For Those of a Certain Age, What Was the First CD You Bought?

Rick N. Backer

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

It was one of the first albums to be released on CD, the first CD to sell a million copies, and the first album on CD to outsell its vinyl version.  I remember that the clarity of sound on Brothers In Arms was striking.

• Like 6

On 12/27/2022 at 2:33 PM, Principled Man said:

After the initial excitement of buying CD's died down, the next Big Thing was the BOX SET.    

I remember the awe and glory of buying The Allman Brothers Dreams box set.  FOUR discs in that majestic bronze box..... 

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

First one was Message in a Box by The Police in January 2000 in my first Spring semester of college.  I even remember buying Beastie Boys Sounds of Science anthology with it at some closed down Borders at Puente Hill Mall aka where the BTTF DeLorean scene was filmed.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, custom55 said:

My first CD,  The Who - Live at Leeds.

My first live album was CD in Spring 99 and it was Live at Luther College by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds.  Don't bother with Dave anymore since Busted Stuff but this one is still good and is quite nostalgic for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, goose said:

It was one of the first albums to be released on CD, the first CD to sell a million copies, and the first album on CD to outsell its vinyl version.  I remember that the clarity of sound on Brothers In Arms was striking.

Yeah, It was one of my early CDs also.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Last week I stopped in a record store, because they're so rare now.  I had so many albums on vinyl, all lost when my parents moved out of the house in which I was raised.  :sad:

I have only a fraction of my vinyl collection left now ....... two divorces seen to a lot of that!!!

This was my first CD player.  (not my video) Picked it up in mid 1987.   It was nice, but by 1991 or so it was having trouble playing newer CDs...skips and even a broken record effect.  If i remember correctly by the early 90's cd'd were being released close to the 74 minute limit, which I guess meant closer and narrower tracks. 

Replaced it with a 5 CD Teac changer, that I still have today.  Haven't used it since 2005, It'll find it's way to eBay soon enough. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zepphead said:

Yeah, It was one of my early CDs also.

I remember my dad having that a year after it came out and I rarely saw him playing albums.  He usually had it at the pop station or KLOS FM in L.A..  The other one I remember him playing was my first album heard.  Some album that made Patrick Bateman a big fan.  Early stuff is too new wavey for him.

23 hours ago, goose said:

I had that one on those clear cassettes that smelled like grape soda.

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, goose said:

Man I remember all my friends that were earlier adopters of the cd, had that disc. Sounded so good

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, Principled Man said:

After the initial excitement of buying CD's died down, the next Big Thing was the BOX SET.    

I remember the awe and glory of buying The Allman Brothers Dreams box set.  FOUR discs in that majestic bronze box..... 

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

I think the "deluxe edition," came first.  The first one I bought was Pyromania, with the live set from the Forum as the second disc. 

Can't remember the first on eI bought, but can remember the first one I heard - Iron Maiden, Seventh Son.

A friend had it and hhis brother had quite a good system to listen to it on as well.  Sounded amazing.

41 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I think the "deluxe edition," came first.  The first one I bought was Pyromania, with the live set from the Forum as the second disc. 

I don't remember being excited about Deluxe Editions.  I do remember the time I got suckered into buying a few gold-plated CD's, which were allegedly so much better in their sound quality.  That excitement passed very quickly.....:thumbsdown: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taurus said:

Man I remember all my friends that were earlier adopters of the cd, had that disc. Sounded so good

I had the original CD release  too.

Not my fav DS album.....BUT damn it sounds amazing.

that was a CD you'd use to showcase the at the time new big thing in music listening.

Mick

• Like 2

yeah at the time, no surface noise, no static, no pops, sound clear as anything. No warbling like cassettes did sometimes.

But then eventually one began to miss the subtle rumble and warmth of vinyl.  The atmosphere of some of that noise between tracks...like of like FM noise... the universe having a say in things..... 

• Like 3

i do listen to vinyl and i love it but i don't play it often becaue i have cerebral palsy and my limbs don't often folow my brains orders lol.

so flipping a disc and gently laying the needle like an operation tuckers me out. so it's not the most user friendly way of music listening for me.  CDS were easier for me.  Streaming even easier........a couple clicks.

lol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I don't remember being excited about Deluxe Editions.  I do remember the time I got suckered into buying a few gold-plated CD's, which were allegedly so much better in their sound quality.  That excitement passed very quickly.....:thumbsdown: 

I like DEs if the second disc is a new live set (I can’t hear what “remastering” the studio album does).  Pyromania, Mob Rules, Diary of a Madman and Turbo all have great live sets included.  If it’s studio outtakes, and alternate versions, I’ll only buy Beatles’ or solo Beatles’ albums.

Just reading this whole thread is a warm nostalgia blast.

I remember what a novelty it was at the time to think something like"gee i don't like this song"  then easily hitting a button and.....NEXT SONG!!!!!

that's clearly not a big deal but back then it was a miracle, lol

Mick

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I remember what a novelty it was at the time to think something like"gee i don't like this song"  then easily hitting a button and.....NEXT SONG!!!!!

Mick

OTOH, you couldn’t go for a run and listen to a CD, which kept the blank cassette market alive for a while.  The portable CD players were such delicate devices.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

OTOH, you couldn’t go for a run and listen to a CD, which kept the blank cassette market alive for a while.  The portable CD players were such delicate devices.

the Discmans were SOOOO sensitive.  you'd cough and it would skip, lol

Mick

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Speaking of the aforementioned Message in a Box, track 4 on Synchronicity and the last disc on the box set?  Yeah...

kpMdWdZ.gif

And I just flat out stop after Immortality on Vitalogy.  Stupid Mop is worse than Bugs.  Change my mind.  Ditto Axl's dollar store version of NIN at the end of UYI II.  No, I don't want to step into your world.

Edited by invisible airwave

9 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Speaking of the aforementioned Message in a Box, track 4 on Synchronicity and the last disc on the box set?  Yeah...

kpMdWdZ.gif

And I just flat out stop after Immortality on Vitalogy.  Stupid Mop is worse than Bugs.  Change my mind.  Ditto Axl's dollar store version of NIN at the end of UYI II.  No, I don't want to step into your world.

some people of  the LP age get mad if you skip.

"no your messing with the artists intention!!!"

NO......i just hate Superconductor by Rush:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

some people of  the LP age get mad if you skip.

"no your messing with the artists intention!!!"

NO......i just hate Superconductor by Rush:laugh:

Mick

Worst :rush: single ever from my least favorite album production wise.  Am I listening to them or David Foster era C(s)hitcago?  Song just goes nowhere.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1