Stalker alert!

Lurkst

One of the worst side effects of social media is any human with naturally occurring attention whore tendencies has an outlet for their behavior.

Funny related story- a DJ that worked at one of our local radio stations in Northern California met Geddy during an interview and said he was a remarkably wonderful human being. Social media culture is eroding our concepts of how to have face to face interactions like normal people.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

One of the worst side effects of social media is any human with naturally occurring attention whore tendencies has an outlet for their behavior.

Funny related story- a DJ that worked at one of our local radio stations in Northern California met Geddy during an interview and said he was a remarkably wonderful human being. Social media culture is eroding our concepts of how to have face to face interactions like normal people.

Completely agreed. I mean, I wouldn't be able to talk to him without getting nervous, but taking a very close-up picture of the back of someone's head just to post it is just kinda weird to me. It's not harmful in any way, but I don't see why anyone would do it if it wasn't for attention lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamie said:

Completely agreed. I mean, I wouldn't be able to talk to him without getting nervous, but taking a very close-up picture of the back of someone's head just to post it is just kinda weird to me. It's not harmful in any way, but I don't see why anyone would do it if it wasn't for attention lol.

The social media age has caused tonsssss of problems that did not exist a scant three decades ago.

I don't blame people who go out of their way to reduce screen time, and people who pay for call screening. Humans were not meant to be tethered to machines.

• Like 1

Geez, some of you people are awful protective of a guy who doesn't know, nor care who the heck yo are. I get a weekly electronic newsletter from Maron and the reason he didn't talk to him was because he didn't feel comfortable doing so. He also saw Stuart Copeland in the Air Canada lounge and he didn't feel comfortable talking to him either. By the way, if you're in a public place, you are subjected to all manner of photos being taken. Some you know about and some you don't. Grow up.

6 minutes ago, Fordgalaxy said:

Geez, some of you people are awful protective of a guy who doesn't know, nor care who the heck yo are. I get a weekly electronic newsletter from Maron and the reason he didn't talk to him was because he didn't feel comfortable doing so. He also saw Stuart Copeland in the Air Canada lounge and he didn't feel comfortable talking to him either. By the way, if you're in a public place, you are subjected to all manner of photos being taken. Some you know about and some you don't. Grow up.

Oh we're just sharing thoughts and opinions. I grew up in a part of the States where it was not too strange to see TV personalities or famous people so we got used to just ignoring them. 

I dealt with a pretty well known celebrity recently and kept my distance because I could tell he wanted to be left alone. 

IIRC didn't Marc's girlfriend pass away recently due to natural causes? If so, how sad.

5 minutes ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Oh we're just sharing thoughts and opinions. I grew up in a part of the States where it was not too strange to see TV personalities or famous people so we got used to just ignoring them. 

I dealt with a pretty well known celebrity recently and kept my distance because I could tell he wanted to be left alone. 

IIRC didn't Marc's girlfriend pass away recently due to natural causes? If so, how sad.

Just over a year ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fordgalaxy said:

I don't know Marc Maron from a hole in the ground, but the Instagram post in this thread is gross and weird and full-on creepy.  He didn't feel comfortable talking to him, but he felt comfortable shoving a phone against his head and taking a picture?  That's a person with some f***ed up ideas about social norms.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

I don't know Marc Maron from a hole in the ground, but the Instagram post in this thread is gross and weird and full-on creepy.  He didn't feel comfortable talking to him, but he felt comfortable shoving a phone against his head and taking a picture?  That's a person with some f***ed up ideas about social norms.

Here's what Maron had to say about the situation. I find it odd that you don't know who he is because before that failed actor Rogan got so popular, he (Maron) had the most popular podcast on the airwaves and has some very famous people, including Obama, on his show.

While waiting to get on the plane at the gate I realized the guy in the hat was Geddy Lee of Rush. Now, I grew up with Rush. There was no way to avoid Rush in my teen years. I was not a Rush guy. I have said as much for years. Though after I watched the doc about them there was really no way for me to not, at the very least, respect them. True originals.

So, again. I was in an awkward position. I didn’t want to say anything to him because it would be disingenuous. I didn’t want to take a selfie because I don’t really do that. So, I just looked at him when I got on the plane and watched two flight attendants try to strap his bass into a seat. Yes, it has its own seat. We were both in first, as was the bass.

He was directly in front of me walking off the plane so I took a pic of the back of his head. After thinking about it hard and wondering if it was intrusive and wrong I decided it was funny and I posted it on IG with a somewhat snarky paragraph about it. I did give Mr. Lee the praise and respect he deserved. He responded in the comments! I shared a story with him about the time I worked for a caterer that catered the Rush show in Albuquerque in the late seventies. Alex requested a fan for his dressing room so my boss sent me a half hour away to his house to get him a fan. I resented the whole band since.

