Best 80s hard rock / heavy metal albums TOP 5  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Choose 3

• Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    • Rush - Moving Pictures
    • Rush - Permanent Waves
    • Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
    • Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

So.... I was just about to do this without MP or PeW, but then I thought about it from a new perspective, and I do think in this past round, had they not been included, a different crop of albums could've easily risen to the top, as most of the records that weren't made by Rush hovered around a similar number of votes, so a couple extra votes in everyone's hands might've caused some real sway. I no longer think this is going to lead to a very interesting result of this poll since MP and PeW are still likely to dominate everything in their path, but hey, at least it will be consistent. So to those of you who didn't agree with me about disqualifying them towards the top, congrats, I've joined your side, lol.

Also I'm giving way more votes than a top 5 aught to contain because I fully expect if I only gave one or two that Rush would just cream absolutely everything else, not that they still won't.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Thus far only Derek19 and I have decent taste in music.

It's incredibly hard to say goodbye to Moving Pictures but I'm a Permanent Waves guy. Operation Mindcrime is like maybe my favorite non-Rush album.  Appetite For Destruction is a master piece of the genre, it was a game changer that still sounded fresh decades later. While I didn't choose Master of Puppets it's greatness is not lost on me. I just couldn't choose two Rush albums on this list, feel me?

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Thus far only Derek19 and I have decent taste in music.

It's incredibly hard to say goodbye to Moving Pictures but I'm a Permanent Waves guy. Operation Mindcrime is like maybe my favorite non-Rush album.  Appetite For Destruction is a master piece of the genre, it was a game changer that still sounded fresh decades later. While I didn't choose Master of Puppets it's greatness is not lost on me. I just couldn't choose two Rush albums on this list, feel me?

The two RUSH albums should have been left off.  But they weren't,  and they're the best two albums listed, imo.  

14 hours ago, goose said:

The two RUSH albums should have been left off.  But they weren't,  and they're the best two albums listed, imo.  

He already left off the heavy metal classic Hold Your Fire, that's gotta count for something!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

He already left off the heavy metal classic Hold Your Fire, that's gotta count for something!

Y'all act like I made the list, lol.

Two Rush and a Metallica for me (although to be honest it was really only the two Rush albums which interested me).

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 3:50 AM, goose said:

I'd put Operation: Mindcrime above Permanent Waves, but only by a teensy bit

On 10/17/2022 at 10:50 PM, goose said:

On 10/18/2022 at 12:58 PM, laughedatbytime said:

He's saving HYF for his upcoming '90s death metal poll. When's the last time you listened to "Second Nature?" It's brutal. :firedevil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

And, actually, the album that SHOULD be running away with 3rd isn't part of the tie.

Which one would you say that is?

55 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

He's saving HYF for his upcoming '90s death metal poll. When's the last time you listened to "Second Nature?" It's brutal. :firedevil:

Yeah, I’m holding off on it. Seems to me the vocals in Tai Shan might be a little much for some people. Even treeduck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah, I’m holding off on it. Seems to me the vocals in Tai Shan might be a little much for some people. Even treeduck!

Those galloping synths on HYF are so powerful, Geddy is really an underrated keyboardist. It would be Rush's most barbaric and ferocious album, had they not made Presto. Love the album cover depicting those Killer Rabbits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Appetite.  I don't like Queensryche and prefer "sell out," Metallica.

I see

9 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Those galloping synths on HYF are so powerful, Geddy is really an underrated keyboardist. It would be Rush's most barbaric and ferocious album, had they not made Presto. Love the album cover depicting those Killer Rabbits.

Oh I can’t really stomach it myself, too graphic. Roll The Bones too. Just call me squeamish, but the music is so brutal and unrelenting that I just have to squint my eyes when putting on the albums so I don’t have to look at the covers!

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:04 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

Appetite.  I don't like Queensryche and prefer "sell out," Metallica.

Where is the eye rolling emoji?

• Like 1

I have a theory that given enough time on a Rush thread, it will eventually get to a stage where TaiShan is mentioned whatever the topic! 

A Rush-forums version of Godwin's Law if you will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I believe is undisputed is that the perceived masterpiece by each of these bands is represented here and for me, it's difficult to choose between them. 

