Favorite Keyboard Intros

Texas King

8 hours ago, tangy said:

Space intro- fly like an eagle by Steve Miller

1984 to jump by Van Halen

Not sure if they count as they are two songs but serve as intros?

How's about

Your time is gonna come by led zep

Planet Claire by the B52s

I'd add their most underrated song, Night Flight from Physical Graffiti.  JPJ just flat out dominates that song.

• Like 2

thinking about this made me realize how few keyboard intros there really are.

piano / acoustic guitar intros are everywhere, but not plain keyboard. 

Close To The Edge doesn't count but was one i wanted to mention right off the bat

Octavarium by Dream Theater might have counted too, since it's a long intro and the at the climax of it is Jordan Rudess.. Only i realized he's playing it on a steel guitar using heavy effects, so that's also not a keyboard intro. 

Frank Zappa doesn't have many keyboard intros, if i were to name one i'd just be naming it for the sake of discovering it.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, goose said:

Does piano count?

23 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Absolutely!

22 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I sort of feel like piano intros should be their own separate thing though.

Several entries on Beato's list were piano intros. I see no reason to consider the piano as a keyboard instrument that needs its own list.

16 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Several entries on Beato's list were piano intros. I see no reason to consider the piano as a keyboard instrument that needs its own list.

I just feel like pianos tend to be used in a different way than synths or mellotrons or even organs. He actually did make separate lists for acoustic and electric guitar intros.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:56 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I just feel like pianos tend to be used in a different way than synths or mellotrons or even organs. He actually did make separate lists for acoustic and electric guitar intros.

i agree, we don't need to separate them here for this thread but pianos are much more conventional and it's easier to start off a song with a piano intro that's (typically) just the hook of the song in piano format. meanwhile a keyboard intro will have to be more creative. 

e.g. i love the intro to Uncle Remus, but that's just the song, while Light My Fire is a good example of a keyboard intro which is entirely exclusive to the keyboard

• Like 2