2022 Albums Of The Year thread

Entre_Perpetuo

What were your favorites? What were your least favorites? And did anyone else have as sharp of a drop-off in listening to new albums from last year to the year as I did???

Seriously I listened to dozens of new albums last year and this year I bet they'd fit on two hands.

I know what my number one is though. I could hear 50 more albums released this year and the odds they'd have as much impact on me as this one are about 1 in 100000:

Panic! At The Disco - Viva Las Vengeance

• Like 2

Personally the only new album I checked out this year and was a bit disappointed in was Florence + The Machine's new album. After the breathtaking beauty of High As Hope, Dance Fever seems like a kind of half baked record dressed as a fully finished one.

ok

i'l go top ten....i've heard more but these are the ones i played most.

1. Panic! at the Disco-Viva Las Vengeance

2. Tears For Fears-The Tipping point.

3. Alter Bridge-Pawns & Kings

4. Elvis Costello-A Boy Named If

5. The Flower Kings-By Royaal Decree

6. Ghost-Impera

7. Porcupine Tree-Closure/Continuation

8. Alan Parsons-From the New World

9. Chicago-Born for This Moment (Surprise of the year....love the shit outta this)

10.  The 1975-Being Funny in A Foreign Language

just to add my trademark negativity.

2 worst albums i've heard, lol

Muse-Will of the people(Shit balls)

Taylor Swift-Midnights (Taylor riding those Shit balls, lo.  Actually slowly getting sick of her.  and this album is just al her worst tendencies in album form.  Major backslide from the songwriting growth of the previous two albums.  YES Tay we know you have problems......SHUT DA f**k UP!!!!! at this point cry me a river girl. with your millions.)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

just to add my trademark negativity.

2 worst albums i've heard, lol

Muse-Will of the people(Shit balls)

Taylor Swift-Midnights (Taylor riding those Shit balls, lo.  Actually slowly getting sick of her.  and this album is just al her worst tendencies in album form.  Major backslide from the songwriting growth of the previous two albums.  YES Tay we know you have problems......SHUT DA f**k UP!!!!! at this point cry me a river girl. with your millions.)

Mick

Lol

just decimating me and Segue specifically

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lol

just decimating me and Segue specifically

if it makes you feel anybetter.  i didn't like the Muse but.......i HATED the swift album.  with a deep almost per-occupying hate  i'm a fan no shame but she backtracked to talking about her shitty love life again and like......i don't care, lol

it was an insulting album.

at least muse is just being muse.  Swift seemingly promised a new direction and then we get diary of a semi crazy Lady again.

see?  i'm angry AGAIN, lol

Mick

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

if it makes you feel anybetter.  i didn't like the Muse but.......i HATED the swift album.  with a deep almost per-occupying hate  i'm a fan no shame but she backtracked to talking about her shitty love life again and like......i don't care, lol

at least muse is just being muse.  Swift seemingly promised a new direction and then we get diary of a semi crazy Lady again.

Mick

Ha! 

• Haha 1

Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation

Easily album of the year for me. Fantastic album, and probably Barbieri's most significant.

Ghost - Impera

Meliora and Prequelle are better. Impera is still pretty good, albeit flaws and too poppy for my tastes.

Devin Townsend - Lightwork

Reminiscent of the Sky Blue album in terms of feel, not quite as insane and wild as Empath. I'm starting to feel Devin's said all he's need to say musically, but this is a good collection of songs.

• Like 2

My favourite albums this year:

1. Taylor Swift- Midnights 

I really don't get how you can be a fan and act like you think this is like St Anger bad. Hard to take seriously lol.

2. Machine Head- Of Kingdoms And Crowns 

3. Alter Bridge- Pawns And Kings 

4. Blind Guardian- The God Machine 

5. Lamb Of God- Omens 

6. Septicflesh- Modern Primitive 

7. Lorna Shore- Pain Remains 

I feel some really awesome, obvious albums are missing. But right now, couldn't name them. 

Biggest letdowns for me this year are Beyonce and Megadeth. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I didn't find it to be about her being crazy at all. There is a lot of different elements going on, and she even admitted some songs are inspired by scenes she saw in movies she loved. I think it's a very playful, sassy pop album with her natural self deprecating humour on full display.

