Is Neil Peart your favorite drummer?

Slime

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart your favorite drummer?

• Yes, he is absolutely #1, the undisputed and uncontested dominating drummer!
    • Neil is my #1, but some others are close!
    • Sometimes #1, depending on my mood - the fight for top spot never ends!
    • He's in my top 5 for sure
    • He might be a top 10 for me
    • Not even a top 10

Neil is #1, but I didn't get into Rush until my late 30's.  Before then it would have been a 3 way tie:

Carl Palmer (ELP) Bill Bruford (Yes/KC) & Phil Collins (esp. his work with Brand X).

• Like 4

Neil's #1 easy. Everyone else--literally everyone else, I don't care how skilled, what genre, how prolific, how unique--is only fighting for 2nd place.

But here are some of those #2 contenders:

Phil Collins

Etienne Bowler

Mike Portnoy

Mike Mangini

Roger Taylor

Dominic Howard

Charlie Benante

Bill Ward

Bill Bruford

Taylor Hawkins :rose:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Neil is my favorite drummer. Geddy also tops my list for bass players.

Alex comes close to the top but he's facing a much larger field. 

Alex is my number one but he's the only one who's tied with someone else on their respective instrument (Brian May). I generally agree with this though. It took me a long while to realize Alex was really deserving of my #1 spot, because there is such a massive field of incredible guitarists to sort through.

In an episode of the US comedy Mike and Molly (with Melissa McCarthy and Billy Gardell), Molly hears Mike listening to some Rush (Tom Sawyer I think) in his room and says something about the drummer sounds good or she'd date the drummer or whatever. 

Based on the comments on the drumming, my wife told me she quite liked 'that Rush song on Mike and Molly because of the fancy drumming...'.

So if Neil P's drum fills can convert my wife to Rush then he's won hands down...or hands on drum sticks or whatever.

It's funny because as a non-drummer, I don't really know what determines a good drummer per se. I hear the Mastodon drummer's (Brann Drailor) drum fills and it seems amazing to me. Same for some of the Opeth drumming. Same for some of MIke Portnoy's drumming. 

Same for some of Gavin Harrison's drum fills in Porcupine Tree. Same for all the umpteen drummers in metal, jazz and prog rock out there. 

But I think there's probably so much to consider if someone's good technically (drum fills, complex time signature, polyrythms, control of the where the emphasis on the beat is..) or has good 'feel' or whatever you want to call it that all you can do, unless you're a drum student or analyst, is go for what sounds good. 

And at the very least, on especially the 1st half of Rush's catalogue, Neil P sounds damn good to me!

• Like 1

Earl Palmer is #1.

Clyde Stubblefield, Ziggy Modeliste, Bonzo, Art Blakey, Jo Jones, just to name a few others I like. There are a lot of great drummers out there like Abe Laboriel Jr. and Stanley Randolph as well.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:53 AM, Slime said:

Here we go again!

Key distinction yet again! - "favorite", not necessarily "the best"

What say you??

Key - "favorite".

Yes, absolutely. 

Neil is always going to be top 5 because he's a great drummer who was the drummer for my favourite band at a totally formative age.   I have gone through phases where other players, most of whom still reside in my top 5 or 10, have been more favoured because I'm so into them in the moment.  When I really got into 70's Genesis, Phil took that #1 place for some time.  I had a period where Tony Williams was my #1, and all I could do was listen to the Miles Davis Quintet over and over and over.  Simon Phillips, through his work with Townshend and then the Who, eclipsed everyone for a chunk of time.  But Neil is always there...he got in so deep, and was so interesting in the way that he progressed - particularly his move from prog rock 70s guy to embracing 80s-style drum patterns guy - that he's always going to have a special spot.  He gets knocked out of #1 for me...but he often finds his way back to the tip of the list.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:28 AM, NoahLutz said:

Meg White is easily my #1.  Perhaps if Neil had more time to work with Gruber he could have mastered the feel and technical skill that seems to come so naturally to her.  

@goose I’m glad someone finally found my joke funny!

• Like 1