Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continued exploring the bands I am finding on youtube since I am having such luck with them.

Avantasia - The Metal Opera

Interesting songs, good vocals, lots of Helloween influences.  Add's up to an interesting album  Glad I tried it.  Never heard of the group b4 - why don't groups like this get played on regular FM radio in the US?  Once upon a time they might have - (back in the 1980's.) but if they are getting regular airplay its not on any station I listen to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Continued exploring the bands I am finding on youtube since I am having such luck with them.

Avantasia - The Metal Opera

Interesting songs, good vocals, lots of Helloween influences.  Add's up to an interesting album  Glad I tried it.  Never heard of the group b4 - why don't groups like this get played on regular FM radio in the US?  Once upon a time they might have - (back in the 1980's.) but if they are getting regular airplay its not on any station I listen to.

Avantasia isn't the kind of band that would ever get played on the radio during any decade. They don't have that commercial appeal. It's a metal project started by Tobias Sammet who sings for the power metal band Edguy. This is just the start of what they would become. It would end up becoming this big metal project that includes many guests vocalist from the metal world. Like Michael Kiske of Helloween. It literally became a metal opera. You should check out the albums The Scarecrow, Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon. Those three albums form a trilogy. 

Finally, in the name of all that is great in rock and metal please stop listening to FM radio to try and find new stuff to listen to. It's not happening. There is no better way to find new stuff than going to YouTube and paying attention to what people post here and other places online. FM radio is completely dead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Avantasia isn't the kind of band that would ever get played on the radio during any decade. They don't have that commercial appeal. It's a metal project started by Tobias Sammet who sings for the power metal band Edguy. This is just the start of what they would become. It would end up becoming this big metal project that includes many guests vocalist from the metal world. Like Michael Kiske of Helloween. It literally became a metal opera. You should check out the albums The Scarecrow, Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon. Those three albums form a trilogy. 

Finally, in the name of all that is great in rock and metal please stop listening to FM radio to try and find new stuff to listen to. It's not happening. There is no better way to find new stuff than going to YouTube and paying attention to what people post here and other places online. FM radio is completely dead.

Europe is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to metal. 

• Like 3

UFO- Lights Out 

This is a fantastic album! It's varied, excellently played, and whilst I'd agree with naysayers it's generic in part and nothing entirely original for that era, who cares when the songs are this good? Michael Schenker might be in my top ten guitarists ever! Just wow, they are like a blend of classic metal and AOR. Definitely one of the greats, playing them alongside Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Rush feels *right*.

• Like 6

Rush- Fly By Night 

This is such an excellent album. One I overlook and come back toand find myself thinking, why don't I play this more?

• Like 9

Helloween- Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt.1 

Another band I like a lot and never play (there is only so much time in a day lmao). I love this album and the following one. Listening to it again reminds me how much I love Blind Guardian and Rhapsody, which makes it a little puzzling I haven't delved deeper into this bands discography.

• Like 4

UFO- Strangers In The Night 

Okay, this version of Love To Love might just be my favourite song ever. Like WOW.

• Like 4

In Flames- Foregone 

This latest album just keeps getting better! I'm starting to think this might be their best album to introduce newcomers.

Edited by Segue Myles

UFO- Force It

Excellent album. 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

Lacuna Coil- Halflife EP 

This EP is precious. Sandwiched between In A Reverie and Unleashed Memories, it still has a personality all its own. 

Edited by Segue Myles

Black Sabbath-Sabatage (9/10)

I think people short change Sabbath......particularly......Ozzy era Sabbath.....by just referring to them as metal all the time.  i mean i'll admit that is there. Of course but the styles melded are really cool.

On this album you have acoustic stuff.  Theatrical rock (Think the Alice Cooper like Meglomainia and the Writ) Harder stuff (Symptom of the Universe) something almost bordering on synth pop (Am I going Insane....though that song is.......a song:laugh:)

I love the melting pot of it all.

Miick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 6