Happy 40th Birthday - Signals

Maverick

Great album, even if it took me some time to warm up to it. For years, I maintained that the greatest change in Rush's music was the transition from Moving Pictures to Signals, and Signals suffered in comparison. But today, "The Weapon," "Analog Kid," "Losing It," and "New World Man" -- even "Countdown"! -- are among my favorite tracks.

As for the 40th anniversary release, I'm still on record as believing it will remain a fan's fever dream, despite the release of some expensive sweatshirts!

• Like 5

Ah go on.... you know you want to! ...... a 40th Anniversary edition.... complete with a full show from the tour .... Ah go on go on go on go on go on!!

Go On Father Ted GIF - Go On Father Ted Mrs Doyle - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

Great album, even if it took me some time to warm up to it. For years, I maintained that the greatest change in Rush's music was the transition from Moving Pictures to Signals, and Signals suffered in comparison. But today, "The Weapon," "Analog Kid," "Losing It," and "New World Man" -- even "Countdown"! -- are among my favorite tracks.

As for the 40th anniversary release, I'm still on record as believing it will remain a fan's fever dream, despite the release of some expensive sweatshirts!

I have similar feelings.  It was the beginning of a 5 album slide, but it is still very good and I’ve grown to love most of it.  

I went many years without listening to Rush.

When I came back to the fold, it was most of Signals that stood out. Especially "The Weapon", with that amazing guitar solo from space, but other tunes too. (I'd never forgotten about Subdivisions.)

I love love love the sound of this record. I know Alex argued about the mix, but I think the integration of keys with guitar is superb. And Neil's patterns are unrivaled -- he plays better here than he does on MP,. 

• Like 10

Signals is one of the top 2 Rush albums for me. It's excellent.

By the way, I'd like to see a Dalmatian emoji on TRF.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Turbine Freight said:

Their last great album, it's the cut off point for me. Superb record.

I'd go one album further and say Grace Under Pressure.  There is an amazing cohesion to that album.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, zepphead said:

Ah go on.... you know you want to! ...... a 40th Anniversary edition.... complete with a full show from the tour .... Ah go on go on go on go on go on!!

Go On Father Ted GIF - Go On Father Ted Mrs Doyle - Discover & Share GIFs

I would be ECSTATIC if this happened. Given that a full show from one night has yet to appear on any of these releases, I won't hold my breath.

A soundboard from this tour from a date that doesn't circulate would be the best. I will believe it when I see it.

I DO wonder if they have something from the La Crosse date, since the touring history book references banter from the show.

• Like 1

I love this record now but yeah, on the heels of MP, it was a let down. Me and some friends listened to the radio special CHUM would do with a new Rush release. Geddy in the studio, playing the new album track by track and giving us a little background on the recording and each song. After the hour was over, we all were just a little quiet almost like coming back from a Leaf game where we just lost and played like crap. Felt a bit the same way when I went to see the tour - I mean a truncated La Villa/Xanadu medley  and messin' with The Temple of Syrinx lyrics "Plumbers? Pipes? WTF?!? Didn't buy any t-shirts or programs - I was bummed. 

I chuckle at my teenage self now but back then - serious business. Didn't realize it then but they clued us into of what was to come. Vital Signs was the perfect segue into Signals, That song would fit perfectly on that record.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, 78jazz said:

I would be ECSTATIC if this happened. Given that a full show from one night has yet to appear on any of these releases, I won't hold my breath.

A soundboard from this tour from a date that doesn't circulate would be the best. I will believe it when I see it.

I DO wonder if they have something from the La Crosse date, since the touring history book references banter from the show.

We have to dream big!

6 hours ago, taurus said:

I love this record now but yeah, on the heels of MP, it was a let down. Me and some friends listened to the radio special CHUM would do with a new Rush release. Geddy in the studio, playing the new album track by track and giving us a little background on the recording and each song. After the hour was over, we all were just a little quiet almost like coming back from a Leaf game where we just lost and played like crap. Felt a bit the same way when I went to see the tour - I mean a truncated La Villa/Xanadu medley  and messin' with The Temple of Syrinx lyrics "Plumbers? Pipes? WTF?!? Didn't buy any t-shirts or programs - I was bummed. 

I chuckle at my teenage self now but back then - serious business. Didn't realize it then but they clued us into of what was to come. Vital Signs was the perfect segue into Signals, That song would fit perfectly on that record.

I feel the same exact way about Vital Signs.  It could have appeared on Signals and been right at home alongside New World Man and Digital Man.

Whether it was intentional or not, it was the perfect segue from Moving Pictures to Signals, and even Grace Under Pressure.

It had the heaviness of Moving Pictures.

It had the Reggae/Police feel  of Signals.

It was dark and ominous like Grace Under Pressure.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'd go one album further and say Grace Under Pressure.  There is an amazing cohesion to that album.

