Foo Fighters have announced upcoming festival gigs, but not who will take Taylor’s place behind the kit. Who do you think it will be?

Entre_Perpetuo

Taylor Hawkins will be impossible to replace. His charisma and personality and musical style were one of a kind. However, the Foos have decided to continue onward. So someone will have to play drums. Who do you think they will choose?

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

I have no clue. Not sure what other available drummers are out there who can get close to his playing style.

There's easily 200 session/studio/youtube players than can handle the Foo's material without breaking a sweat.  But can they do it will his energy, enthusiasm, and touch?  Probably not, but that's what makes musicians unique (ie - "them").  Knowing there will never be a full step-in replacement, whomever they choose will need to pass the Grohl sniff test and that should ensure the transition will be the best it could be.  The band has a lot of mouths to feed now, so I never doubted its return.  It's an enterprise now (Grohl's own words).  I'm glad they're continuing on, although they're trending away from what interested me in them.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3

The obvious choice to me is Rufus Taylor. Played at the tribute show and did a great job, was friends with/mentored by him, and Taylor's all-time favorite band was Queen so I'll bet he'd think it was pretty cool that Queen's drummer's son replaced him. They look a lot alike too. Don't think anyone could get mad at that choice.

Edited by thizzellewashington
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

The obvious choice to me is Rufus Taylor. Played at the tribute show and did a great job, was friends with/mentored by him, and Taylor's all-time favorite band was Queen so I'll bet he'd think it was pretty cool that Queen's drummer's son replaced him. They look a lot alike too. Don't think anyone could get mad at that choice.

Anyone except Rufus’ current band, The Darkness, who are primed for something of a resurgence with the success of Justin Hawkins’ YouTube channel. Still, I agree he would be a great choice if all parties were cool with it.

I saw some talk of Matt Cameron. Seeing as he’s simultaneously been in two big bands before, and one of those two bands doesn’t really do anything anymore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Seeing as he’s simultaneously been in two big bands before, and one of those two bands doesn’t really do anything anymore.

Exactly, and he's done some good session work on the epic piano ballad, For Martha, and Because You Are by Smashing Pumpkins.

V03nd1e.gif

Speaking of Chris Cornell, Brad Wilk is worth considering.  Jack Irons was no slouch in his RHCP and Pearl Jam days, either, and I don't see RATM doing an album anytime soon.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rod in Toronto said:

Taylor's son could be an option in a few years as well.

Let the kid be a kid. He just lost his dad, and I can’t imagine the emotional turmoil of being asked to take his dad’s job so soon afterwards. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fordgalaxy said:

Nandi Bushell. Well, maybe in a few years when she's at least done with high school.

I’d rather she starts her own band. The Foos should pick from their own age group.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Let the kid be a kid. He just lost his dad, and I can’t imagine the emotional turmoil of being asked to take his dad’s job so soon afterwards. 

Key words in my post are "in a few years".

I'm not sure Taylor's son is a good idea. Even if they wait until he's a bit older. The pressure of that would be so immense. He would no doubt have to constantly hear from people "yeah, you're good kid but you're not your old man". The band knows that's exactly what would happen and probably don't want to put him in that kind of spot unless he is adamant about it and convinces them he could handle it. Better to go with a more seasoned drummer who has toured before and knows what to expect and can handle any criticism that comes their way.

• Like 2