Entre_Perpetuo

Choose one  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Artist

2. 2. Album

• Jeff Buckley - Grace
    • Nirvana - Nevermind
  3. 3. Biggest Song

• Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (written by Leonard Cohen)
    • Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
  4. 4. My personal favorite from each

• So Real - Jeff Buckley
    • In Bloom - Nirvana

3 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

'My personal fave from each' doesn't accept neither ticked. Isn't that the 'none' option? Or am I doing it wrong? 

Hm, not sure.

Jeff Buckley.  I love him AND his Father Tim.

and ddid i mention Nirvaa are the most overblown overhyped thing maybe ever in the history of things?

I even mis-spelled their name and out of complete disrespect i'm leaving it.

and i've had enough of they changed everything........maybe but they just slid in first.

:rantoff:

Mick

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

and ddid i mention Nirvaa are the most overblown overhyped thing maybe ever in the history of things?

and i've had enough of they changed everything........maybe but they just slid in first.

Mick

I often wonder if Alice In Chains didn't hit it big with Facelift a year before Nevermind, Ten and Badmotorfinger we're released if the grunge boom would have even happened? It was AIC who brought attention to what was happening in the Seattle music scene. They don't get the credit they deserve for being the ones who started the musical shift that occurred in the 90s.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I often wonder if Alice In Chains didn't hit it big with Facelift a year before Nevermind, Ten and Badmotorfinger we're released if the grunge boom would have even happened? It was AIC who brought attention to what was happening in the Seattle music scene. They don't get the credit they deserve for being the ones who started the musical shift that occurred in the 90s.

YES!!!!! and no one remembers that!!!!! ugh......AIC had the far better singer too.  who wasn't writing middle school level prose.

RAPE ME!!! (repeat 87,000 times till end of song)

Nirvana sucks.

lol.

NMick

• Haha 1

Nirvana good but ultimately overrated. Got lucky with the exposure of 'Smells...'. Never would have had Grohl's Foo Fighters without their success though...probably.

Jeff Buckley - lauded but only by those in the know, until Hallejuah became a hit later on. Great voice and not a bad guitar player too. Covers more styles in his debut/main album than most bands/artists dream of - classical, folk, rock, blues/jazz(sort of). 

2 great albums and artists but Jeff Buckley produced one of my favourite albums of all time and a more 'classy' artist imo.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Pearl Jam are better 😂

Edited by Segue Myles

10 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

As for me and my house, I shall choose Nirvana. I like rock music.

What’s not rock about Jeff Buckley?

or is the implication just that Nirvana rocks harder? I do get that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

What’s not rock about Jeff Buckley?

or is the implication just that Nirvana rocks harder? I do get that.

I find Jeff so ethereal, he exists on a different plane to most rock artists.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

They weren't even the first on major or indie labels.  Soundgarden were the first with Ultramega OK in 1988.  I'm old enough to remember when Pearl Jam were more popular before Cobain died when Vs. came out.  Getting the whole thing started in mainstream doesn't make you better.  Just look at punk and Sex Pistols.  KC is also my least favorite of the guitarists of the big 4 of Seattle but rock journalists always list him higher than the rest just because he died young and all that mythology and legend crap.

Dave Grohl on drums and as a person is awesome, though.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

They weren't even the first on major or indie labels.  Soundgarden were the first with Ultramega OK in 1988.  I'm old enough to remember when Pearl Jam were more popular before Cobain died when Vs. came out.  Getting the whole thing started in mainstream doesn't make you better.  Just look at punk and Sex Pistols.  KC is also my least favorite of the guitarists of the big 4 of Seattle but rock journalists always list him higher than the rest just because he died young and all that mythology and legend crap.

Dave Grohl on drums and as a person is awesome, though.

Dave's drumming is the best thing about them IMO.

Kurt was so mediocre in so many ways musically i can't eve begin.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Tough matchup on this board.  Many posters say they were drawn to Rush because of their "prog," sensibilities.  If you love early Genesis and Close to the Edge, you're probably not going to be into Nirvana.

