The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

Ché Aimee Dorval - The Crowned

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Float Along-Fill Your Lungs

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Oddments

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz

Edited by Union 5-3992

Next out of the moving box:

Grace Slick and The Great Society - Grace Slick and The Great Society

I got this used in the early 1990's (the price sticker of $8.00 is still on it).  For those who don't know, this was Grace Slick's band before she joined Jefferson Airplane and she originally recorded Somebody To Love and White Rabbit with them before rerecording them with Airplane.

I remember I was not even aware of that history until one day I was talking with a very good friend (who passed away in 2006).  I mentioned that I liked those songs by Jefferson Airplane and she suggested that I check out the original recordings.  I was like "What are you talking about?".  She proceeded to explain.  Makes sense she would know - she was about 12 years older then me and liked that sort of music - I remember she loved The Doors who she had seen live in concert.

Anyway, that got me looking for anything by Grace Slick's original band and I eventually found this album.  As I have mentioned, I did a lot of record purchasing in the early 90's when everybody else was unloading their vinyl.

My friend  told me that the versions of those big hits were rather different with Grace Slick & The Great Society and she was right.  The versions with Jefferson Airplane are more powerful.  More forceful.  I prefer those versions.  That being said this album (which is double live album) is very, very interesting.  Its been years since I pulled it out and I am glad I did.  Grace Slick's voice is just amazing.  Some songs are almost haunting in their beauty.  The song Sally Go Round The Roses is very well done.  As for Somebody To Love - I prefer the Jefferson Airplane version, but this version is still excellent.

This is a real gem.  Veery good album.  Unfortunately it does not indicate exactly when or where it was recorded but I will assume San Fransisco.  Has to be easy to mid 1960's.

Sorry if I get long winded in some of these posts - I am having fun telling not just what I am listening to but also any history with the album and what I think of it.  My apologies if I am boring anybody.  Like I said, I am having fun with these posts. 

• Like 2

Next out of the moving box:

Judas Priest - British Steel

Two stone cold classics (obviously Breaking The Law & Living After Midnight) plus every other song is very strong.  And they all fit together - ensuring that an album which would very strong on the merits of the individual songs is even better.  Like Rush albums, the album is greater than the sum of the individual parts.  A total classic.  As good as Priest was in the 1970's I feel that it was with this album that Priest really became Priest (although they perfected their sound with Screaming For Vengeance IMO).

BTW - which do I prefer, Breaking The Law or Living After Midnight?  Depends if I am in the mood for something sweet or something with some protein.  If I want to satisfy my musical sweet tooth then its Living After Midnight.  If I want something with some musical meat (perhaps with a bit of paper sprinkled on it) then I prefer Breaking The Law.  That song also fits very well with late 1970's / 1980 England and the bands roots.  Overall, I think I prefer Breaking The Law more.  But they are both great.

• Like 7

Heart - Heart

Another album that is loaded with strong songs.  Another album that also fits together so that I won't skip a song.  At the time it had a number of songs that got airplay but I seriously felt basically every song on the album could have gotten airplay.  Still do.  

Strangely, my dental hygienist (who is a big Heart fan) told me that the Wilson sisters don't really like this album and try to avoid playing many songs from it live.  Pity.  

I did not see them on this tour but I did see them on the following tour and they played a ton of songs from it.  Very good concert.  Saw them on the following tour and then did not see them again for about 20 years.  When I did they oped for Journey on one tour and Def Leppard on another.  Both were very good shows but they confirmed what my hygienist told me - not many songs from this album.  A real pity.  My favorite Heart album by far.

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Heart - Heart

Another album that is loaded with strong songs.  Another album that also fits together so that I won't skip a song.  At the time it had a number of songs that got airplay but I seriously felt basically every song on the album could have gotten airplay.  Still do.  

Strangely, my dental hygienist (who is a big Heart fan) was told me that the Wilson sisters don't really like this album and try to avoid playing many songs from it live.  Pity.  

I did not see them on this tour but I did see them on the following tour and they played a ton of songs from it.  Very good concert.  Saw them on the following tour and then did not see them again for about 20 years.  When I did they oped for Journey on one tour and Def Leppard on another.  Both were very good shows but they confirmed what my hygienist told me - not many songs from this album.  A real pity.  My favorite Heart album by far.

The sisters don't like that whole power ballad/AOR era in general.

Shame as an AOR fan.  i love that era.

Mick

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

The Warning - Queen Of The Murder Scene

The Warning - ERROR 

Hey I played those today too!

Måneskin - Rush!

The Warning - ERROR

The Warning - Queen Of The Murder Scene

Save Face - Another Kill For The Highlight Reel

Twenty One Pilots - Trench 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ST3V said:

idk much about muse but theyve got some pretty great album covers

I LOVE most Muse album covers. The last few since Drones have been a bit overwrought, but there’s still been some fantastic art associated with each of them via singles and gatefolds etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I LOVE most Muse album covers. The last few since Drones have been a bit overwrought, but there’s still been some fantastic art associated with each of them via singles and gatefolds etc.

ive been looking through them, Drones and Simulation Theory are fine, but I'm a big fan of the Will of the People art. 

16 minutes ago, ST3V said:

idk much about muse but theyve got some pretty great album covers

Black Holes and Revelations is the only album I have heard so far but it's pretty good. I have no idea how I completely missed this band when they rose to fame. They're the same age as me, so you would think I would have been on top of that. I plan on taking a deep dive into them soon.

• Like 3

Just now, ST3V said:

ive been looking through them, Drones and Simulation Theory are fine, but I'm a big fan of the Will of the People art. 

I’m kinda ambivalent on the WOTP art. On one hand it’s very detailed and well rendered and looks even better on a matte textured LP sleeve. On the other hand, something about it just feels too hyper realistic for me, like how a lot of modern CGI just ends up feeling lifeless where a simple cartoon might be buzzing with energy.

It’s also the three members heads toppled over into the ground, which is corny as heck, but then again Muse are the very definition of that phrase in the dictionary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Black Holes and Revelations is the only album I have heard so far but it's pretty good. I have no idea how I completely missed this band when they rose to fame. They're the same age as me, so you would think I would have been on top of that. I plan on taking a deep dive into them soon.

I think it’s because they’ve never been as massive stateside as they are elsewhere in the world. My understanding is they consistently sell out in Europe and South America, but here in the US they’re lucky when they can fill a basketball arena to 80%, despite their reputation as a live band being as incredible as it is. Something about the singles has just never perfectly clicked with American radio or streaming algorithms over here. Plus they don’t really fit any of the big 00s rock categories. They’re not post grunge, they’re not really emo or pop punk, they’re not always terribly poppy, and they’re not always very metal.  They had their biggest hit Stateside during the late 00s / early 10s alt pop boom that saw the likes of Fun and Imagine Dragons rise to fame and chart success, and I think that’s really been the only wave they kinda fit in, but that wave encompasses everything from AWOLNATION to The Lumineers, from Vampire Weekend to Kings Of Leon… in other words that wave didn’t really have a very defined sound, so long as it was professionally produced, pop leaning and vaguely alt sounding, it got big.

• Like 3