Bah, help me find the song!

JohnRogers

Dang man, I used apps, Google and shit but I can't find it. It's some punk/new wave pub song shit. Some band like The Alarm but not The Alarm. Probably used in in some TV beer commercial.

Some lyrics: here's to you, here's to the...I don't know union docker workers or something.

Fvck man, what it is it?

Just for the record, I knew what it was right away!

It may be a bit obscure, but I love this song. I literally, not kidding, listen to this song every day, usually early on. Great message.

Good pick, man!

• Like 3

Contrary to what IbanezJem says about The Call, I actually saw them in concert at the University of Maryland back in 1989, and they played Let The Day Begin.

It was a very good show in a medium sized ballroom in the student union. The show was general admission, and my friend and I were standing just a couple of rows from the stage. 

Again, really good performance, and for having never heard of the band before, I've never forgotten seeing them. 

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Contrary to what IbanezJem says about The Call, I actually saw them in concert at the University of Maryland back in 1989, and they played Let The Day Begin.

It was a very good show in a medium sized ballroom in the student union. The show was general admission, and my friend and I were standing just a couple of rows from the stage. 

Again, really good performance, and for having never heard of the band before, I've never forgotten seeing them. 

I wasn`t being flippant though, I really had never heard of them. I see that they never got a single into the UK Top 40 and were active only in the late 80s... I did listen to chart music back then as a young teenager, but they never got to the radio over here.

• Like 1

I will always remember listening to a classic rock station one particular day.  The DJ was taking live requests on the air. 

No lie.....the DJ took a call from some dim-sounding guy who only said, "Hey, could you play that song where he's singing to that girl...."

There was a pause....(I imagined the DJ doing a huge facepalm)......and then the DJ replied, "Who is 'he' ?  What girl?  What are you talking about?"  The caller couldn't provide any more information....    :laugh:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I wasn`t being flippant though, I really had never heard of them. I see that they never got a single into the UK Top 40 and were active only in the late 80s... I did listen to chart music back then as a young teenager, but they never got to the radio over here.

I'd never heard of them before I went to that show, and I've barely heard of them since.

8 hours ago, Principled Man said:

I will always remember listening to a classic rock station one particular day.  The DJ was taking live requests on the air. 

No lie.....the DJ took a call from some dim-sounding guy who only said, "Hey, could you play that song where he's singing to that girl...."

There was a pause....(I imagined the DJ doing a huge facepalm)......and then the DJ replied, "Who is 'he' ?  What girl?  What are you talking about?"  The caller couldn't provide any more information....    :laugh:

Fortunately, I was able to provide some partial lyrics!

Some lyrics: here's to you, here's to the...I don't know union docker workers or something.

The lead singer's son was a member of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and they did a cover of "Let The Day Begin" that's cool in its own way, but a bit too downbeat to match the energy and spirit of the original.

RIP to that lead singer, btw . . .

12 hours ago, dream & vapour said:

The Call enjoyed some respectable airtime on the good ol' AOR station in my neck of the woods back in the day.  'Everywhere I Go' and 'I Still Believe' reside on my workout iPod.

I still Believe is a great song, probably their best.

Interesting how they got so much airplay, only to be relatively forgotten. You couldn't get away from Let The Day Begin at the time.

But the preceding album with I Still Believe is the better album

• Like 1

15 hours ago, goose said:

The Walls Came Down got a lot of airplay

It's on the YouTube of course

I don't think there are any Russians
And there ain't no Yanks
Just corporate criminals
Playin' with tanks
Ya ya ya ya ya ya
Ya ya ya ya ya ya
Ya ya ya ya ya ya
Ya ya ya ya ya ya
Ya ya ya ya ya ya
Woof woof

On 11/22/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mr. Not said:

if you ever want a little challenge, try to name 10 bands you like better than The Call

...that start with C?

:laugh:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1