The Cult

JohnRogers

People say I don't venture out of SOCN enough. That they wish I did it more often because they enjoy...nay, they value my views, questions and quips on film, music, TV and cars. 

So, The Cult, what's up with that? I own Sonic Temple and there was a time it did heavy rotation in my car CD player. What genre would you put the band in? What would you say are the six essential tracks to listen to?

• Like 1

I remember buying Sonic Temple, pretty much on the strength of the first single Fire Woman, when I was little more than a foetus.  At the time, I reckon they were considered more rock than The Cure and less dark than The Sisters of Mercy, so almost in the gothic/indie genre... but for me, they`re pretty much  mainstream. Other than She Sells Sanctuary I`m not sure I`d be able to offer up many tracks.

Oh, and I believe I speak for the forum in saying I`m deeply moved... nay honoured, to see you post outside SOCN. :coy:

• Like 3

Sonic Temple fan here as well. I've heard some interesting interviews with Billy Duffy and always meant to expand my listening to other albums but just end up turning on the radio instead?  :confused:

Edited by blueschica

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

People say I don't venture out of SOCN enough. That they wish I did it more often because they enjoy...nay, they value my views, questions and quips on film, music, TV and cars. 

So, The Cult, what's up with that? I own Sonic Temple and there was a time it did heavy rotation in my car CD player. What genre would you put the band in? What would you say are the six essential tracks to listen to?

Who are “the people,” saying this Jackie?

The Cult are a rock band.  Love, Electric and Sonic Temple are all great albums.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

People say I don't venture out of SOCN enough.

They're right.  :wink:  

I used to listen to them years ago.  I saw them twice in 2 different cities.  They're a hard rock band.  Their bass player is touring with Bily Idol now.  

• Like 1

Before they were a hard rock band they were pretty goth/post punk...they wemt under the name of Southern Death Cult then Death Cult, eventually becoming The Cult we are more familiar with.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Mmmmm...do they, tho?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't know much about them beyond the hits. But anyone who has working ears should be able to hear that they are a rock band.

I was so close to typing sub-genre.

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Mmmmm...do they, tho?

Robert B. Reich who goes by TaiShan1951 is a big fan.

23 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Half the time I'm talking about The Cult, I really mean to be talking about The Cure.

So there's that.

Meh, The Cure. I way too metal for that soft tripe.

18 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Why do you hate guys in lipstick?

I'm so tired of being worn down. At this point I'd probably date a guy wearing lipstick.