

And Penguin is good but is marred by two members who no more fit the pop direction than tom Waits would have.....Bob Weston and Dave Walker.

Mick

I always think that Heroes must have been affected by that cover, as in the seventies lots of covers similar were pulled from shelves etc.

And I love album artwork. An album is a full package, and when the artist nails a design that fits the content, it's magic.

• Like 3

Dan Fogelberg- Souvenirs 

Carole King- Tapestry

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I always think that Heroes must have been affected by that cover, as in the seventies lots of covers similar were pulled from shelves etc.

And I love album artwork. An album is a full package, and when the artist nails a design that fits the content, it's magic.

What’s your favorite album that has artwork you dislike?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

What’s your favorite album that has artwork you dislike?

Plenty!! One of the worst for me is Emotion Is Dead by The Juliana Theory. It looks like a mashup of images made by a bored kid on Microsoft word in 2000.

• Like 2

I also really hate Scorpions pedo-friendly artwork for Virgin Killer. I love that album, but I can't understand what the label was thinking. The band didn't approve it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I also really hate Scorpions pedo-friendly artwork for Virgin Killer. I love that album, but I can't understand what the label was thinking. The band didn't approve it.

They have a bunch of other albums with banned artwork. Lovedrive, Love At First Sting, and Taken By Force come to mind. But Virgin Killer is in a league of its own. I don't know how they allowed that

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

They have a bunch of other album with banned artwork. Lovedrive, Love At First Sting, and Taken By Force come to mind. But Virgin Killer is in a league of its own. I don't know how they allowed that

If you look into it, the record label was insistent. The band was mortified. But the seventies was an unusual time. I'm not one to ever censor art, but there are exceptions.

Interestingly,  the model has always been okay with it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Radio was still good in the 90s too. It was probably about 15 or so years ago when things started changing for it since people were using the internet more to find music. Sirius XM is better as there are stations that will play deep cuts and bands that normally wouldn't get played elsewhere. I usually listen to Ozzy's Boneyard or Liquid Metal. Ozzy's Boneyard plays old school rock and metal. Liquid Metal plays metal from all eras. They've done a decent job of raising the profile of some newer metal bands. Octane is the modern hard rock station although a decent amount of what they play does lean towards metal. Alt Nation is something to listen to when you're in the mood for rock that doesn't quite fit the normal mold.

I guess its just different tastes.  I found FM radio started not being all that great to listen to in the early 90's - about the time grunge rose up and hair metal was swept away.  

When it comes to Sirius SM I tend to listen to Ozzy's Boneyard, Hair Nation, some Classic Rewind / Classic Vinyl, some Symphony Hall & some Met Opera.  Don't go to Twister, Liquid Metal or Octane.  When I do they turn me off for some reason.  Which is odd since they do play harder stuff.  But what I have heard I have just not cared for.

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Rik emmett deserves more credit my friend.  Tremendous singer and lead guitarist.

A band i feel is often kinda tossed off as rush lite.  but honestly they're not alike.

to my ears anyway.

Mick

100& agree - Triumph was not Rush lite.  My ears also tell me they are a different kind of band.  Also agree that he was a tremendous singer and guitarist.

Triumph was an excellent live band - was lucky enough to see them in person on The Sport of Kings tour.  Wonderful show. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

Same here.  I think Rik Emmett is extremely under rated as a guitarist.  Dude was doing EVH stuff before EVH.

The solo in Rock n Roll Machine is so f***ing insane!

ive said it for years, the RnR Machine solo is Canada's Eruption!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Avantasia - Angel of Babylon

Good but not as good as The Scarecrow.

You missed The Wicked Symphony. That's part two of the Scarecrow trilogy. Angel Of Babylon is third. They all tell the story of the Scarecrow character.

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I also wonder what they were thinking naming the album Virgin Killer? That idiotic choice falls completely on the band.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You missed The Wicked Symphony. That's part two of the Scarecrow trilogy. Angel Of Babylon is third. They all tell the story of the Scarecrow character.

Our of order but better late than never:

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony

Still like The Scarecrow the most of their albums.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

My guess is some cocky or know nothing exec didn’t understand the difference between edgy and pedophilic.

• Like 1