Popular Bands You Don't Care For

Mr. Not

22 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

What made the album so influential? As I said, never seen or heard it talked about anywhere else.

Hard to explain. First of all, it is an early classic example of an album made to be a experience, not just hits and fillers (which, let's face it, was BB's bread and butter before this). Hugely experimental songwriting, production, vocal arrangements, huge lashings of melancholy. The album went on to massively inspire The Beatles to only further explore their ambitions, as well as many other bands. 

Personally, the album is revered but has never been a massive seller. It's beloved by many musicians and producers. It has some classic songs but the albums deeper cuts are rarely played. It is not an in your face album, it's not overplayed, it's a wonderful record full of charm, very of its time, though stillbursting with infectious creativity. I think people who hate on it are missing the point. It paved the way for many musicians to explore their craft further, subsequently directly pushing rock and pop production ahead many notches. 

But whatever, you can dislike it but it's definitely not derivative or formulaic. It's been borrowed from so much it's hard to hear it today with a fresh perspective. However, I grew up with Beach Boys singles. Discovering this album was a real joyful surprise. 

It's worth noting this wasn't a blockbuster smash when it came out. Commercially it was something of a setback for them, and critics weren't massively fussed either. But fellow musicians of the era admired it and it slowly found a cult fandom. It's only grown in stature over time. I think it has appeal for music fans. No songs about surfing here. In fact it's a very introspective pop recording, and it's interesting that indie/emo/post-punk bands often cite this as a major influence. In Flames even said that the last albums closing number, Stay With Me, was written after the frontman spent some time with this record and absorbed it.

Bear in mind this was the mid sixties, most bands and artists were chasing big hits, bops, instant smashes.

These are some of this albums lyrics, which are the antithesis of all music listeners expected of them back then:

I know perfectly well

I'm not where I should be

I've been very aware

You've been patient with me

Every time we break up

You bring back your love to me

And after all I've done to you

How can it be

You still believe in me

I try hard to be more

What you want me to be

But I can't help how I act

When you're not here with me

I try hard to be strong

But sometimes I fail myself

And after all I've promised you

So faithfully

You still believe in me

I wanna cry . . .

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Hard to explain. First of all, it is an early classic example of an album made to be a experience, not just hits and fillers (which, let's face it, was BB's bread and butter before this). Hugely experimental songwriting, production, vocal arrangements, huge lashings of melancholy. The album went on to massively inspire The Beatles to only further explore their ambitions, as well as many other bands. 

Personally, the album is revered but has never been a massive seller. It's beloved by many musicians and producers. It has some classic songs but the albums deeper cuts are rarely played. It is not an in your face album, it's not overplayed, it's a wonderful record full of charm, very of its time, though stillbursting with infectious creativity. I think people who hate on it are missing the point. It paved the way for many musicians to explore their craft further, subsequently directly pushing rock and pop production ahead many notches. 

But whatever, you can dislike it but it's definitely not derivative or formulaic. It's been borrowed from so much it's hard to hear it today with a fresh perspective. However, I grew up with Beach Boys singles. Discovering this album was a real joyful surprise. 

It's worth noting this wasn't a blockbuster smash when it came out. Commercially it was something of a setback for them, and critics weren't massively fussed either. But fellow musicians of the era admired it and it slowly found a cult fandom. It's only grown in stature over time. I think it has appeal for music fans. No songs about surfing here. In fact it's a very introspective pop recording, and it's interesting that indie/emo/post-punk bands often cite this as a major influence. In Flames even said that the last albums closing number, Stay With Me, was written after the frontman spent some time with this record and absorbed it.

Bear in mind this was the mid sixties, most bands and artists were chasing big hits, bops, instant smashes.

These are some of this albums lyrics, which are the antithesis of all music listeners expected of them back then:

I know perfectly well

I'm not where I should be

I've been very aware

You've been patient with me

Every time we break up

You bring back your love to me

And after all I've done to you

How can it be

You still believe in me

I try hard to be more

What you want me to be

But I can't help how I act

When you're not here with me

I try hard to be strong

But sometimes I fail myself

And after all I've promised you

So faithfully

You still believe in me

I wanna cry . . .

Massively good post

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Massively good post

Thank you! 

I don't play the album with the same adoration I used too. But my admiration and respect for it grows every year. Have I overplayed it? For myself, yes. It was a staple album in my music rotation for a good 10 years. 

It lead me to discover Fleet Foxes, who I see as a sort of indie/folk/ambient version of Pet Sounds era-Beach Boys, especially the masterpiece that is their debut.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Thank you! 

I don't play the album with the same adoration I used too. But my admiration and respect for it grows every year. Have I overplayed it? For myself, yes. It was a staple album in my music rotation for a good 10 years. 

It lead me to discover Fleet Foxes, who I see as a sort of indie/folk/ambient version of Pet Sounds era-Beach Boys, especially the masterpiece that is their debut.

I definitely get a similar atmosphere from both. But while one makes me sad, the other makes me peaceful.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, J2112YYZ said:

What made the album so influential? As I said, never seen or heard it talked about anywhere else.

I've actually never listened to Pet Sounds.  At one time I owned Endless Summer and Spirit of America, which was all a casual fan needs.

That said, I'm surprised to see this.  Pet Sounds gets mentioned in rock journalism quite a bit, at least from my experience.  It's often cited as a sort of precursor to Sgt. Pepper in terms of albums that showed rock music being more cerebral and substantive.  Like I said, without Googling it, I couldn't tell you what songs actually are on Pet Sounds.  But if you've ever read anything about 60s rock, particularly from 65 on, it's very highly regarded.

I read a biography of Charles Manson about 10 years ago or so that also talked about it, because one of the Wilsons was closely tied to the Manson-family.  IIRC, Sharon Tate lived in the house that particular Wilson lived in, which is why Manson sent his followers there.  So Pet Sound also pops up in late 60s cultural journalism as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I've actually never listened to Pet Sounds.  At one time I owned Endless Summer and Spirit of America, which was all a casual fan needs.

That said, I'm surprised to see this.  Pet Sounds gets mentioned in rock journalism quite a bit, at least from my experience.  It's often cited as a sort of precursor to Sgt. Pepper in terms of albums that showed rock music being more cerebral and substantive.  Like I said, without Googling it, I couldn't tell you what songs actually are on Pet Sounds.  But if you've ever read anything about 60s rock, particularly from 65 on, it's very highly regarded.

I read a biography of Charles Manson about 10 years ago or so that also talked about it, because one of the Wilsons was closely tied to the Manson-family.  IIRC, Sharon Tate lived in the house that particular Wilson lived in, which is why Manson sent his followers there.  So Pet Sound also pops up in late 60s cultural journalism as well.

I recommend it. It doesn't match Rubber Soul/Revolver to me but I feel the three make a nice trio

• Like 1

I remain quite indifferent to the below … 

( or just feel they are just far too

over-rated/overtly hero worshipped by the trendy press such as NME/Rolling Stone magazine etc.. )

Early Peter Green era - Fleetwood Mac 

Eric Clayton ( except Cream ) 

The Clash 

Oasis ( I much prefer NGHFB ! ) 

Pink Floyd

( The Final Cut is terribly   depressing ! ) 

Sex Pistols

Sigue Sigue Sputnik 

Maroon 5 

OK-ish artists / bands ( but not enough

🎸 going on to keep me interested….

or boring song arrangements :imo:) ..

Foreigner 

Bruce Springsteen 

Dire Straits 

Supertramp 

Kiss ( although they do have 4 or 5 quite good songs ) 

• Like 1