Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journey-Escape(10/10)

Journey was my first AOR/melodic rock band so they have a speciel place with me.  I love this record to death.  Though I start it at Stone In Love.  Karaoke wounded Don't Stop Believing' and that show Glee Snapped it's neck.  i can't stomach the song anymore:puke:

Everything else is a prime album. the 10 is cause i start at SIL lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

Peter Gabriel - So

Peter Gabriel - Security

White Reaper - Asking For A Ride

Skrillex - Quest For Fire

Skrillex - Don’t Get Too Close

Save Face - Another Kill For The Highlight Reel

• Like 5

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Avantasia isn't the kind of band that would ever get played on the radio during any decade. They don't have that commercial appeal. It's a metal project started by Tobias Sammet who sings for the power metal band Edguy. This is just the start of what they would become. It would end up becoming this big metal project that includes many guests vocalist from the metal world. Like Michael Kiske of Helloween. It literally became a metal opera. You should check out the albums The Scarecrow, Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon. Those three albums form a trilogy. 

Finally, in the name of all that is great in rock and metal please stop listening to FM radio to try and find new stuff to listen to. It's not happening. There is no better way to find new stuff than going to YouTube and paying attention to what people post here and other places online. FM radio is completely dead.

Thanks for filling me in on them.  Thanks also for mentioning Edguy - now I have to check them out.

As for FM radio, one upon a time you got good music there.  Not since the 1980's though.  Now its either terrible music or re-runs of what was cutting edge in the 1970's and 1980's.  But I have heard it for decades.  Nice once in a while but I want something more- like I used to get in the 1980's.  Good new music all the time.  Tried Sirius XM and thats not much better.  Yes, Youtube is where I have been going recently to find new music - that why I have found so much interesting music recently.  Trust me - I am taking your advice.  .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush- Fly By Night 

This is such an excellent album. One I overlook and come back toand find myself thinking, why don't I play this more?

100% agreement here!!  My 4th favorite Rush album (behind 2112, Power Windows & HYF).  

Worked from home today so that meant I got the record player going and pulled LP's out of the moving box.  Last time I did this I had a day with a ton of duds.  This time started slow but got better.  So I wound up listing to:

It Fun to Square Dance - this is an album with an assortment of square-dancing songs by various artists.  Its an album that I remember from when I was a very young kid in the late 1960's / early 1970's.  Musically it has not aged well for me.  The album is in good shape which is somewhat remarkable in a way.  I think it dates to the 1950's or early 1960's.  The thing I rmost remember was that as a young kid I had a crush on the lady pictured square dancing on the front of it.  Frankly, I still sort of feel that way - she is a real knock out (IMO).  Anyway, moving on:

Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf

This is another one I remember from when I was a very young kid.  Liked how the various instruments represented Peter, the Wolf, his grandfather, the bird, the cat, the hunters and the duck..  Liked how the Wolf was not killed put captured by the young kid (Peter) and taken to the zoo.  Still enjoyed it.  Good music.

Handel - The Messiah

A classic.

Then I moved over to youtube:

Avantasia - The Metal Opera, Pt. 2

Good album.  Interesting band.  Will have to keep listening to more of their work.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Thanks for filling me in on them.  Thanks also for mentioning Edguy - now I have to check them out.

As for FM radio, one upon a time you got good music there.  Not since the 1980's though.  Now its either terrible music or re-runs of what was cutting edge in the 1970's and 1980's.  But I have heard it for decades.  Nice once in a while but I want something more- like I used to get in the 1980's.  Good new music all the time.  Tried Sirius XM and thats not much better.  Yes, Youtube is where I have been going recently to find new music - that why I have found so much interesting music recently.  Trust me - I am taking your advice.  .

