2 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

My Fav albums of ‘22 have been… 

( probably not the coolest of choices

I know Lol ! 🙃 .. but as Mick would say 

I don’t really care too much 🤣)

* King’s X - Three Sides of One

* Journey - Freedom 

* Ghost - Impera 

I forgot about the Journey album! I liked it a lot, but when I praised the new music I got kinda shat on here 🤣

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

My Fav albums of ‘22 have been… 

( probably not the coolest of choices

I know Lol ! 🙃 .. but as Mick would say 

I don’t really care too much 🤣)

* King’s X - Three Sides of One

* Journey - Freedom 

* Ghost - Impera 

the ghost was great.  super fun.

Mick

• Like 3

Although there were many albums released in 2022 I didn't buy, there were several I did that objectively warrant some praise (two of them released earlier in 2022 and are still in heavy rotation* ):

Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point*

Porcupine Tree - Closure Continuation*

Charlie Griffiths - Tiktaalika [this is newer to me as I didn't buy it when released in the Spring, but playing the crap out of it]

Lonely Robot - A Model Life

Big Wreck - 7.2

Honorable mentions:

Death Cab For Cutie - Asphalt Meadows

Devin Townsend - Lightwork

Pink Floyd - Animals (remix, and surround)

I did hear quite a few more albums and/or songs from albums and chose to not buy the material as a result of what I heard.  It can certainly be argued, and has been by myself and others in the past, that one of the biggest reasons record labels fight so hard against piracy is to prevent 'previewing' new releases because they know half the time on mainstream artist releases that much of the music on the album is filler and they really focus on the one or two 'hit' tracks to sell the whole thing, or as more recent trends would suggest, just focus on the sale of that single song and don't bother with or promote 'albums'.  While the ratio of shit songs to good ones on most of the albums WE (members of this forum) listen to is smaller than I'm describing above, it's still a thing as I discovered with say the new King's X album which was for me a song or two I could enjoy, a bunch I never care to hear again.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, stoopid said:

Although there were many albums released in 2022 I didn't buy, there were several I did that objectively warrant some praise (two of them released earlier in 2022 and are still in heavy rotation* ):

Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point*

Porcupine Tree - Closure Continuation*

Charlie Griffiths - Tiktaalika [this is newer to me as I didn't buy it when released in the Spring, but playing the crap out of it]

Lonely Robot - A Model Life

Big Wreck - 7.2

Honorable mentions:

Death Cab For Cutie - Asphalt Meadows

Devin Townsend - Lightwork

Pink Floyd - Animals (remix, and surround)

I did hear quite a few more albums and/or songs from albums and chose to not buy the material as a result of what I heard.  It can certainly be argued, and has been by myself and others in the past, that one of the biggest reasons record labels fight so hard against piracy is to prevent 'previewing' new releases because they know half the time on mainstream artist releases that much of the music on the album is filler and they really focus on the one or two 'hit' tracks to sell the whole thing, or as more recent trends would suggest, just focus on the sale of that single song and don't bother with or promote 'albums'.  While the ratio of shit songs to good ones on most of the albums WE (members of this forum) listen to is smaller than I'm describing above, it's still a thing as I discovered with say the new King's X album which was for me a song or two I could enjoy, a bunch I never care to hear again.

I don’t think labels really fight piracy like they used to. There are popular YouTube reviewers who listen to albums before the official release date so they can put the review out as quickly as possible and get more views for good timing. I’m pretty piracy is their method as opposed to labels sending them stuff early to review (though I could be wrong) and they never get in hot water for it. Frankly I don’t think labels really care since free streaming has made standard piracy unnecessary for most people, and the labels have special deals with the streaming giants that they can’t make with Napster type companies.

41 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don’t think labels really fight piracy like they used to. There are popular YouTube reviewers who listen to albums before the official release date so they can put the review out as quickly as possible and get more views for good timing. I’m pretty piracy is their method as opposed to labels sending them stuff early to review (though I could be wrong) and they never get in hot water for it. Frankly I don’t think labels really care since free streaming has made standard piracy unnecessary for most people, and the labels have special deals with the streaming giants that they can’t make with Napster type companies.

Two points of correction.

1) Ask me how I know labels put up torrent traps, especially on new or very popular material, then notify all the ISPs of downloaders and the ISPs then have to send nastygrams to their customers.  If you do it more than a couple times, your ISP is forced to freeze your account and you could have your service disconnected.

2) I wrote reviews for a smallish site for about a year, all the major progressive rock releases were available direct from the labels.  We always respected the NDA and never shared our files (as far as I know, I certainly never did).  Youtubers doing these reviews openly discuss how they get their material (from the labels), to maintain transparency and perceived objectivity. But note that the reviews are rarely published before release day, or a day specified by the label.  Some labels know they have a good album coming out and want the reviews to generate presales.  If there's a hush prior to release, that's a sign the album is going to stink.

