Tweet as you would wish others to tweet about you

Bahamas

Neil included many church signs with expressions he found interesting, along his rides. I saw this one on Wednesday and it seemed very relevant.

Anybody see some interesting ones lately?

( I admit, I did not do a search for Church Signs Neil Liked. If there is a previous post, perhaps it could be merged?)

Which one? Is there a link I don't/can't see? Does this mean I'm not worthy of seeing it? Oh, no -- I think I'm having an existential crisis!

Oh, now I get it; the name of the thread is the sign's message! D'oh! Context clues, Nova; maybe I'm not worthy. 

Edited by Nova Carmina
reading is fundamental

It was only a simple thought as I cycled past a church. Nothing more.

And yes, Nova Carmina, I also do not get/understand a topic right away, it can take time.

So, have you seen any similar church signs lately? 

I think Neil was always looking between the lines, so to speak.

His was a challenging relationship with religion, no? By including church signs, he also was able to speak about his feelings during long rides - perhaps without being called on the spot?

Like, if somebody else says it, I can relate or share. But don't blame me for starting the discussion?

(Yikes, I am going to hit Submit Reply and hope I don't ruin the internet)

Edited by Bahamas
Said "seen" too many times, blame the wine not me.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bahamas said:

I think Neil was always looking between the lines, so to speak.

His was a challenging relationship with religion, no? By including church signs, he also was able to speak about his feelings during long rides - perhaps without being called on the spot?

Like, if somebody else says it, I can relate or share. But don't blame me for starting the discussion?

(Yikes, I am going to hit Submit Reply and hope I don't ruin the internet)

I think you're overcomplicating the matter.  Neil enjoyed the sometimes clever and witty, sometimes oblivious, sometimes insightful things people put on church signs, and I don't think there's more to it than that.  They amused him as a uniquely American kind of artform.  I don't think he intended any comment on the religion going on inside the doors by writing about them.

• Like 2

Are members, perhaps, guarded or hesitant to discuss Neil's writings? Yes, I saw some opinions in the past about the merits of his writings, but how about some new love?

We can agree or disagree that it's correct or not, but just talking about the writing would be nice.

Instead of this Forum section sitting static, besides wondering if there will be a final dedication date?

On 10/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, Bahamas said:

Are members, perhaps, guarded or hesitant to discuss Neil's writings? Yes, I saw some opinions in the past about the merits of his writings, but how about some new love?

We can agree or disagree that it's correct or not, but just talking about the writing would be nice.

Instead of this Forum section sitting static, besides wondering if there will be a final dedication date?

IMO my views on his writings are diverse.

I have come to see if you read between the lines of some of his books and essays, he's pretty shameless about himself. Bless his soul.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, Bahamas said:

Neil included many church signs with expressions he found interesting, along his rides. I saw this one on Wednesday and it seemed very relevant.

Anybody see some interesting ones lately?

( I admit, I did not do a search for Church Signs Neil Liked. If there is a previous post, perhaps it could be merged?)

This church sign is interesting to me for a few reason:

1. It seems simply to be restating the golden rule or the commandment to love your neighbors as you love yourself.

2. It also seems to be a restatement of the commandment not to judge others.

3. It seems to recognize the pernicious nature of social media and attempt to address this concern.

• Like 2