Geddy responded again and thanked me for Alex. It was all very funny.

Apparently Geddy had no issue with it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fordgalaxy said:

Here's what Maron had to say about the situation. I find it odd that you don't know who he is because before that failed actor Rogan got so popular, he (Maron) had the most popular podcast on the airwaves and has some very famous people, including Obama, on his show.

While waiting to get on the plane at the gate I realized the guy in the hat was Geddy Lee of Rush. Now, I grew up with Rush. There was no way to avoid Rush in my teen years. I was not a Rush guy. I have said as much for years. Though after I watched the doc about them there was really no way for me to not, at the very least, respect them. True originals.

So, again. I was in an awkward position. I didn’t want to say anything to him because it would be disingenuous. I didn’t want to take a selfie because I don’t really do that. So, I just looked at him when I got on the plane and watched two flight attendants try to strap his bass into a seat. Yes, it has its own seat. We were both in first, as was the bass.

He was directly in front of me walking off the plane so I took a pic of the back of his head. After thinking about it hard and wondering if it was intrusive and wrong I decided it was funny and I posted it on IG with a somewhat snarky paragraph about it. I did give Mr. Lee the praise and respect he deserved. He responded in the comments! I shared a story with him about the time I worked for a caterer that catered the Rush show in Albuquerque in the late seventies. Alex requested a fan for his dressing room so my boss sent me a half hour away to his house to get him a fan. I resented the whole band since.

Geddy responded again and thanked me for Alex. It was all very funny.

Apparently Geddy had no issue with it.

Well that's very magnanimous of Geddy.  Even with his explanation, it's still damn weird and it would have been enormously less weird to have just said hello like a normal human being.

And no, I don't know who he is, I've never heard his name before.  I try my best to avoid the bloviating horde of podcasters.

14 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

Well that's very magnanimous of Geddy.  Even with his explanation, it's still damn weird and it would have been enormously less weird to have just said hello like a normal human being.

And no, I don't know who he is, I've never heard his name before.  I try my best to avoid the bloviating horde of podcasters.

He generally interviews people from the entertainment industry. A couple of weeks ago he had Adrian Belew on, and last week he talked to Sigourney Weaver. Not trying to talk you into listening, but he's not part of the typical bloviating horde (excellent band name).

Over all a picture of the back of the head without permission, while not cool, rates as a very mild transgression of societal norms. I liked Maron's show and listened to a couple of his podcasts. One of which he had a bassists on maybe Flea or Rob Trujillio. Rush/Geddy were actually mentioned and Maron was disparaging Rush and they would have none of it. When it comes to music, Maron walks on the Jann Wenner side of the street. Takes all his cues from 60's/70's Rolling Stone magazine on what's hip/cool. So I like everything about Maron except maybe his views on Prog-rock. Big Zappa fan though so he has at least that going for him. 

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_650_-_steve_albini?rq=Steve Albini

around the 33 minute mark Steve Albini and Maron piss all over Rush

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_656_-_robert_trujillo_flea_aziz_ansari

@ 80:30 he tries to continue the mocking but Flea and Trujillo will have none of it

Edited by taurus

7 hours ago, taurus said:

Over all a picture of the back of the head without permission, while not cool, rates as a very mild transgression of societal norms. I liked Maron's show and listened to a couple of his podcasts. One of which he had a bassists on maybe Flea or Rob Trujillio. Rush/Geddy were actually mentioned and Maron was disparaging Rush and they would have none of it. When it comes to music, Maron walks on the Jann Wenner side of the street. Takes all his cues from 60's/70's Rolling Stone magazine on what's hip/cool. So I like everything about Maron except maybe his views on Prog-rock. Big Zappa fan though so he has at least that going for him. 

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_650_-_steve_albini?rq=Steve Albini

around the 33 minute mark Steve Albini and Maron piss all over Rush

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_656_-_robert_trujillo_flea_aziz_ansari

@ 80:30 he tries to continue the mocking but Flea and Trujillo will have none of it

Albini's an idiot here. For someone who's so open to music, to say this about Rush is just pathetic.'' Roundabout by Yes is essentially all that Rush have done''???WTF How blinkered can you be for some one working in the music industry, who's supposedly open to what's possible? I respect Albini and looked up to his approach and integrity. This has left me shocked and dismayed at his attitude to music, in this comment, questioning my respect.

• Like 1