Popular Bands You Don't Care For

Mr. Not

Just about any of these faux "rock" pop acts like Imagine Dragons, MGK and Maroon 5 to name a few and most watered down, Monster energy drink "butt rock" like 5FDP and Nickelback.

As far as classic rock goes, Styx.  Most pomp rock I can't deal with.  I can even tolerate some of the "corporate rock" bands of the era like Foreigner and Journey but Styx does nothing for me.  Those cynical ahole critics Adam Sandler talked about in Big Daddy were right.

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

number1 will ALWAYS be Nirvana for me.  one of the most overblown bands ever.

saving grace to me is Dave's drumming.

The albums are a snoozefest though.

Mick

they have a couple good songs and their acoustic set was cool too, particularly the meat puppet stuff. but i agree, there's nothing special about them in the slightest, they're just a rock band. i'd put them in the same category as AC/DC really, there's nothing they do other than appeal to the lowest common denominator. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

number1 will ALWAYS be Nirvana for me.  one of the most overblown bands ever.

saving grace to me is Dave's drumming.

The albums are a snoozefest though.

Mick

Yeah, there is a big jump in quality from Bleach to Nevermind and I always preferred the other 3 Seattle bands and even STP and Smashing Pumpkins over them.  Krist has some decent moments on bass like the opening to Lounge Act.  Bleach just showed they were a poor man's version of better bands like Melvins, Pixies and Hüsker Dü.  Grohl is number 2 of 90s alt rock drummers behind Jimmy Chamberlin for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Not said:

they have a couple good songs and their acoustic set was cool too, particularly the meat puppet stuff. but i agree, there's nothing special about them in the slightest, they're just a rock band. i'd put them in the same category as AC/DC really, there's nothing they do other than appeal to the lowest common denominator. 

Also the tired argument is they changed the scene.......true.......BUT really they just broke first.  Alice in Chains (a Much better band IMO) had a shot too.  Nirvana just got there ahead.

Mick

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Yeah, there is a big jump in quality from Bleach to Nevermind and I always preferred the other 3 Seattle bands and even STP and Smashing Pumpkins over them.  Krist has some decent moments on bass like the opening to Lounge Act.  Bleach just showed they were a poor man's version of better bands like Melvins, Pixies and Hüsker Dü.  Grohl is number 2 of 90s alt rock drummers behind Jimmy Chamberlin for me.

I LOVE early Pixes.  much better band.

Mick

1 minute ago, TheAccountant said:

Nirvana defiantly.  Pearl Jam.  With the exception of a few songs, The Rolling Stones.  Even those songs don't thrill me.  They are just sort of ok.

rolling Stones have a very small handful of albums i like and then tons that do nothing for me.

Mick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

rolling Stones have a very small handful of albums i like and then tons that do nothing for me.

Mick

For me, I can take about 2 of their songs - Jumping Jack Flash & Satisfaction.  I guess there might be a few more, if I pushed it.  But albums?  Man you got me there.  I don't own any of their albums and can't imagine ever getting any.  I am not thrilled by even their early work and to me they were a band that never changed (much) or grew.  Unlike most great bands that change and grow.

Never saw them in concert and had no interest in doing so.  Just don't understand what people see in them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

ELP is another for me.  Now i love 70's prog to death but these guys fail to move me for whatever reason and i've tried.

Mick

that's a shame, i just listened through Eldorado on my 5 a.m. morning walk yesterday and it was a beautiful experience. 

all of their 70's albums are good so i doubt you listened to the "wrong album", but after the 70s they drop like a rock. their prog phase was only really on their 2nd and 3rd albums, and i'd say their third album is probably their best so maybe give "On the Third Day" another try. "ELO 2" is even more prog than that one and holds it's unique place in prog history

2 hours ago, custom55 said:

Billy Joel

ugh - Uptown Girl

Yeah, Billy Joel is a strange one for me.  I do own a few of his albums and really like the songs Allentown & We Didn't Start The Fire.  But the song you mention, ugh said it all.

I can't say that I really dislike him but I don't get what people see in most of his music.  Not a fan and generally I avoid his music. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

for me it's led zeppelin and metallica. 

those guys suck

ac/dc and guns n roses suck too, but i don't dislike them as much.

everyone else is cool though, even fleetwood mac. 

Led Zeppelin I am not crazy about - primarily because I don't care for Robert Plant's vocals.  But I do have a lot of their albums and I will listen to them.  Some of their songs are very good.  Zep IV is all killer, no filler (I am listening to it right now actually).  So they have their moments, songs and albums.  They are just overplayed.

Metallica - I really like Fade To Black and For Whom The Bell Tolls.  Plus a few songs off the black album and their cover of Turn The Page.  Otherwise yeah, I agree, Metallica sucks.  Plus they are overplayed.

ACDC is just (IMO) massively overplayed.  I own a few of their albums and they are ok - but nothing very special.  

G & R had a great first album and the Song Civil War from the follow up albums is their very best song.  Other than that I would agree.  Plus they are also greatly overplayed.

Another band that has a few decent songs, a bunch of junk, and is greatly overplayed is Arowsmith. 

I have tried so hard to like The Dead, and I can't. I just can't.  

I love Phish though.  Weird, right?

Also Haken.  I should like them....but I just don't. Not working for me.  maybe one day they will click.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

that's a shame, i just listened through Eldorado on my 5 a.m. morning walk yesterday and it was a beautiful experience. 

all of their 70's albums are good so i doubt you listened to the "wrong album", but after the 70s they drop like a rock. their prog phase was only really on their 2nd and 3rd albums, and i'd say their third album is probably their best so maybe give "On the Third Day" another try. "ELO 2" is even more prog than that one and holds it's unique place in prog history

He said ELP, not ELO, lol.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, grep said:

I have tried so hard to like The Dead, and I can't. I just can't.  

I love Phish though.  Weird, right?

Also Haken.  I should like them....but I just don't. Not working for me.  maybe one day they will click.

i love Haken a lot, top 10 of all time for me. i prefer them to dream theater or any other prog metal band out there really.

definitely not a hugely popular band, but within prog circles yes. 

• Like 1

My dislike for Nirvana is well documented so I don't have to go on about how overrated they are and how they lowered the standard for all of rock music for several years since they made it ok for bands to suck at what they did and still get played on the radio. David Grohl was the only talent in that band.

Kiss is the other big one for me. All marketing and image and very little substance. There are also a number of overplayed classic rock bands that I never got into. The big thing for me is that there are a lot of old hits that still get played on the radio and I can't understand why so many years after it's relevancy they still get played. Some hits are eternal but there are a lot of them that should have been left behind in the era they came out in.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, custom55 said:

Billy Joel

ugh - Uptown Girl

As a fan of his, I will roll my eyes when I hear that song. I often skip it when listening to the album. It's a short song but life is too short to waste time listening to it.

• Like 2