I love all of them.

but I would take Supper’s Ready and Roundabout in a heartbeat over any Nirvana song.

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I find Jeff so ethereal, he exists on a different plane to most rock artists.

True. Just the intro to Mojo Pin says it all.

Wow I forgot how much people don't like Nirvana around here, lol.

I have to say, Nirvana has really grown on me with time. Yeah, they weren't the first ones to get signed, nor the first to have a hit, nor really the most popular while they were around, nor was Cobain the best singer or the best guitarist, nor were the songs as heavy lyrically or musically as AiC or Soundgarden... but, accepting all of that as fact, and putting aside the whole martyr effect... Nevermind and In Utero are fantastic records. Bleach is really good as well. The band is super tight and the arrangements on Nevermind especially are incredibly fine tuned. But even with all that fine tuning what's incredible is it still sounds like a wild and dangerous band laying down the tracks. Butch Vig did wonders to retain the intensity and chaos while making the whole thing sparkle. And then Steve Albini just did his usual thing and the band sound so great on their own that it still sounds fantastic.  Plus, and I don't care about critiques of R*** Me, Kurt was a really evocative lyricist.  I think a lot of us Rush fans tend to be more captivated by stuff in the Neil Peart school of lyric writing, and to be fair, I am too.  But I'm also fascinated by lyrics like Kurts, which are sometimes quite simple and plainspoken, and other times filled with bizarre imagery, allusions, and metaphors, but always feel perfect for the melody and chords they're attached to.  One of the lesser talked about challenges of songwriting, but perhaps one of the most important ones, is writing lyrics that are not only effective as words, but effective as music, and setting them to the melody that they fit in best.  Kurt was a master of this, and I think that's the real genius behind a lot of his work and a big part of why people revere him so much. It's the same reason why Weird Al's craft isn't as easy as it seems, or else there'd be way more of him.  There are a lot of words that could fit any given melody, and vice versa, but finding the right pairing takes a lot of talent, practice, and luck.  

None of that is to say I prefer Nirvana to Jeff Buckley personally. As you can see I voted straight ticket Jeff, but I do feel this thread was too light on Nirvana appreciation and wanted to show I did make this poll in good faith and not just as a Kurt Cobain punching bag.

• Like 1

Everyone saying "Nirvana were not that talented, Kurt wasn't the best anything".

Amazingly talented and prolific musicians aren't guaranteed the ability to write great songs.

Nirvana have some of the most popular and beloved songs ever written, that really strike a chord with music listeners.

I can think of a million amazingly talented bands who for me lack one song that connects to my heart the way Dumb or Pennyroyal Tea does. And for pure rock exuberance, nothing hits quite like Smells Like Teen Spirit.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Everyone saying "Nirvana were not that talented, Kurt wasn't the best anything".

Amazingly talented and prolific musicians aren't guaranteed the ability to write great songs.

Nirvana have some of the most popular and beloved songs ever written, that really strike a chord with music listeners.

I can think of a million amazingly talented bands who for me lack one song that connects to my heart the way Dumb or Pennyroyal Tea does. And for pure rock exuberance, nothing hits quite like Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Pennyroyal Tea is fantastic. It’s a real songwriter’s kind of song. The subtle changes to the lyrics as the form loops back over itself to reveal more of the scenario is amazing. And I think Green Day have been trying to write their own Dumb since Dookie. Plus you’re totally right about Teen Spirit. That riff is exhilarating. The opening drum fill is so satisfying too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Pennyroyal Tea is fantastic. It’s a real songwriter’s kind of song. The subtle changes to the lyrics as the form loops back over itself to reveal more of the scenario is amazing. And I think Green Day have been trying to write their own Dumb since Dookie. Plus you’re totally right about Teen Spirit. That riff is exhilarating. The opening drum fill is so satisfying too.

Exactly. I tire of the same boring criticisms of Kurt and the boys. Nirvana to me are like The Beatles, a group that are more than the sum of their parts.

• Like 2