What is the best seat in the house during a live Rush show?

Slime

What is the best seat in the house during a live Rush show?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best seat in the house during a live Rush show?

• Floor seats, A section - gotta be right up front, as close to the band as possible!
    • Floor seats, B or C section - a bit of distance is needed, but not too much!
    • 100 level, left or right - I don't mind seeing 'em from an angle
    • 100 level, middle - I need the straight angle view and want to avoid peering over the tops of everyone's head
    • 200 level, left or right
    • 200 level, middle
    • 300 level, left or right - I'll bring my binoculars if I have to!
    • 300 level, middle - It may be less crowded here, and that's fine by me!
    • Suites/special rooms - Gotta live that life of luxury! Plus much easier bathroom access.

If you're at a live Rush show, where's the best seat in the house??

And I do mean Rush specifically! - For other bands, you may want a different kind of seat, and that's fine!

I'm going off of a pretty standard "sports arena sectioned off for a rock show" arrangement, as can be seen in this diagram (from rateyourseats.com) 

(Stage in black, everything behind it closed, most fan seats in blue, maybe the suites are open to those with extra cash)

hard-rock-stadium-concert-seating-chart-

And no cop-out super hilarious "The best seat is MY HOUSE lol!" answers either :mad::tongue:

The touring days may sadly be done, but we can still reminisce and discuss!

Sadly only a thought experiment now. I cannot say for sure, as I only ever saw Rush once and my dad and I were in the very back row of the very highest section, just left of center....

But it was my first ever concert and unashamedly still my favorite concert memory ever. They played my dad's favorite Rush song and my favorite Rush song, nearly back to back if I recall (Xanadu and Cygnus X-1), it was such a special show, and I've never been at another with the same love and energy that filled the crowd that night. So I'd say the best seat at a Rush show is the one next to the person you most want to see Rush with, the one at the venue you'll have the best time getting to, and the one on the tour you most want to see.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Sadly only a thought experiment now. I cannot say for sure, as I only ever saw Rush once and my dad and I were in the very back row of the very highest section, just left of center....

But it was my first ever concert and unashamedly still my favorite concert memory ever. They played my dad's favorite Rush song and my favorite Rush song, nearly back to back if I recall (Xanadu and Cygnus X-1), it was such a special show, and I've never been at another with the same love and energy that filled the crowd that night. So I'd say the best seat at a Rush show is the one next to the person you most want to see Rush with, the one at the venue you'll have the best time getting to, and the one on the tour you most want to see.

That's like the best answer ever. Thank you! :smile:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

We would normally have gone 200 section left or right, but to be honest, when they toured the UK, I was just glad to be anywhere inside the stadium!!

To answer the OP,  B or C section on the floor.

However, HRS is one of the last places  I would want to attend a concert at, despite the fact that I am less than 5 miles from the venue "as the crow flies".  I've been in there for baseball, football, and an RV show many moons ago, but a concert there, no thanks.  Getting in and out of the stadium, concessions prices, acoustics, aw, hell no!

For me, it was anywhere down in the first 15 with the hardcore fans.

Every now and then it was also nice to see the full light show from the back of the arena, just above stage level.  

• Like 1

Front Row is amazing at a RUSH show. I was right in front of Geddy for a show in Reno and it's by far the best RUSH experience I've had, from a musician standpoint.  Another great experience I had was in a fully catered luxury box in Seattle.  I made a last-minute decision to get a ticket and a guy pulled me out of line and invited me to his box.  All I had to do was tip the service staff.  Another fun time was on the back lawn with my buddies for the Time Machine tour.  Lots of room, so I did an interpretive dance during YYZ.  Folks were entertained.

These days I avoid arenas.  300 seats or less is where it's at.

• Like 2

I always loved seeming them at amphitheaters where there was a grassy area to camp out.  Cheap seats, more room, more interaction with other fans…just some wonderful summer nights with Rush and fans.

Seeing as that isn’t an option for this poll, I’d go with A-3 in the first several rows as my favorite.  

• Like 2

Love seats up front just to get close to the band and the energy is high.  Because it's difficult to land those seats and  the $$$ involved, it is a rare occasion that I get that seat.

'

• Like 1

middle section floor strikes about the right balance for me. never felt the need to be front row and the $$$ always scared me away from considering that. Seems like front row would be sensory overload for the sound and lights. I'm 6'4" so never had a problem visually from the floor. 

I got the magic seat combination of row 21, seat 12 in Chicago on the last tour. Ticketbastard was finally nice to me. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 12:52 AM, HemiBeers said:

middle section floor strikes about the right balance for me. never felt the need to be front row and the $$$ always scared me away from considering that. Seems like front row would be sensory overload for the sound and lights. I'm 6'4" so never had a problem visually from the floor. 

I got the magic seat combination of row 21, seat 12 in Chicago on the last tour. Ticketbastard was finally nice to me. 

I hope you kept that ticket.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, goose said:

Another fun time was on the back lawn with my buddies for the Time Machine tour.  Lots of room, so I did an interpretive dance during YYZ.  Folks were entertained.

Any Grateful Dead concerts you care to share with us :spacecraft::chickendance:?

• Haha 1

I have to agree with Entre_Perpetuo on this. 

I see the topic again and start thinking, yup front and centre - or perhaps a little higher to see more action. 

Then I remember being with my brother at the Friday night R40 in Toronto. Where we grew up. When we loved RUSH together - or apart (brothers, duh).

I agree. "The best seat is the one next to the person you most want to see RUSH with". That should be in a music history book some day. Brilliant!

• Like 3

I went with 100 level, left or right.  That worked well for me when I saw them at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on the CA tour and something similar when I saw them on the Presto tour at the Knick (now MVP arena) in Albany.  

My second choice would be the 300  level middle.  I did not see Rush this way but I saw The Who from this angle on The Who turn 50 tour at Madison Square Garden and it was great.

My actual first choice was not available.  That would have been "Out on the Lawn."  Always worked great at Saratoga Performing Arts Center for me with Rush (and basically other band).

• Like 1

Every seat for Rush I ever had sucked. The "best" was lawn seats at an outdoor shed.

BUT

I sat second row for David Gilmour on his last (final?) tour. That was mind-blowing to see him play Comfortably Numb right in front of me. The stagelights were so bright for That Solo I had to shield my eyes. (Inside tip: He drinks tea between songs.)

It was also weird to make eye contact with his beautiful backup singer -- and she nods and smiles back. :smile:

• Like 1