Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

57 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Shame, TLH remains in my top three

Well, if you like it when a band lacks fire and passion in their work then good for you. When I hear TLH back to back with one of their other albums, it's really noticable to me that the album is lacking the inspiration that the others have. No big deal overall it happens to every band at some point.

• Like 1

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Well, if you like it when a band lacks fire and passion in their work then good for you. When I hear TLH back to back with one of their other albums, it's really noticable to me that the album is lacking the inspiration that the others have. No big deal overall it happens to every band at some point.

You don't need to be condescending, I don't hear whatever it is they felt in the studio. I love the songs and the album.

13 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Alter Bridge:

Fortress

The Last Hero 

I forgot how bland and uneventful TLH is. It's appropriate that the song Losing Patience is placed where it is because that's about the point on the album where I start to skip through songs. The album starts fine, peaks with The Other Side and then it just kind of goes blah after that. Most of these songs sound like bonus track/leftover songs. Kind of reminds me of Thirteen from Megadeth. A few pretty good songs but a lot of forgettable b-side kind of tunes. Fortress is still great though.

It is so bland.  i will come back to it half a year maybe.  Every time i'm like ooooooooh.......thhere's really no need too.  lol.  Awful production.  Zero passion.  I can hear it through my speakers.

It basically sounds like a band doing a passionless AB tribute/checklist

1. Big hook-check.

2. Overdubbed Myles-Check

3. Compressed production-Check.

4. Guitar solos-check

And tremonti comes back with Dying Machine.......you can't tell e he wasn't saving the good shit and tucking it away.  that album butt f***s TLH.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Rush- Signals 

Rush- Grace Under Pressure 

Rush- Power Windows 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

Acmuscle.jpg

"We're so young and pretty..."

The end of the line for the classic Alice Cooper Band lineup. 

I remember buying it on release date and finding that the cardboard box packaging made it so hard to store with all my other albums.

I was kinda disappointed with the album - end of an era for me.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cat 3 said:

Rush_Power_Windows.jpg

I gave that a spin yesterday on a road trip.  The run of the final three songs on that album has become one of my favorite three-song RUSH album sequences.

• Like 4

Blink-182 - Blink-182

Biffy Clyro - Puzzles

Rush - Permanent Waves

Rush - Permanent Waves (Live disc from the 40th anniversary edition)

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

• Like 5

Bad Company - Holy Water

Not a big Bad Company fan.  Their ok but I don't go wild for them.  That being said when I listen to this album (which is not very often) I listen to the entire albumin don't skip anything.. With 3 exceptions the songs are basically just ok and nothing more.  Even those 3 songs are really nothing great.  They are decent, enjoyable and solid but not great.  But this is an album that is much more than the sum of its parts.  Somehow when I listen to it I really enjoy it.  The individual songs (with those 3 exceptions) would not do much for me.  Don't dislike them but I would not go out of my way to listen to them.  But together everything fits together.  As I have said, Rush were masters at this.  Here, Bad Company pulled it off.

BTW - the 3 songs I keep mentioning are the title track, If You Needed Somebody and Boys Cry Tough.  I recall when this album came out in 1990 the first 2 got some airplay and I was surprised Boys Cry Tough did not get airplay as well.

Full disclosure - I saw Bad Company on tour supporting this album twice.  The second show was in Albany NY and it was ok.  The first time was under a festival tent in Rochester NY and Bad Company and the band they played with that day (38 Special) put on the 3rd best show I have ever seen. Just a fabulous show with Bad Company going on first and 38 Special headlining although both bands played about the same time - so they were basically co-headliners.  Both groups were awesome.  Just magic.  That being said, I already had this album before the show and already had come to the conclusion that I could not skip a song on it.  Glad to hear that my feelings have not changed 30 years latter.

• Like 1

The Tragically Hip - Up to Here

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

Riverside - Out of Myself

Chicago - Chicago VI

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Willoughby's Beach

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - 12 Bar Bruise

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Eyes Like the Sky (Actually a pretty cool record that doubles as a western audio book with the band providing the soundtrack)

Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl

David Crosby  - If Only I Could Remember My Name

• Like 4

8 hours ago, zepphead said:

The end of the line for the classic Alice Cooper Band lineup. 

I remember buying it on release date and finding that the cardboard box packaging made it so hard to store with all my other albums.

I was kinda disappointed with the album - end of an era for me.

The entire time I have been alive, Alice Cooper has always been a solo artist. As big of a fan as I am, I have never once thought of it as a group. Even when I listen to the albums they played on.

• Like 3

Damn Yankees - Damn Yankees

This album has 3 big hits on it (Coming Of Age, High Enough & Come Again) which I always crank up when I hear them on the radio.  The rest of the album I have not listed to for a long time.  Pulling it out of the moving box and listening to the entire album reminded me why I don't often listen to it. Those 3 songs are wonderful.  The rest of it - forget about it.  None of the other songs do anything for me.  I will stick to listening to those 3 songs and just them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Cat 3 said:

That's awesome!

I love the fact that you can play a Taylor Swift album followed by an Iron Maiden album and love them equally.

Music has never been one genre. I'm sad I will never live long enough to appreciate it all

• Like 3