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I'm kinda done with Muse, I think. I was hopeful when they did Drones in 2015 because it was more of a rock album in the vein of Absolution. While I think Drones is pretty good and better than anything they've done since Black Holes, they've just gotten a bit stale. Will of the People doesn't really grab me, and Simulation Theory was trash.

• Like 1

If we're open to discussing new discoveries this year, but not necessarily 2022 releases, I've been all over Riverside and TesseracT this year. Both of those bands have amazing catalogs and I'm bummed it took me this long to discover either of them.

17 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

I'm kinda done with Muse, I think. I was hopeful when they did Drones in 2015 because it was more of a rock album in the vein of Absolution. While I think Drones is pretty good and better than anything they've done since Black Holes, they've just gotten a bit stale. Will of the People doesn't really grab me, and Simulation Theory was trash.

To each their own. A lot of hardcore Muse fans I encountered online seemed to be hot and cold on Drones, which was simultaneously Muse doing exactly what the hardcore fans thought they wanted (more like old Muse) and Muse doing exactly what the hardcore fans did not want (cheesy overdramatic end of the world concept with dodgy execution and really overwrought lyrics). Plus the singles didn't do anything on the American charts, whereas Madness had become their biggest hit over here just one album cycle prior.  I can totally see why Matt would try to get as far away from doing more like Drones for the next album. WOTP seems to me to be a middle ground between the heavy metal political doom of Drones and the kitchen sink pop fun of Simulation Theory. And for once they've cut it down to the most essential songs and kept the runtime to a reasonable album length, which they've rarely ever been good at.  They're my 3rd favorite band, but coming out in the CD age I think had them make a habit of 50-some minute long albums with one or two tracks that might have been better off as B-sides.

Showbiz has about 3 of them

OoS I think is fine, but something in the second half could be cut if necessary and it wouldn't make much difference, if only Feeling Good.

Abso has at least two potential candidates

BH&R was actually their shortest record for a long long time, but even so I think one more song could have been trimmed without negative effect

TR is my favorite, but even I can admit GL could go. It would pain me, but it could go.

T2L has at least three, maybe more, B-side worthy cuts

Drones is weird, because it doesn't actually have many songs, it's just that the songs it does have are all pretty long, and I actually enjoy the length on most of them. There are a couple that could have been trimmed though, and a somewhat shortened version of the title track could've been tacked on the end of The Globalist without being made a separate track for much the same effect.

ST has two or three duds easy. I'll namecheck Dig Down as probably the worst song they've ever let on an album. Granted if they'd just replaced it with the gospel version outright I wouldn't complain, but the electro pop version as it stands is one big "been there, done that" clogging up side two. But props for this being their shortest record since BH&R.

WOTP I wouldn't make any cuts! Honestly if anything there are a few songs I would give a bit more breathing room than they're given, which is a problem I also have with some of ST. I think this kind of value engineered songwriting of the past two albums is a bit of an overcorrection to Drones' long winded arrangements that didn't need to be so long. (Seriously, Psycho really only has enough musical content for about 4 minutes, but somehow it lasts over 5. A decade earlier that riff would've been turned into something like Time Is Running Out, which I'd say is perfect in every way, but bring in Mutt Lange as producer and Matt's need for some random dialogue over an instrumental passage and we have the definition of bloat).... oops I started talking about a different album, lol. Well I haven't really spent that much time with WOTP yet!

• Like 2

Tough to order, but new music that I bought this year that I really loved:

* Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation

* Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love

* Red Hot Chili Peppers - Return of the Dream Canteen

* Frank Zappa - Zappa 88 The Last US Show

* Michael Akerfeldt - CLARK Soundtrack

* Meshuggah - Immutable

* The Aristocrats - with the Primuz Orchestra

* King Crimson - KC at 50 film and Deluxe edition with 4 CD

* King's X -Three Sides of One

* The Pineapple Thief - Give it Back

* TOOL - Opiate2

* The Beatles - Revolver remix/remaster

* Pink Floyd - Animals remix/remaster

* RUSH - Moving Pictures Anniversary with new 81 show!

