Franco Harris, 1950-2022

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-hall-of-fame-rb-franco-harris-author-of-the-immaculate-reception-dies-a

PITTSBURGH -- Franco Harris, the Hall of Fame running back whose heads-up thinking authored "The Immaculate Reception," considered the most iconic play in NFL history, has died. He was 72.

Harris' son Dok told The Associated Press his father passed away overnight. No cause of death was given.

His death comes two days before the 50th anniversary of the play that provided the jolt that helped transform the Steelers from also-rans into the NFL's elite and three days before Pittsburgh is scheduled to retire his No. 32 during a ceremony at halftime of its game against the Las Vegas Raiders on Christmas Eve.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Franco Harris, 1950-2022

RIP, Franco.  :rose:  Our Pittsburgh hearts are broken.   I spent the morning listening to everyone's memories on Pittsburgh sports radio. The Immaculate Reception is the first thing that comes to mind- my dad was at that game! (No one in the stands could tell what happened either! We had to listen on the radio as home games were still blacked out at the time!  )  More than that, though, he transcended being only a sports hero and became a treasured community member. Any kids charity, sports charity, community food drive- he was there, for many many years. Always liked talking to fans and was reportedly a very nice guy. What a huge loss. This is so sad. That Steelers team provided so many memories and so much to talk about in school every Monday . . . sweet memories.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

As a teenage Bengal fanatic in the 70's, I HATED Franco Harris and all of his Steeler teammates.  HATED THEM!!

I got over it.   :biggrin:

Harris was really, really good.  He caught a bit of flak for opting to make defenders miss rather than run over them.  Jim Brown was an unabashed critic, but that's Jim Brown being Jim Brown.  Harris didn't owe anyone an apology for his style of play.  He had a long, glorious career.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

Yeah I remember seeing that play on TV live. Terry Bradshaw owes him a lot for making that play. 😆 

It does epitomize the Never Say Die attitude of sports competition. And I'd say that attitude had a lot to do with Harris's success. Yeah I was a Cowboy fan growing up but Franco always came across to me as a decent guy and good role model. Thanks for a very cool memory, Franco.

• Like 2