Steven Wilson on Rick Beato’s Show Today

Tony R

Nice, i'll watch this. Haven't got to Porcupine Tree yet, but have heard some of his remixes, which I say are pretty nice. I also know the story of how Fripp, after deeming Lizard, bar "Belero", unlistenable, finally came to terms with it after Wilson's remix, which excited him. Thats enough to have me interested

It was a good interview. A little heavy on the production side vs Steven's music. I did enjoy the sneak peak Steven gave of The Harmony Codex. He said it'll be a bit of a blending of many genres and will be designed with Dolby Atmos in mind. I wonder if it will end up being as varied as Dark Side of the Moon or maybe Empath by Devin Townsend without being so wacky.

• Like 1

Hour+ went by quick.  I related on every level with SW's journey and approach.  From the parents with a wide variety of musical tastes influencing my genre-sweeping approach to music creation, to not being a scientist in the craft of engineering and mixing (but still able to accomplish what sounds good, which is ultimately the goal of the entire art), to making music that is so varied it seems to be an inherent roadblock to gaining and maintaining fans.

The other points about how single songs are driving music appreciation more than ever, leaving artists in something of a bind as far as getting fan support and recognition, are spot on as well.

Rick's youtube channel is so well respected now it seems like a defacto safe place for artists to come on and get open about things.  Not that SW has been particularly shy about how he feels, but he seemed more open and relaxed in this interview than I recall ever seeing.  He also just might be getting better at it with time, he's only in the past 20 years really had enough notoriety to do interviews with any regularity.

• Like 1