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 2

I'll probably add to this but a few I have really enjoyed this year -

Scorpions - Rock Believer

Rammstein - Zeit

Rush - Moving Pictures with Live Show

Ghost - Impera

Big Big Train - Welcome To The Planet

Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation

Pattern Seeking Animals - Only Passing Through

Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

To each their own. A lot of hardcore Muse fans I encountered online seemed to be hot and cold on Drones, which was simultaneously Muse doing exactly what the hardcore fans thought they wanted (more like old Muse) and Muse doing exactly what the hardcore fans did not want (cheesy overdramatic end of the world concept with dodgy execution and really overwrought lyrics). Plus the singles didn't do anything on the American charts, whereas Madness had become their biggest hit over here just one album cycle prior.  I can totally see why Matt would try to get as far away from doing more like Drones for the next album. WOTP seems to me to be a middle ground between the heavy metal political doom of Drones and the kitchen sink pop fun of Simulation Theory. And for once they've cut it down to the most essential songs and kept the runtime to a reasonable album length, which they've rarely ever been good at.  They're my 3rd favorite band, but coming out in the CD age I think had them make a habit of 50-some minute long albums with one or two tracks that might have been better off as B-sides.

Showbiz has about 3 of them

OoS I think is fine, but something in the second half could be cut if necessary and it wouldn't make much difference, if only Feeling Good.

Abso has at least two potential candidates

BH&R was actually their shortest record for a long long time, but even so I think one more song could have been trimmed without negative effect

TR is my favorite, but even I can admit GL could go. It would pain me, but it could go.

T2L has at least three, maybe more, B-side worthy cuts

Drones is weird, because it doesn't actually have many songs, it's just that the songs it does have are all pretty long, and I actually enjoy the length on most of them. There are a couple that could have been trimmed though, and a somewhat shortened version of the title track could've been tacked on the end of The Globalist without being made a separate track for much the same effect.

ST has two or three duds easy. I'll namecheck Dig Down as probably the worst song they've ever let on an album. Granted if they'd just replaced it with the gospel version outright I wouldn't complain, but the electro pop version as it stands is one big "been there, done that" clogging up side two. But props for this being their shortest record since BH&R.

WOTP I wouldn't make any cuts! Honestly if anything there are a few songs I would give a bit more breathing room than they're given, which is a problem I also have with some of ST. I think this kind of value engineered songwriting of the past two albums is a bit of an overcorrection to Drones' long winded arrangements that didn't need to be so long. (Seriously, Psycho really only has enough musical content for about 4 minutes, but somehow it lasts over 5. A decade earlier that riff would've been turned into something like Time Is Running Out, which I'd say is perfect in every way, but bring in Mutt Lange as producer and Matt's need for some random dialogue over an instrumental passage and we have the definition of bloat).... oops I started talking about a different album, lol. Well I haven't really spent that much time with WOTP yet!

Okay I enjoyed seeing you be a bit more critical! And as you're a fan, it was nice seeing how you perceive albums.

What song would you cut off BH?

• Like 1

In no particular order.

Ghost - Impera 

The Warning - Error

Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown

Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying and The Dead 

Alter Bridge - Pawns and Kings

Lamb Of God - Omens 

Ozzy - Patient Number 9 

Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos

The new Slipknot was a disappointment. A couple of pretty good songs but for the most part nothing too memorable that got me to go back after a couple listens. The new Disturbed was a step in the right direction after they went full soccer mom on the last album. But still nothing that really stood out much.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I didn't find it to be about her being crazy at all. There is a lot of different elements going on, and she even admitted some songs are inspired by scenes she saw in movies she loved. I think it's a very playful, sassy pop album with her natural self deprecating humour on full display.

again i'll say good but it sucks:laugh:

look what you call playful and self deprecating i call whiny desperate and clearly out of ideas. from recycled melodies (which is not her fault ten albums....so what?) to some of her worst lyrics ever (some are just awful....SEXY BABY????? and no it's not "playful", lol)

to forced cursing to be edgy (I' not the only person to hear this.....it's a awkward fit on her.)

Not to mention......same old tired topics she's been singing  about for over a decade (People hate me......maybe its my fault.....you ruined this thing we have again Segue......:puke:

yea i hate this record, lol

and no i'm not trying to hate it......it is that bad to me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Okay I enjoyed seeing you be a bit more critical! And as you're a fan, it was nice seeing how you perceive albums.

What song would you cut off BH?

I think Exo-Politics doesn't really add much to the track list. The album already has political songs, mid tempo songs, great riffs, heavy songs. It just kinda sits in between the extremes as the most normal Muse song they could've done. I like it, but it feels like a b-side.

I'm sure a lot of fans would say Soldiers Poem or Invincible, but both of those to me are really big stepping stones for the band as they evolve their sound and capabilities as songwriters.