Responsible Comment Ethics

Nova Carmina

So on another board -- not this board, good lord, no -- I've just read something profoundly stupid and frankly a little mean and pointless (unless the "mean" is the point, I guess?).

Here's my question: commenting on the merits (of which there are none) of the post seems likely to be fruitless, but it's also just very, very badly written. Is it acceptable, therefore, to mock the post by pointing out the rampant misspellings, fragments, subject-verb agreement errors, comma and apostrophe lapses, etc, of its text? And in this way to undermine, dismiss, and nullify the post?  I know nobody goes on line for grammar perfection, but is it okay to use as a proxy for dinging the ethos of a post/er?

Edited by Nova Carmina

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

So on another board -- not this board, good lord, no -- I've just read something profoundly stupid and frankly a little mean and pointless (unless the "mean" is the point, I guess?).

Here's my question: commenting on the merits (of which there are none) of the post seems likely to be fruitless, but it's also just very, very badly written. Is it acceptable, therefore, to mock the post by pointing out the rampant misspellings, fragments, subject-verb agreement errors, comma and apostrophe lapses, etc, of its text? And in this way to undermine, dismiss, and nullify the post?  I know nobody goes on line for grammar perfection, but is it okay to use as a proxy for dinging the ethos of a post/er?

A post about a political subject, by chance?  Those seem to bring out intense scrutiny . . . .:facepalm:

I have seen people do that, I am on Nextdoor because my daughter is an animal shelter manager, lost pets, blah blah blah but because Pennsylvania is very purple politically it happens there.  On first glance, I am sometimes surprised by those types of poorly written posts; I'm thinking "You don't even read your own posts before you hit post?"   But in the end I'm not real comfortable with jumping on others; some people are going through a LOT these days. 

That being said, a really poorly written and spelled post is hardly a good representation for their point of view. :confused:

• Like 4

I feel very strongly about spelling correctly, using apostrophes in the correct way and generally taking care that my comment provides an easy experience for the reader (content notwithstanding). I even took care not to use the Oxford comma in that sentence. :wink:

I am also aware that my ADD brain will miss typing key words on regular occasions, I may lapse into the vernacular, misuse an apostrophe through carelessness and sometimes edit a sentence which then makes little sense. I try to avoid splitting infinitives, for example, but some may slip by. All these things are extremely annoying to me when I notice them. 

So, on balance, I want my own errors to be allowed and to strongly penalise the errors of others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

I feel very strongly about spelling correctly, using apostrophes in the correct way and generally taking care that my comment provides an easy experience for the reader (content notwithstanding). I even took care not to use the Oxford comma in that sentence. :wink:

I am also aware that my ADD brain will miss typing key words on regular occasions, I may lapse into the vernacular, misuse an apostrophe through carelessness and sometimes edit a sentence which then makes little sense. I try to avoid splitting infinitives, for example, but some may slip by. All these things are extremely annoying to me when I notice them. 

So, on balance, I want my own errors to be allowed and to strongly penalise the errors of others.

Your posts always sound very articulate and well written; just sayin'.     Now I feel like I will have to review my own more closely - :biggrin:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blueschica said:

A post about a political subject, by chance?  Those seem to bring out intense scrutiny . . . .:facepalm:

I have seen people do that, I am on Nextdoor because my daughter is an animal shelter manager, lost pets, blah blah blah but because Pennsylvania is very purple politically it happens there.  On first glance, I am sometimes surprised by those types of poorly written posts; I'm thinking "You don't even read your own posts before you hit post?"   But in the end I'm not real comfortable with jumping on others; some people are going through a LOT these days. 

That being said, a really poorly written and spelled post is hardly a good representation for their point of view. :confused:

It's actually not a political thing; it's a sports thing for one of the teams I follow. Yeah, I want to focus on that "your incompetence calls into question your point of view"!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

It's actually not a political thing; it's a sports thing for one of the teams I follow. Yeah, I want to focus on that "your incompetence calls into question your point of view"!

But it could be an illegal alien...or a public-school graduate...or me  :unsure:  ( I )

17 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

If it's the Cardinals, just hit the "Report to Yadi" button and he will make sure that guy comments the right way, in a manner befitting the BFIBs, in the future.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Haha 1

Posting stupidiity occurs everywhere.  Farcebook is especially rife with improper syntax, incorrect spellung, etc, a true confederacy of dunces. If the error is particularly blarant, or is made in an attempt to provide information I'll call it out, but usually I leave it be.  God knows I've been correctecd on a number of erronoeous posts throughout the net.

I think some people call it "grammar shaming."  I think you're better off critiquing the content.  At some point over the last several years, proper grammar has become an ideological issue - something about how our so-called "formal
English" derives from the rich merchant class of long-ago England, and so forcing it on people is discriminatory.  Where I teach, some of my colleagues think you should no longer use the term "error, " but refer to grammatical "differences."  Who needs clarity?  Ambiguity makes communication more like an adventure!

