Best 80s hard rock / heavy metal records ROUND 2  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Choose 5

• Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    • Rush - Moving Pictures
    • Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
    • Scorpions - Blackout
    • Dio - Holy Diver
    • Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
    • Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
    • Def Leppard - Pyromania
    • Van Halen - Women And Children First
    • Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
    • Metallica - ...And Justice For All
    • Rush - Permanent Waves
    • Judas Priest - British Steel
    • Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
  2. 2. Choose 5

• Ozzy Osborne - Blizzard Of Oz
    • AC/DC - Back In Black
    • Triumph - Allied Forces
    • Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    • Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    • Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    • Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
    • Van Halen - Fair Warning
    • Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    • Metallica - Kill 'Em All
    • Ozzy Osborne - Diary Of A Madman
    • Van Halen - 1984
    • Iron Maiden - Killers
    • Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast

29 minutes ago, NoahLutz said:

Are we supposed to vote for the albums we like the most, or the ones that we like the most that are hard rock/metal?

They’re all hard rock / metal. Otherwise they would have been wiped off the list. You can dispute that but it’s too late to change the list.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

They’re all hard rock / metal. Otherwise they would have been wiped off the list. You can dispute that but it’s too late to change the list.

OK, so we are to assume that everything here is hard rock/metal, and just choose the albums we like the most?

• Like 1

Since this round two was started on Tues. night, it is early to say, but right now, if there is, and will be a round three, and reduced to fifteen, then it should be, and will look like this.  Twenty-eight to fifteen is a little less, than half, and eighty to twenty-eight is a lot over half. 

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Rush - Moving Pictures

Van Halen - Women and Children First

Rush - Permanent Waves

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

AC/DC - Back In Black

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of A Seventh Son

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Van Halen - Fair Warning

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Van Halen - 1984

Iron Maiden - the Number of the Beast

Edited by Derek19

3 hours ago, Derek19 said:

Since this round two was started on Tues. night, it is early to say, but right now, if there is, and will be a round three, and reduced to fifteen, then it should be, and will look like this.  Twenty-eight to fifteen is almost, and nearly half, but eighty to twenty-eight is over half. 

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Rush - Moving Pictures

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Van Halen - Women and Children First

Rush - Permanent Waves

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

AC/DC - Back In Black

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of A Seventh Son

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Van Halen - Fair Warning

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Van Halen - 1984

Iron Maiden - the Number of the Beast

I think I owned ten of these, and still own eight

• Like 2

Let's face it, they're all good. Well, I presume because I haven't heard much Triumph apart from the odd track which I mean to resolve. 

Having said that I find Priest a bit underwhelming but they seem to have a killer track here and there (Devil's eye, Revolution) and others that are just ok. I need to get more acquainted with their catalogue to be honest to get a better feel for them. Their rock-to-metal style has jumped around a bit though since their early days if I'm not mistaken so the albums can vary in 'rock' style sometimes. Listening to Sad Wings of Destiny is, for instance, a bit different than listening to Screaming for Vengeance. 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:40 AM, Malignant Narcissist said:

Let's face it, they're all good. Well, I presume because I haven't heard much Triumph apart from the odd track which I mean to resolve. 

Having said that I find Priest a bit underwhelming but they seem to have a killer track here and there (Devil's eye, Revolution) and others that are just ok. I need to get more acquainted with their catalogue to be honest to get a better feel for them. Their rock-to-metal style has jumped around a bit though since their early days if I'm not mistaken so the albums can vary in 'rock' style sometimes. Listening to Sad Wings of Destiny is, for instance, a bit different than listening to Screaming for Vengeance. 

What song from Triumph have you heard, and listened to?  You should try listening to them more.  I think they are a really good Canadian band, and group.  From Judas Priest, do you mean "Devil's Child", or "Electric Eye"?  Both songs are from "Screaming For Vengeance".  Judas Priest don't have a song called "Devil's Eye".  "Revolution" is from "Angel of Retribution".  Judas Priest has always been heavy metal.  They've had, and needed to change their sound, but stayed true to their heavy metal sound.

Edited by Derek19

On 10/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, Derek19 said:

What song from Triumph have you heard, and listened to?  You should try listening to more of them.  I think they are a really good Canadian band, and group.  From Judas Priest, do you mean "Devil's Child", or "Electric Eye"?  Both songs are from "Screaming For Vengeance".  Judas Priest don't have a song called "Devil's Eye".  "Revolution" is from "Angel of Retribution".  Judas Priest has always been heavy metal.  They've had to change their sound, but stayed true to their heavy metal sound.

I meant Devil's Child. 

OK I'm not overly familiar with many of Priest's albums but I did listen to Screaming... and Turbo a while back. I like Screaming but was underwhelmed by Turbo if I remember rightly. 

I've got Sad Wings recently but have only heard the odd song. Maybe it's the 70s production or the style of music at the time but I thought someone say they were more 'hard rock' and maybe a hint or prog in that album rather than full-on metal but hey, I haven't listened to it much so I'm happy to be corrected that they were metal from the outset.

I thought it was considered one of their better early ones too.

I may have heard Stained Glass too at some point and thought it ok but wasn't knocked out by it. 

I used to hear Breaking the Law everywhere during the 80s as the archetypal Priest song and I've never really liked it. Well, it's ok but but I that's the best I'll grant it. 

A friend at the time said I should hear it live (probably referring to Unleashed in the East which I haven't heard) instead. 

But many people have cited Priest as one of their favourites (Opeth's Michael Akerfeldt amongst others) so I need to give them a more in depth listen at some point.

As for Triumph, I don't know what song I heard but they sounded pretty good but it was only 1 song. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

I own 11, and first bought them within a month of their release.

I too owned 11 of these. Today I might listen to six or seven of them depending on my mood. 

I find the lack of Dokken and Winger from these rounds to be disturbing. Someone fix that! 

• Haha 1

Lot of bands I can think of that didn't make the cut (Slayer, Anthrax, Saxon, Exodus, Dokken, Whitesnake, Accept....Loudness(?!)...) but I can't really argue too strongly for replacing any of the bands and the albums here. For the most part, they are the biggies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

I too owned 11 of these. Today I might listen to six or seven of them depending on my mood. 

I find the lack of Dokken and Winger from these rounds to be disturbing. Someone fix that! 

No, please don't.  Your head will explode.

Tooth and Nail is a great album though.

16 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

No, please don't.  Your head will explode.

Tooth and Nail is a great album though.

I meant today figuratively, as in current times opposed to recent history. I’m in a coffee house jazz mood. 

35 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

I meant today figuratively, as in current times opposed to recent history. I’m in a coffee house jazz mood. 

I think if you listened to more than 1 of those in the same week, it would be harmful to you.  Try some Giuffria instead.