Fates Warning anyone?

Rod in Toronto

I think a lot of people here might be fans of Fates Warning...Terry Brown produced a few of their albums in the mid-90's, and they're considered one of the forefathers of prog metal. Sadly, I think their recording career has ended, and if and when we hear of them again, it will be about touring.

Here's an interview I did recently with their guitarist and main songwriter, Jim Matheos: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-matheos-jim/

• Like 3

Got one of their albums, No Exit, a long time ago and was not bad but a bit uneven if my recollection is correct. Have tried a few tracks on spoty-thingy and impressed enough to start listening to them in anger. NB:- on LP so haven't had a system setup for a while to listen to it.

I think Mike Portnoy is mates with Jim Matheos (?) who is the main guy for FW right? So that gives it some prog cred but then again, MP is one of these guys who seems to know everyone in his corner of the music biz!

Edited by Malignant Narcissist

Love me some Fates Warning.   Great band.   Heavy prog goodness. 

I got to see them once, L'Amour Brooklyn back in the day.   Fond memories. 

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 2:29 AM, bathory said:

bit too obscure for most of the TRF poser brigade, but they had some great records any fan of rush or iron maiden would be able to appreciate

Poser brigade? 

I've been told by more than one person that if I love Dream Theater I would like Fates Warning, but aside from At Fates Hands/Fingers and one or two other songs, they do nothing for me. More a fan of Psychotic Waltz.

Great freaking band. Saw them in 2019 with Queensryche. Great show. 

They really are fantastic players and have several excellent albums.