I'm certain I make my share of grammatical errors. Also, I'll occasionally come across one of my old posts that seems awkwardly worded, so I'm in no position to criticize.

The only thing that makes me cringe is when I see all right spelled alright

Of course if an error in spelling, grammar etc. is propagated then it might become the norm some time down the road (innit!). 

If people want to joke or bait others in fun about their posts then that's one thing. 

Unless one is trying to be a 'troll' or is completely taken over by ADD tendencies, I would have thought that most people want to connect with others and correcting others for minor things is not really in the spirit of connecting with others i.e. in a friendly manner. 

Although some sites do have a culture of accurately written and clear posts so they tend to encourage well written comments. 

But ultimately for me, it's about being clear. If something is unclear as to the meaning because of grammar usage or spelling then I would only comment to ask for clarity rather then to correct. Although how you comment can sometimes suggest you are being critical so a personal message to the person in question is sometimes safer. 

Unless it's to someone who criticised my Van Halen preferences and then all bets are off! 

14 hours ago, HomesickAlien said:

I'm certain I make my share of grammatical errors. Also, I'll occasionally come across one of my old posts that seems awkwardly worded, so I'm in no position to criticize.

The only thing that makes me cringe is when I see all right spelled alright

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

But ultimately for me, it's about being clear. If something is unclear as to the meaning because of grammar usage or spelling then I would only comment to ask for clarity rather then to correct. Although how you comment can sometimes suggest you are being critical so a personal message to the person in question is sometimes safer. 

I wish that idea was more prevalent in SOCN.  "Form over substance," and faux confusion are sadly all too common.

Notwithstanding, I knew of a sibling who's completely and utterly grammatically illiterate, uses no commas, no punctuation of any kind, and would fly off the handle with the kind of temper that could go from 0 to 60 in three seconds... just because I couldn't figure out wtf she was on about. The fact that she could quite literally take it the wrong way would be quite the understatement...  :blink::blink::blink:

2 hours ago, Babycat said:

Notwithstanding, I knew of a sibling who's completely and utterly grammatically illiterate, uses no commas, no punctuation of any kind, and would fly off the handle with the kind of temper that could go from 0 to 60 in three seconds... just because I couldn't figure out wtf she was on about. The fact that she could quite literally take it the wrong way would be quite the understatement...  :blink::blink::blink:

Is this generally or just in their online interactions? I don't really need to know per se but rather I just wondered if many people act/react differently online as opposed to in real life.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, toymaker said:

I think some people call it "grammar shaming."  I think you're better off critiquing the content.  At some point over the last several years, proper grammar has become an ideological issue - something about how our so-called "formal
English" derives from the rich merchant class of long-ago England, and so forcing it on people is discriminatory.  Where I teach, some of my colleagues think you should no longer use the term "error, " but refer to grammatical "differences."  Who needs clarity?  Ambiguity makes communication more like an adventure!

Boo! Terrible. Death to sensitivity, and long life to having expectations! Boo!

• Like 1

It is never ethical to mock any post or the person who made the post.  You can be give honest criticism of the post and how badly it's written without any mocking or taunting.

Sometimes, I've been a smartass and said, "I take it that English isn't your first language."  Ultimately, nothing good comes from mocking someone.         

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, toymaker said:

At some point over the last several years, proper grammar has become an ideological issue - something about how our so-called "formal English" derives from the rich merchant class of long-ago England, and so forcing it on people is discriminatory.  Where I teach, some of my colleagues think you should no longer use the term "error, " but refer to grammatical "differences."  Who needs clarity?  Ambiguity makes communication more like an adventure!

This reminds me of the "creative spelling" method that some educators have promoted. 

Rules of grammar and spelling exist for a logical reason.  Unsurprisingly, people have become more concerned about protecting their feelings than about logic.  Heaven forbid that you tell students that they're "wrong", that their writing is full of mistakes.  That would cause them much emotional harm.       

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Babycat said:

5 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Is this generally or just in their online interactions? I don't really need to know per se but rather I just wondered if many people act/react differently online as opposed to in real life.

Text messages mainly. I'd scratch my head thinking what the heck....? Then because I would then try to respond correctly, she's like *BOOM!* "What do you mean?! How do you mean?!" You had to think before you wrote anything, because whatever you put down in the text message, it was the wrong thing, and she would take it the wrong way. Every darn time. It was like a great big grenade - you never knew which pin you'd pull which would trigger her, or say a ton of sticks of dynamite, lighting them up, and not knowing which one of them had the shortest fuse. Even just saying something to her, it was wrong. I'd be thinking "F*ck me..!"

On 9/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, Nova Carmina said:

So is this from the Grammar Nazi forum?