For me , it’s plus one again LOL … as I really rate ️ Power Windows

( ‘76-85 being Peak Rush for me )

• Like 2

A late comer to the party. I got introduced to Rush through  a friend loaning me 2112 and Signals. I liked Signals but 16 year old me thouth 2112 was insane good. Signa 'll s has caught up with me a few years ago and has a place with me.

• Like 2

Top 4 Rush album. Loved it instantly. It was also my first Rush release that I waited for with baited breath being that MP was my introduction to Rush. 

From the moment I dropped he needle......I was in heaven. 

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Fantastic album.

I get that fans who like the more guitar heavy or deeper edge to their music would not like it and even though I am not a big synth guy, I think the album is really, really great.

Like all their albums, there are songs that take a turn or perhaps I don't like, but I think Signals is a top 5. 

Song analysis?

Subdivisions - the video and song resonated with, like, a million youth across the world.

The Analog Kid - smart writing and literally one of my youth anthems (in other writings Neil wrote about the "fawned-eyed girl with sun-browned legs". Were we not all young and shy?

Chemistry - there is not a metronome anywhere that could keep up to that timing!

The Weapon is Part II of Fear. There are only four parts of Fear - The first is in Grace Under Pressure (The Enemy Within); The second being The Weapon (here); The third in Moving Pictures (Witch Hunt); and, Four in Vapor Trails (Freeze). So that should elevate the album, a bit more? It's part of the "lore" of RUSH.

New World Man - yup, like synth or not, it's super catchy and fun to play loud. I just wish it was a bit shorter at the end.

Losing It - perhaps more lyrically than musically appreciated, it's a hard truth of ageing. Simple idea, brilliant "visuals" (in my opinion). Do we need to get into the whole electric violin and how Mr. Mink influenced a young boy to take up the instrument and become a great musician? How they actually played together during the R40 Tour?

Countdown - Yes they were able to witness the Columbia launch from a VIP gallery (race back and forth to a concert and a re-scheduled launch) but everybody should know that the song "was used as a wake-up song for the astronauts during STS-109 (27 flights using Columbia) including the last flight in 2002" (Wiki) - so, that should be a big reason to appreciate a part of the album that perhaps is not one's preferred RUSH sound?

So yes Happy 40th Signals :cake1:

Like it or not, it is a huge part of the band and one I can go a long time without playing, but then it comes to mind and I just want to crank it up big time!

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 4:09 PM, Maverick said:

I know it's a Signals discussion, yes GUP was very sync'd and cohesive but it deviated so far from the deeper RUSH sounds that I owned but didn't often play it.

Tinny, upper range of sound, challenging to get a feel for RUSH. The lyrics, yes. The bass, guitar, drums as instruments all fantastic. But the sound was hard to include in a "mixed tape".

The "highest" range of any other album, for me.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Sun & Moon said:

Signals is one of the top 2 Rush albums for me. It's excellent.

By the way, I'd like to see a Dalmatian emoji on TRF.

Brilliant!

Somebody posts a topic or replies to somebody else and the response includes the dalmatian-beside-a-fire-hydrant emoji. 

Then, maybe, there could be the "is it peeing on the hydrant" emoji or, is it "snooping around" undecided?

Nice idea, a dalmatian emoji. Actually amazing there isn't one.

I hope you checked? I am now...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bahamas said:

I know it's a Signals discussion, yes GUP was very sync'd and cohesive but it deviated so far from the deeper RUSH sounds that I owned but didn't often play it.

Tinny, upper range of sound, challenging to get a feel for RUSH. The lyrics, yes. The bass, guitar, drums as instruments all fantastic. But the sound was hard to include in a "mixed tape".

The "highest" range of any other album, for me.

This is why GuP sounded so bad to me, in the 90s, when grunge ruled the airwaves. My ears were accustomed to heavy Seattle-style recording, with that sludgy bottom end, and huge walls of midrange guitars.

When I stopped listening to that type of music, GuP grew a little better. 

On 10/10/2022 at 5:44 AM, Bahamas said:

Brilliant!

Somebody posts a topic or replies to somebody else and the response includes the dalmatian-beside-a-fire-hydrant emoji. 

Then, maybe, there could be the "is it peeing on the hydrant" emoji or, is it "snooping around" undecided?

Nice idea, a dalmatian emoji. Actually amazing there isn't one.

I hope you checked? I am now...

Many other animals are presented in the emoji list, but no dogs. Indeed, the dalmatian would raise a few questions about how to interpret the meaning, but that's the nature of emojis (especially those on TRF and other forums using the same platform). But we could really have use for a dalmatian! :thumbsup:

I first heard Rush when my mom got me 2112 back in 1981. I knew nothing about them, i just liked the cover art and song titles. Signals was the first new album that came out where I was a full on fan.

I got it on LP at my local Safeway grocery store back when they used to have a section for records and tapes.

By then I was hooked and Signals is still one of my go to albums. In my old age i consider it a companion piece to Moving Pictures. The blend of the 3 piece rock with the new technology was perfectly balanced. Neil's drumming on Signals is among his best work. Everyone is in peak form. 

I'm ready for some 40th anniversary love myself.

• Like 3