Radio was still good in the 90s too. It was probably about 15 or so years ago when things started changing for it since people were using the internet more to find music. Sirius XM is better as there are stations that will play deep cuts and bands that normally wouldn't get played elsewhere. I usually listen to Ozzy's Boneyard or Liquid Metal. Ozzy's Boneyard plays old school rock and metal. Liquid Metal plays metal from all eras. They've done a decent job of raising the profile of some newer metal bands. Octane is the modern hard rock station although a decent amount of what they play does lean towards metal. Alt Nation is something to listen to when you're in the mood for rock that doesn't quite fit the normal mold.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Avantasia -The Scarecrow

Good album.  The best of the 3 I have listened to from this group so far.  At least for my ears anyway.

This and The Wicked Symphony are my favorites from them. The guest vocalists start to become more numerous at this point.

• Like 1

Mastodon- Once More 'Round The Sun

I see fans are divided on this one. I love it, personally.

• Like 3

UFO- Obsession 

I can't help but think of UFO as having everything a classic rock fan could want. Their best albums are just overruning with great riffs, solos, hooks, arrangements, vocals. And they have a broad appeal. Fans of Styx, Rush, Van Halen, Boston, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, even modern favourites like Black Stone Cherry or Alter Bridge: their is JOY to find in this bands discography. 

I'm really happy that I found that radio station that plays music like this. It means I can finally praise the radio for something 😄 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

This and The Wicked Symphony are my favorites from them. The guest vocalists start to become more numerous at this point.

I really love Edguy. Great albums. And I enjoy Avantasia to a point, but the guest vocals on newer albums become distracting. Like Ayreon, it just feels overly contrived after a while. But I definitely think your assessment on their best works are right!

I didn't realise for ages that they were connected to Edguy. On the old Nightwish forum (oh, how I miss it), I remember there being lots of heated discussions of who was better. I think the majority felt the best works were by Edguy, but Avantasia is hardly unworthy of praise.

I also like Gloryhammer, Rage and on that note, I guess I have always been a power metal fan and didn't realise 😅 

• Like 1

Deep Purple- Machine Head 

An outstanding album. I'm still awaiting yhe release of Deep Purple by Machine Head.

• Like 8

Journey-Freedom (5/10)

I decided to revisit this after being unhappy.  And....uh........it's fine.  There's nothing wrong or bad here but it's the same problem i had with Muse's latest.  It Just sounds like an AI  was tasked with making a Journey record.  As such it hits all of  the Journey bullet points but it's all so.......sanitized and i got say the result is vaguely creepy.  Like your listening to the animated zombie corpse of a dearly departed band.

oh and the production is garbage.  again very digital AI sound.

I shall be shelving this.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Phenomenon (UFO album) - Wikipedia

Gave UFO another listen and they just don't connect with me enough to listen to on a regular basis.

Lots of talent, but just not for me.

i'm playing it now too.  Because i believe in giving fare shakes.  File this under a band that has EVERYTHING.....and i do mean everything i should love.  so why am i always throughly bored? lol.

Like Yea your great players but i like other bands that have played this  exact schtick WAY more.

:confused:

Mick

• Like 1

Triumph-Triumph/In The Beginning (9/10)

See when i was i was referring to me likeing bands similar to UFO.  Triumph is one.  Played a very similar style.....I just get more out of Triumph.  Love em.

Mick

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Triumph-Triumph/In The Beginning (9/10)

See when i was i was referring to me likeing bands similar to UFO.  Triumph is one.  Played a very similar style.....I just get more out of Triumph.  Love em.

Mick

Same here.  I think Rik Emmett is extremely under rated as a guitarist.  Dude was doing EVH stuff before EVH.

The solo in Rock n Roll Machine is so f***ing insane!

Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mithrandir said:

Same here.  I think Rik Emmett is extremely under rated as a guitarist.  Dude was doing EVH stuff before EVH.

The solo in Rock n Roll Machine is so f***ing insane!

Rik emmett deserves more credit my friend.  Tremendous singer and lead guitarist.

A band i feel is often kinda tossed off as rush lite.  but honestly they're not alike.

to my ears anyway.

Mick

• Like 5