Again, most of the bands members of this forum listen to would not be releasing albums of fluff/filler, but it does happen.

Piracy is definitely not as big an issue as the P2P peak in the 2000-2010 time frame, but all media makers are actively battling it to keep it stamped out as much as possible.  The dark web also has outlets for pirated material, and that is of course harder for them to track people down.  TV shows are probably the most pirated media right now, that's been true for a number of years.

I don't disagree there's nuance to this topic, but I wasn't writing a dissertation on the subject or being paid to.  Streaming changes the landscape, mostly just by reducing the demand as you suggest for pirated copies, but that doesn't mean it wasn't and isn't an ongoing concern and if the labels stopped actively combating piracy that it wouldn't flourish like it once did. And as they creep the pricing on streaming services upward, or increase exclusive deals where multiple services are needed to enjoy popular artists, and start pinching the average music listener too hard with the nickel and diming, you could see a drastic shift back to piracy as the cost benefits of streaming deteriorate or evaporate.  The newest albums is the music most in demand, bookmark this discussion and come back in 5 years and tell me how wise I was to suggest prices for streaming services will go up exponentially in the coming years.  As long as they control the flow of new music, who cares if you have 40 million old albums at the tips of our fingers.  Streaming/subscriptions will only get worse, not better, in the coming years.  It's tougher for them to name their price if piracy still exists.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Two points of correction.

1) Ask me how I know labels put up torrent traps, especially on new or very popular material, then notify all the ISPs of downloaders and the ISPs then have to send nastygrams to their customers.  If you do it more than a couple times, your ISP is forced to freeze your account and you could have your service disconnected.

2) I wrote reviews for a smallish site for about a year, all the major progressive rock releases were available direct from the labels.  We always respected the NDA and never shared our files (as far as I know, I certainly never did).  Youtubers doing these reviews openly discuss how they get their material (from the labels), to maintain transparency and perceived objectivity. But note that the reviews are rarely published before release day, or a day specified by the label.  Some labels know they have a good album coming out and want the reviews to generate presales.  If there's a hush prior to release, that's a sign the album is going to stink.

Again, most of the bands members of this forum listen to would not be releasing albums of fluff/filler, but it does happen.

Piracy is definitely not as big an issue as the P2P peak in the 2000-2010 time frame, but all media makers are actively battling it to keep it stamped out as much as possible.  The dark web also has outlets for pirated material, and that is of course harder for them to track people down.  TV shows are probably the most pirated media right now, that's been true for a number of years.

I don't disagree there's nuance to this topic, but I wasn't writing a dissertation on the subject or being paid to.  Streaming changes the landscape, mostly just by reducing the demand as you suggest for pirated copies, but that doesn't mean it wasn't and isn't an ongoing concern and if the labels stopped actively combating piracy that it wouldn't flourish like it once did. And as they creep the pricing on streaming services upward, or increase exclusive deals where multiple services are needed to enjoy popular artists, and start pinching the average music listener too hard with the nickel and diming, you could see a drastic shift back to piracy as the cost benefits of streaming deteriorate or evaporate.

I stand corrected! I don’t usually get the chance to learn anything new on this kind of topic directly from more knowledgeable people. Thank you for sharing!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I stand corrected! I don’t usually get the chance to learn anything new on this kind of topic directly from more knowledgeable people. Thank you for sharing!  

Honestly, I wish I didn't know why #1 was the case.  ;)

• Haha 1

BTW, the fix for #1 is a personal VPN.  But those tend to slow your connection down.  I don't use one and never have, and can't see why I ever would.  99% of the software I use and music I listen to is purchased.  I'm not into movie or TV shows aside from what I buy on disc or watch on a streaming service every blue moon.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Here are some of my favs of 2022...

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream Soundtrack

Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos

Billy Idol - The Cage EP

King's X - Three Sides of One

KISS - Off the Soundboard: Des Moines November 29, 1977

Lyle Lovett - 12th of June

Stryper - The Final Battle

The real reward goes to the various boxed sets released in 2022 starting with my absolute favourite release of 2022...

Cheap Trick Live at The Whiskey 1977 (4 CD Set)

Followed closely by the treasure trove of Bowie releases in 2022

1: Toy Box

2: Brilliant Live Adventures (1995-1999) - 6 CDs & box reissued

3: Divine Symmetry (An Alternative Journey Through Hunky Dory)

Rounded out by three great sets...

Blondie - Against the Odds 1974-1982

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town Live at the Syndney Opera House October 1978 w/ Phil Lynott: Songs for While I'm Away (2 DVD / 1 CD)

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Live at the Filmore 1997

• Like 1