2022 Albums Of The Year thread

Entre_Perpetuo

Well anyway back to the few I did check out this year. Not a ranking per say but I enjoyed these:

The Warning - ERROR (really glad this is taking off for them in a big way, but having now discovered them my heart lies with their QOTMS from their back catalogue)

Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (I think I only played this like, twice? Lol. Wasn't really in the mood too often, but I remember really digging it, not seeing any big difference in quality between this and In Absentia or Deadwing)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love (really lovely record to chill out with, definitely a nocturnal experience, and long enough that I still haven't gotten around to the entire other double album they put out this year)

Wet Leg - Wet Leg (I just bought this the other day but I very much enjoy it!)

Tedeschi Trucks Band - I Am The Moon: Part I. Crescent (same here, very very impressed with the production; it sounds exactly like an early 70s record, full stop.)

And then the aforementioned Panic album.

6 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Oh snap, I did listen to a new album this year! I remember liking it. 

I think a lot of people had good expectations for it to begin with, but they still ended up overperforming and is truly an album to be proud of, especially at a point this late in their careers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well anyway back to the few I did check out this year. Not a ranking per say but I enjoyed these:

The Warning - ERROR (really glad this is taking off for them in a big way, but having now discovered them my heart lies with their QOTMS from their back catalogue)

Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (I think I only played this like, twice? Lol. Wasn't really in the mood too often, but I remember really digging it, not seeing any big difference in quality between this and In Absentia or Deadwing)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love (really lovely record to chill out with, definitely a nocturnal experience, and long enough that I still haven't gotten around to the entire other double album they put out this year)

Wet Leg - Wet Leg (I just bought this the other day but I very much enjoy it!)

Tedeschi Trucks Band - I Am The Moon: Part I. Crescent (same here, very very impressed with the production; it sounds exactly like an early 70s record, full stop.)

And then the aforementioned Panic album.

Is Wet Leg supposed to be a comedy act? I've heard some songs and that's the impression I got from their middle school lyrics.

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Is Wet Leg supposed to be a comedy act? I've heard some songs and that's the impression I got from their middle school lyrics.

They have humor in their lyrics. If it's not for you it's not for you.

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think Exo-Politics doesn't really add much to the track list. The album already has political songs, mid tempo songs, great riffs, heavy songs. It just kinda sits in between the extremes as the most normal Muse song they could've done. I like it, but it feels like a b-side.

I'm sure a lot of fans would say Soldiers Poem or Invincible, but both of those to me are really big stepping stones for the band as they evolve their sound and capabilities as songwriters.

Exo-Politics is my sole choice as well!

Your enthusiasm for the latest has me very intrigued. I may give it a more generous spin at some point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

again i'll say good but it sucks:laugh:

look what you call playful and self deprecating i call whiny desperate and clearly out of ideas. from recycled melodies (which is not her fault ten albums....so what?) to some of her worst lyrics ever (some are just awful....SEXY BABY????? and no it's not "playful", lol)

to forced cursing to be edgy (I' not the only person to hear this.....it's a awkward fit on her.)

Not to mention......same old tired topics she's been singing  about for over a decade (People hate me......maybe its my fault.....you ruined this thing we have again Segue......:puke:

yea i hate this record, lol

and no i'm not trying to hate it......it is that bad to me.

Mick

Sexy Baby is a tribute to 30 Rock, which is a win for me. I got the reference immediately and it works on context 

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Exo-Politics is my sole choice as well!

Your enthusiasm for the latest has me very intrigued. I may give it a more generous spin at some point.

Well I'm still figuring out where I fall on it. I think it's gonna be pretty middle of the pack for me. It doesn't have the genius of their classic records, but it doesn't have the worst pitfalls of their worst records. Kill Or Be Killed and We Are F****** F***** are awesome in my book, but still pretty tongue in cheek compared to stuff like Stockholm Syndrome or Deadstar.  I think the really big appeal of this record is its ordinariness. There's no Break It To Me or Propaganda levels of throwing ideas at the wall in a blender to see what sticks, no overly dubstep inflected baselines or completely shameless chart pandering (though Compliance and Ghosts would come the closest to chart pandering), no lengthy multi part epics trying to be Citizen Erased 2.  Granted I often love all of those things, but it is a bit of a breath of fresh air to hear a kind of normal album from them. That's not to say its uninteresting or monotonous; it's still a modern day Muse album (ie You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween exists and certainly threw many fans for a loop), but there's level of sonic and qualitative consistency to it not really touched since BH&R, at least in most fans' eyes.

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Sexy Baby is a tribute to 30 Rock, which is a win for me. I got the reference immediately and it works on context 

you read too much into things......it's an awful lyric reference or not

It's just you and me and we  just disagree

there ain't no good guy......

Sorry i lasped into Dave Mason

Mick

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

We're not enemies

We just disagree

We all disagree

I think we should disagree

yeah...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

We're not enemies

We just disagree

We all disagree

I think we should disagree

yeah...

sorry i derailed your thread with a women nobody here gives a shit about. 

Segue and have been arguing about this stuupid album for months, lol

but no worries it has NOTHING on Viva las Vengeance.  that's clearly the best album of 2022.

Right brother?

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

sorry i derailed your thread with a women nobody here gives a shit about. 

Segue and have been arguing about this stuupid album for months, lol

but no worries it has NOTHING on Viva las Vengeance.  that's clearly the best album of 2022.

Right brother?

Mick

Lol, I've already derailed my own thread with some critical analysis of Muse, who nobody really cares about here but me, so it's all good.

Yeah, nobody has anything on Viva Las Vengeance this year. The only thing that could be better about that album is the artwork.

