2112 from Hemis 40th Anni CD 1978 Arizona show

jnoble

I listen to this today possibly for the first time and I noticed... I don't know if anyone else has... that the key of the song is a half step slower than the proper key 2112 was played in like they pressed on the CD at the wrong speed.  It appears to be the same performance on the Hemis tour bootleg 'Black Forest' I have that separately and it doesn't sound that way. 

On a slightly similar note I can't hear Geddy's rhythm guitar playing whatsoever on the passage to Bangkok from the Pink Pop Festival show during the guitar solo. It's like they didn't mic his amp or something when he was playing his double neck and switched to the six string guitar. You can hear him playing though at the end of Xanadu

Edited by jnoble

OK, first up, I'm 99% sure the "previously unreleased performance of “2112” from Tucson, Arizona 1978" as the Rush website says is NOT from Tucson, but rather sounds like the exact recording from the 5/28/79 show in Offenbach (near Frankfurt). 

Ian Grandy recorded that show in Offenbach.

And yes the speed of the song is TOO SLOW on the 40th anniv release. Very noticeable. Really a shame that they can't the the show location or speed right.

Reminds me of the 2112 40th anniv: "recently-rediscovered live version of the album track “The Twilight Zone,”  which plays EXTREMELY fast. I haven't measured it but Geddy sounds like a chipmunk. 

It's an abomination and I can't believe that got through quality control.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, currygoat11 said:

OK, first up, I'm 99% sure the "previously unreleased performance of “2112” from Tucson, Arizona 1978" as the Rush website says is NOT from Tucson, but rather sounds like the exact recording from the 5/28/79 show in Offenbach (near Frankfurt). 

And yes the speed of the song is TOO SLOW on the 40th anniv release. Very noticeable. Really a shame that they can't the the show location or speed right.

Reminds me of the 2112 40th anniv: "recently-rediscovered live version of the album track “The Twilight Zone,”  which plays EXTREMELY fast. I haven't measured it but Geddy sounds like a chipmunk. 

Exactly. That 2112 was absolutely from the Germany performance even with the odd skipping in the introduction whooshing sounds which I thought was a defect on my CD but apparently it was on the source material tape. And yes I don't know why they didn't pitch correct that Twilight Zone bootleg either. It's not like they didn't have the capability to do so. 

On 9/11/2022 at 12:01 AM, currygoat11 said:

That performance of "The Twilight Zone." came from a bootleg of which there are better recordings out there.  Bothers me more that an inferior version was used as it was not the best one.

Edited by ytserush
correction
  • Like 1