We might have this thread already but I really struggle with the new search function: Rank your favorite bands' TOP TEN songs!

Entre_Perpetuo

53 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

My Dylan list is all from the 60's

Masters of War

Times they are a changin

My back Pages

It Ain't Me

Positively 4th Street

Stuck Inside of Mobile

115th dream

Tombstone Blues

Ballad of a Thin Man

All Along the Watchtower

All great.  I take some of those for granted because they are well worn...but the are so good.  I remember hearing Tombstone Blues for the first time and just loving it so much - that offhand, cool delivery, the sense of wit, the poetry.... it's masterful.

I don't like telling someone what they should listen to...but if you love those 60s tunes...there's a lot in his later work you might dig.

• Like 2

Jimmy Eat World:

1. 23

2. Coffee And Cigarettes 

3. Shame

4. Through 

5. Gotta Be Somebody's Blues 

6. Believe In What You Want

7. Crush

8. Just Watch The Fireworks 

9. For Me This Is Heaven 

10. Clarity

This was super hard as I love every song from the albums Clarity through to Invented, including bonus tracks and b-sides.

This list could change any time, but the top three are cemented.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

Not big on the Post-Gabriel era?

My list

The Knife

Musical Box

Return of the Giant Hogweed

Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

Squonk

Trick of the tail

Blood on the Rooftops

One for the Vine

Abacab

DoDo/Lurker

A mighty fine list! I think I'm just not a big fan of the post-Abacab era. I love your last four choices -- they would appear in my Top 20 list ... just not Top 10.

And my rankings are invalid because I somehow forgot about The Musical Box. *facepalm*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timbale said:

Boy...not putting Blood On The Rooftops on my list is a bit of an oversight.  I just listened to it (on a dark and grey Toronto day) this morning.  It really is one of their best songs.  It's a drag they never returned to it post-Hackett.  Imagine hearing that in '92 or 2007 instead of the instrumental Firth of Fifth section or In The Cage.  Would have been amazing.

I wonder if they wouldn’t come back to it out of respect for Hackett. They had plenty of other great material to pull from and that was really Hackett’s song. He wanted it on the album, but if it had been rejected (like Please Don’t Touch), I’m sure it would’ve found a home on his next solo album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Jimmy Eat World:

1. 23

2. Coffee And Cigarettes 

3. Shame

4. Through 

5. Gotta Be Somebody's Blues 

6. Believe In What You Want

7. Crush

8. Just Watch The Fireworks 

9. For Me This Is Heaven 

10. Clarity

This was super hard as I love every song from the albums Clarity through to Invented, including bonus tracks and b-sides.

This list could change any time, but the top three are cemented.

I still only have Clarity through Chase This Light, plus Surviving (and some very very early singles compilation if you count that).  I don’t think I could do a top ten off the top of my head, but for sure I’d share a few picks with you. 23 and Believe In What You Want are easy top 5 material for me.

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I still only have Clarity through Chase This Light, plus Surviving (and some very very early singles compilation if you count that).  I don’t think I could do a top ten off the top of my head, but for sure I’d share a few picks with you. 23 and Believe In What You Want are easy top 5 material for me.

You owe yourself Invented. In my top three with Futures and Clarity. Sometimes I think its my absolute favourite, I will never understand the fanbase reaction to it, which was largely negative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

You owe yourself Invented. In my top three with Futures and Clarity. Sometimes I think its my absolute favourite, I will never understand the fanbase reaction to it, which was largely negative.

I’ll make that the next one then!

46 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I wonder if they wouldn’t come back to it out of respect for Hackett. They had plenty of other great material to pull from and that was really Hackett’s song. He wanted it on the album, but if it had been rejected (like Please Don’t Touch), I’m sure it would’ve found a home on his next solo album.

Possibly...but I get the sense that Tony and Mike don't have a lot of respect for Hackett.  There is some video on youtube of Gabriel, Banks, Rutherford, Hackett and Collins all sitting there discussing The Lamb.  It is painful to watch.  I mean, who knows what they are really thinking...but my take is they just don't really like the guy, and sort of wish he wasn't part of the history of the band.

20 minutes ago, Timbale said:

Possibly...but I get the sense that Tony and Mike don't have a lot of respect for Hackett.  There is some video on youtube of Gabriel, Banks, Rutherford, Hackett and Collins all sitting there discussing The Lamb.  It is painful to watch.  I mean, who knows what they are really thinking...but my take is they just don't really like the guy, and sort of wish he wasn't part of the history of the band.

Eh, I’ve never quite gotten that sense from them. I feel more like Tony particularly just didn’t much care for Steve’s writing, at least most of it. He’s pretty vocal about his issues with Peter and how he also doesn’t like After The Ordeal to this day, I think he would just come out and say it if he didn’t care for Steve as a person. Now I don’t think they’re great friends or anything, more just like coworkers who didn’t really see eye to eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chronos said:

Oh I’ve read that already. I still don’t think they actively dislike Steve. After all, they never kicked him out, he just left. And they never replaced him either.

Top 10 (at the moment) The Band songs

1 King Harvest (has surly come)

2 Unfaithful Servant (Rock of Ages version - one of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded!)

3 It Makes No Difference

4 Lonesome Suzie

5 Don't Do It (Rock of Ages version)

6 Ophelia

7 Tears Of Rage

8 Rage Mama Rag

9 The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

10 Whispering Pines