• Like 1

Oh I also really dug the first of the two new Jack White albums this year. I still haven't checked out the second one.

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

LOVE YOU HAPPY NEW YEAR

I apologize I'm all stress and no play ATM. It's new year's Day and I've just finished a 15 hour shift at 5am

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

LOVE YOU HAPPY NEW YEAR

I apologize I'm all stress and no play ATM. It's new year's Day and I've just finished a 15 hour shift at 5am

no no it's ok  i know you love the album i just feel like i need a comeback  everytime you come back hard defending it.  cause we both coome out swinging in our stances face it:laugh:

love you too.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

no no it's ok  i know you love the album i just feel like i need a comeback  everytime you come back hard defending it.  cause we both coome out swinging in our stances face it:laugh:

love you too.

Mick

Oh phew! I'm alternating between three jobs ATM: super busy pub/nightclub and dementia care/disabled care. I've not had time to myself in so long and I'm going crazy 😭🤣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh phew! I'm alternating between three jobs ATM: super busy pub/nightclub and dementia care/disabled care. I've not had time to myself in so long and I'm going crazy 😭🤣

Man that sucks! 

I have to throw a nod to Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators 4.  I saw more shows than I have in a long time last year (obviously) but I’m mad at myself for missing their House of Blues show in March 2022.  I saw them there in 2018 and it was phenomenal seeing Slash from about 20 yards away.  4 is just another great straight ahead rocker from them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I have to throw a nod to Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators 4.  I saw more shows than I have in a long time last year (obviously) but I’m mad at myself for missing their House of Blues show in March 2022.  I saw them there in 2018 and it was phenomenal seeing Slash from about 20 yards away.  4 is just another great straight ahead rocker from them.

Myles with slash is awesome.

it's rock in pure fun mode.

Mick

• Like 4

My top fifteen:

Belmont - Aftermath 

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry 

State Champs - Kings Of The New Age 

Pollyanna - Slime 

Silverstein - Misery Made Me

The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever

Tiny Moving Parts - Tiny Moving Parts 

In Her Own Words - Distance Or Decay 

Moon Tooth - Phototroph 

Young Culture - You Had To Be There 

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love 

Stand Atlantic - F.E.A.R.

Dropkick Murphys - This Machine Still Kills Fascists

Flor - Future Shine 

Dayseeker - Dark Sun 

Honorable mentions:

Dance Gavin Dance - Jackpot Juicer 

The Lower Tolpa - Flesh & Blood

Dragged Under - Upright Animals 

Queensryche - Digital Noise Alliance 

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time

Just Friends - Hella 

Demi Lovato - HOLY FVCK 

No Pressure - No Pressure 

Magnolia Park - Baku's Revenge 

Shinedown - Planet Zero 

Favorite EPs:

Weezer - SZNZ: Autumn 

The Rumjacks - Brass For Gold 

Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh - Framing My Perception 

• Like 1

I ended up with 11 this year. I can't decide which one to pull from the list. I likely would have included RHCP if they had combined the best songs off each album. Both were about 1/2 filler.

• Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION (This is an album I never thought I'd hear. It doesn't hit the highs of FoaBP, but after the Incident and a couple alright records by Steven Wilson, this was a much better way to close off this chapter of his career. It's a bit familiar with some by-the-numbers Porcupine Tree but it still ends up a great record. Seeing the album performed live twice on the subsequent tour also helped highlight how well it fit with the rest of the bands catalog. I really hope if they continue, they push some of the odder sounds like Walk the Plank or the electronic stuff heard in Herd Culling.
  • King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum (One of five albums released by the band this year! It oddly reminds me of Empath by Devin Townsend as they swap genres between every song only with a better flow. They swap from sweet bubblegum dream-pop to hip hop (with flutes!) and then to thrash metal. With a 23 album career, this album creates a perfect sampler platter for their very wide discography but still stands up on its own two feet very well)
  • King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava (Of the other four releases this year, this one is the one I come back to most. Lots of good jammy songs that don't overstay their welcome)
  • Elder - Innate Passage (I love Elder and I am always hyped when they release something new. This didn't grab me as immediately as Omens did, but it's still a great release if you're a fan).
  • Disillusion - Ayam (This album really builds on the sound they crafted from The Liberation, which itself was a beautiful journey about loss and letting go. This record is definitely a bit softer but still has some very heavy parts with soaring guitar solos. It's very wonderfully capped off by the final two tracks, one of which borrows heavily from the soundtrack to The Shawshank Redemption.)
  • Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point (This album is everything Steven Wilson wishes The Future Bites could be).
  • Devin Townsend - Lightwork/Nightwork (I fully agree with The Analog Kid that this feels like a continuation of Sky Blue. This album took quite a bit of time for me to fall for. A few tracks fall flat, but when it hits, it really hits. It's half a collection of demos released during the quarantine. I don't feel he improved Call of the Void from the demo versions on Youtube, but the new Celestial Signals is great. Dimensions feels like a track out of an old PS1 racing game. Oddly the Nighworks songs shows the most variety with more finished tracks from The Puzzle and more odd electronic oddities.
  • King Buffalo - Regenerator (Awesome band from Rochester, NY. I missed the chance to see them play this live over the summer and really hope I can catch them in 2023. They haven't totally blown me away but all of their records have good stuff on them)
  • Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying... and the Dead!
  • Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings
  • Meshuggah - Immutable
  • Like 1

Polyphia - remember you will die.

Next level mostly instrumental group from Texas. Have not been this impressed with a new group in years. Easier to digest than most instrumentals and just super tasty acoustic playing. 

Tons of videos on YouTube.

Try playing God which is mostly acoustic or ego death which features Steve Vai. Other songs have rappers and pop singers. 

• Like 1