Although in the case of each band, I wouldn't be surprised if some fans of each them might argue for another album (Ride The Lightning - jostles with Master for my Metallica fave; Use you Illusion - not overly familiar with it but it was a grand 2 album undertaking; Empire is a worthy follow-up to Mindcrime so someone might argue for that....).

Similiar for Moving Pics and Perm Waves. Always had a pref for the Wavey one but I can't argue with the popularity and brilliance of Moving Pics either, even with factoring in over-hearing side 1 via Radio etc.

As for whether MP or PW should be in the poll, the 1001 Album Club podcast reviewed MP and said that it was quoted somewhere that Rush is for those who want the technicality of Yes married with the riffs of Black Sabbath. So surely the intersection with Black Sabbath makes them a worthy competitor in this poll!

Really difficult to pick a 1,2,3 because I love all of these albums notwithstanding my pref for others in their catalogues.

Not the biggest Guns n Roses fan but I love Appetite and could easily have all albums share no.1 position although PW and MP would have to squabble and take turns as to who's on the podium at any one time!

Veering towards 1. Mindcrime, 2. PW, 3. Puppets 

but Moving Pics and Appetite can both take their turns on 2 & 3 respectively after a rolling 5 minute timeout. 

5 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

What I believe is undisputed is that the perceived masterpiece by each of these bands is represented here and for me, it's difficult to choose between them. 

Although in the case of each band, I wouldn't be surprised if some fans of each them might argue for another album (Ride The Lightning - jostles with Master for my Metallica fave; Use you Illusion - not overly familiar with it but it was a grand 2 album undertaking; Empire is a worthy follow-up to Mindcrime so someone might argue for that....).

Similiar for Moving Pics and Perm Waves. Always had a pref for the Wavey one but I can't argue with the popularity and brilliance of Moving Pics either, even with factoring in over-hearing side 1 via Radio etc.

As for whether MP or PW should be in the poll, the 1001 Album Club podcast reviewed MP and said that it was quoted somewhere that Rush is for those who want the technicality of Yes married with the riffs of Black Sabbath. So surely the intersection with Black Sabbath makes them a worthy competitor in this poll!

Really difficult to pick a 1,2,3 because I love all of these albums notwithstanding my pref for others in their catalogues.

Not the biggest Guns n Roses fan but I love Appetite and could easily have all albums share no.1 position although PW and MP would have to squabble and take turns as to who's on the podium at any one time!

Veering towards 1. Mindcrime, 2. PW, 3. Puppets 

but Moving Pics and Appetite can both take their turns on 2 & 3 respectively after a rolling 5 minute timeout. 

Speaking for myself, I would say the black album is Metallica's masterpiece.  But I am aware that a lot of Metallica fans would disagree with that and put any one of their earlier albums ahead of it.

The number of classics Queensryche had to beat out to get to the top 5 is staggering.  Blizzard of Ozz?  Heaven and Hell?  Back in Black?  Screaming for Vengeance?  Number of the Beast?

MIndcrime?  More like mind blowing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Speaking for myself, I would say the black album is Metallica's masterpiece.  But I am aware that a lot of Metallica fans would disagree with that and put any one of their earlier albums ahead of it.

The number of classics Queensryche had to beat out to get to the top 5 is staggering.  Blizzard of Ozz?  Heaven and Hell?  Back in Black?  Screaming for Vengeance?  Number of the Beast?

MIndcrime?  More like mind blowing.

Well I was only answering with respect to the albums that have made it to this round. But I think most would agree we have the perceived best of the these bands in this round.

Sure, there are other bands and albums that could or should have made it through. Love Heaven and Hell and Back in Black. BiB's definitely Johnson's best with AC/DC. I personally think Mob Rules is on a par with HaH even though the tracks Heaven and Hell and Children of the Sea alone can defeat whole discographies of other bands!

Blizzard's good but too but not quite at the top for me. And much as I'm appreciating Priest these days (and I know there's a lot of love for them on here), I can't vote for Screaming as an album to match some of the others on offer here. Looking at ranking lists for Priest, interestingly there seems to be a lot of variation - Screaming is top on 1, British Steel on another etc. 

You don't like Queensryche or Mindcrime in particular? The albums is, I would imagine, thought of as their magnum opus whatever you think of them as a band. 

Personally, I'm still sad that Dumpy's Rusty Nuts didn't make it through but hey ho!