Popular Bands You Don't Care For

Mr. Not

32 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

My dislike for Nirvana is well documented so I don't have to go on about how overrated they are and how they lowered the standard for all of rock music for several years since they made it ok for bands to suck at what they did and still get played on the radio. David Grohl was the only talent in that band.

Kiss is the other big one for me. All marketing and image and very little substance. There are also a number of overplayed classic rock bands that I never got into. The big thing for me is that there are a lot of old hits that still get played on the radio and I can't understand why so many years after it's relevancy they still get played. Some hits are eternal but there are a lot of them that should have been left behind in the era they came out in.

DUDE the way adults swoon for a band clearly meant for 9 year olds.......i mean........they should do them but......i played destroyer and got embarrassed FOR the fans, lol

Mick

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

DUDE the way adults swoon for a band clearly meant for 9 year olds.......i mean........they should do them but......i played destroyer and got embarrassed FOR the fans, lol

Mick

DESTROYER IS NOT THE RIGHT ALBUM TO JUDGE KISS BY

listen to Alive. If you still hate it, fine. But Destroyer is gaudy and over produced and is much more likely to turn you off of them than, say, Rock And Roll Over.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

man.. i've made that mistake before too

and there's no defending ELP

Another band I have a lot of love for, lol.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

same, but i could never sell them if someone told me they didn't like them. ELO on the other hand should appeal to everyone 

I… agree with this wholeheartedly. Very well put.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

Dream Theater. Incredible musicians and I respect the hell out of the way they've built their career and following with virtually zero mainstream radio/media support. But none of their music does anything for me at all. I've tried for 20 years and it's all just so cold and clinical to me.

Not sure I would call Dream Theater popular. The majority of people don't know who they are. I thought this thread was supposed to be for more universally known bands.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

DESTROYER IS NOT THE RIGHT ALBUM TO JUDGE KISS BY

listen to Alive. If you still hate it, fine. But Destroyer is gaudy and over produced and is much more likely to turn you off of them than, say, Rock And Roll Over.

Wait, Destroyer is the height of mediocrity. I can't imagine how Kiss gets better than that.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Haha 1

Most are obvious:

Machine Gun Kelly 

Imagine Dragons 

Muse (post-BHAR) 

Ed Sheeran 

KISS 

Korn 

Limp Bizkit 

Five Finger Death Punch 

Cardi B 

I once would have added Pantera, Judas Priest, Steely Dan, Guns N Roses, Queen andEagles, but now I really like/love them all.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

for me it's led zeppelin and metallica. 

those guys suck

ac/dc and guns n roses suck too, but i don't dislike them as much.

everyone else is cool though, even fleetwood mac. 

Def Leppard, The Police although I love Signals, ZZ Top, Huey Lewis and the News, The Cure, anything heavier than Metallica. That band named after a guy with the flute player of another name...that one sucks. I'm sure there are others. 

I love Duran Duran

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

rolling Stones have a very small handful of albums i like and then tons that do nothing for me.

Mick

I hated the Stones from 1972 till 2016. Suddenly one day I got their brilliance, it was like a blind man suddenly hearing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

number1 will ALWAYS be Nirvana for me.  one of the most overblown bands ever.

saving grace to me is Dave's drumming.

The albums are a snoozefest though.

Mick

Dave's drumming live is amazing.

I thought of one more........ZZ Top.  i've tried over and over.  it's just bland and middle of the road blues rock to me. Maybe i've not heard the right album but i always get bored a few songs in.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

I thought of one more........ZZ Top.  i've tried over and over.  it's just bland and middle of the road blues rock to me. Maybe i've not heard the right album but i always get bored a few songs in.

Mick

Ouch...this one hurt me 😭

23 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

ZZ Top made the blues fun and great to rock out to. I always thought they had a very unique sound that was more than your standard blues band. Billy Gibbons guitar tone and vocal style certainly set them apart from everyone else who played that style. What albums have you heard?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

ZZ Top made the blues fun and great to rock out to. I always thought they had a very unique sound that was more than your standard blues band. Billy Gibbons guitar tone and vocal style certainly set them apart from everyone else who played that style. What albums have you heard?

Deguello, Tras Hombres and Eliminator.  None of these did it for me so i'm assuming they're not for me.

can't love everything.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

7 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The Foo Fighters.  Not once in my life have I ever said, "I'm gonna listen to a Foo Fighters album."  I don't have any animosity towards them the way I do some of the prog faves.  They just do nothing for me.

I'm not the biggest FF fan. Have come around to them, but not in a massive "they are one of the best bands ever" kind of way.

Nirvana remains superior forever to me 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They also sound a lot like Judas Priest.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Deguello, Tras Hombres and Eliminator.  None of these did it for me so i'm assuming they're not for me.

can't love everything.

Mick

They're probably not for you if those albums don't do anything.

• Like 3