Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Really? That was back when both of them were super hot. I mean they're still very good looking now but the 2006 version of them? Come on!

I forgot to add the videos are filmed by Simone Simons. 

But seriously, I was bingeing old videos of LC and WT and my god I forgot how beautiful they were! Amazes me neither became bigger media personalities. The world was fawning over Paris Hilton and the likes whilst is metal heads had these two fun loving metal singers who just...eugh wow.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I forgot to add the videos are filmed by Simone Simons. 

But seriously, I was bingeing old videos of LC and WT and my god I forgot how beautiful they were! Amazes me neither became bigger media personalities. The world was fawning over Paris Hilton and the likes whilst is metal heads had these two fun loving metal singers who just...eugh wow.

I'm not surprised Lacuna Coil didn't get bigger. I don't think they had the songs with mass appeal to them. Plus, I knew many people who didn't listen to them because they didn't care for the male vocals even though it seems like most of those people liked Cristina a lot. Within Temptation should have been much bigger in North America. They have those mass appeal songs. They have always had melodic pop hooks. Songs like Stand My Ground, Memories, Angels, Frozen, All I Need, Faster and a number of others should have been huge hits.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not surprised Lacuna Coil didn't get bigger. I don't think they had the songs with mass appeal to them. Plus, I knew many people who didn't listen to them because they didn't care for the male vocals even though it seems like most of those people liked Cristina a lot. Within Temptation should have been much bigger in North America. They have those mass appeal songs. They have always had melodic pop hooks. Songs like Stand My Ground, Memories, Angels, Frozen, All I Need, Faster and a number of others should have been huge hits.

i have to agree with you as far as the American market.  Number 1 female fronted  metal (in that kinda Euro style to clarify) only had it's day with Evenessence and was seen as novelty here. Also as you said LC in listenig to them they don't really have hooky music that would appeal to us uncultured american swine, lol.  The US loves their easy hook.  and while LC can do that....i don't thinnk it's their bread and butter.  they experiment way to much for your typical American ear i think.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i have to agree with you as far as the American market.  Number 1 female fronted  metal (in that kinda Euro style to clarify) only had it's day with Evenessence and was seen as novelty here. Also as you said LC in listenig to them they don't really have hooky music that would appeal to us uncultured american swine, lol.  The US loves their easy hook.  and while LC can do that....i don't thinnk it's their bread and butter.  they experiment way to much for your typical American ear i think.

Mick

I think that's why bands like Lacuna Coil have somehow remained relevant amongst the metal community for so long. Bands with the poppy hooks often become fads whose songs burn out over time. LC have more subtle hooks and creative nuances that keep things interesting. Even the lesser albums, Shallow Life especially, have moments of strangeness that keep things interesting. 

Meanwhile, Evanescence depend a whole lot on nostalgia these days.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I think that's why bands like Lacuna Coil have somehow remained relevant amongst the metal community for so long. Bands with the poppy hooks often become fads whose songs burn out over time. LC have more subtle hooks and creative nuances that keep things interesting. Even the lesser albums, Shallow Life especially, have moments of strangeness that keep things interesting. 

I agree to a music fan.  but your average Joe here wou;d hear Andrea and go.

"ew you can't sing to this.  where's the chorus.  I'm going back to my Lewis Capauldi!!!!!"

lol.

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last Night (Saturday)

No Heavy Petting - Wikipedia

A new 2023 remaster.

This album is so under appreciated compared to other UFO releases.

Listening again, I was amazed at the quality of the soloing by Schenker here - by now he was at his prime (better even than Force It and continuing in to Lights Out).

Perhaps one of my favourites (behind Lights Out and Phenonenom).

Artist "BLOW 3.0". All albums to buy or stream. | HIGHRESAUDIO

New Uriah Heep album. I was a bit underwhelmed with this. Nothing really stood out for me..

• Like 3

Today (Sunday).

Marquee Moon - Wikipedia

After todays sad news I had to listen to this..

This is one of my all time favourite albums.

I was never a big fan of the punk rock explosion which happened here n the UK during the mid to late '70s,

mostly because  most of the bands were, to be honest, musically inept.

Television were different ... very good musicians and songwriters. Tom had a very unique guitar style.

For for me personally, listening to the music today, brought me back to a time when i was single, living at home with Mum and Dad (who was still with us), and with a whole lifetime ahead of me.

I am not ashamed to say that I cried when I listened to this.

Thank you for the memories Tom. RIP

• Like 2

Iron Maiden- Killers 

Imagine being Saxon when this band came out 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Just listen to the solos! Ugh, so good.

🤔 think I need to take your advice EP and

re-visit :yes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

oh you mean and  realizing we..........are screwed, lol9

Mick

I love Saxon, but let's be real: they must have panicked. This isn't all that different to early Saxon, but much better (again, I love Saxon).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chronos said:

ScorpionsFacetheHeat.jpg

AlbumStrangeDays.jpg

Strange Days is my fave Doors album, I think.

Love that Scorpions album cover. I remember it took me a while to realize that was people and their shadows, and not just an artists rendition of flying objects all moving inwards

• Like 1

Since Thrusday:

Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster
Alex Melton - Southern Charm
Bloodhound Gang - Hooray For Boobies
Boston - Boston (Vinyl)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

But has Lacuna Coil really remained that relevant to the metal community? They've been at this for over 25 years yet they don't get above a mid level spot on these European metal festivals. Even in a continent where metal is king they don't seem to hold them in that high of regard. Evanescence is just sad at this point. Blew it all on their debut and have never come close to matching it. It's obvious that Ben Moody was the songwriting force for that band. It also doesn't help that Amy takes forever between albums. They've had four albums in 20 years? Yeah, no wonder they can't escape being a nostalgia band. They release new albums slower than AC/DC does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

But has Lacuna Coil really remained that relevant to the metal community? They've been at this for over 25 years yet they don't get above a mid level spot on these European metal festivals. Even in a continent where metal is king they don't seem to hold them in that high of regard. Evanescence is just sad at this point. Blew it all on their debut and have never come close to matching it. It's obvious that Ben Moody was the songwriting force for that band. It also doesn't help that Amy takes forever between albums. They've had four albums in 20 years? Yeah, no wonder they can't escape being a nostalgia band. They release new albums slower than AC/DC does.

On the other hand, they’re opening for Muse, which puts them at the same level of current relevance to booking agents as The Warning.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

On the other hand, they’re opening for Muse, which puts them at the same level of current relevance to booking agents as The Warning.

Not really. Evanescence is opening for Muse for a entire North American tour. The Warning only did four shows in Mexico opening for Muse. Being from Mexico played a big part in them getting to do that. If The Warning was on the North America tour, they would still play before Evanescence.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Not really. Evanescence is opening for Muse for a entire North American tour. The Warning only did four shows in Mexico opening for Muse. Being from Mexico played a big part in them getting to do that. If The Warning was on the North America tour, they would still play before Evanescence.

Eh, but Muse are bigger in Mexico than the US. I bet all four of those shows were sold out.

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Eh, but Muse are bigger in Mexico than the US. I bet all four of those shows were sold out.

I don't think the second show in Mexico City was a complete sell out. But the first one was. Something like 55,000 people. I believe the shows in Monterey and Guadalajara were sell outs. I think those were 15-20 thousand people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

In Europe, they remain big players. One of the biggest metal publications declared them the best live band in 2017, Black Anima was deemed by critics and fans here an event album. Their tours are really successful, and whilst they aren't chasing the charts anymore, there are more and more younger fans at shows and newer albums are bringing in new audiences.

Try to think beyond the USA, because over here, Delirium and Black Anima have seen them face a big turnaround for the better. It's becoming more and more common for journalists to speak of them as underrated, and Cristina is being spoken of a lot by younger female singers as an inspiration. They will never be Nightwish big, but over this side, the slight dip in popularity that happened somewhere between Shallow Life and BCH has seen a reversal, and whereas before they were deemed almost like a fad, these days in Britain and Europe they are being respected more as icons, not unlike Paradise Lost when they experienced a revival about a decade ago.

I think the reason bands like Paradise Lost and Lacuna Coil have survived so long is because at some point, they just stopped chasing the zeitgeist and just settled for consistency and nurturing their fanbase. 

As for being a "nostalgia band", Delirium and Black Anima are now being spoken of by fans as fan favourites. I know many old schoolers are talking less and less about Comalies. And the modern material is exciting fans live more than the old, which is why I think they wanted to revisit Complies. That album has been well received but the new arrangements work better live (personally, the original album is the obvious better version).

I'm not sure how LC are viewed in the USA anymore, but over here LC are thriving with a more fresh faced fanbase. They are definitely cult artists, who are not dependent on old albums. In fact, pre-Dark Adrenaline tracks are almost a novelty for fans at shows these days.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1