The Best CD Release of Each Studio Album

NoahLutz

There have been a ton of re-releases, gold discs, remasters, box sets, etc for a lot of the Rush albums.  Like many here, I’m sure, I’ve bought more than I need.  But, in your opinion, which are the best CD releases for each of the Rush studio albums?

Generally, I gravitate to the newer releases for the albums, but most of the time I can’t hear a difference (other than loudness) unless someone points it out.  Obviously, the remixed version of Vapor Trails is a huge departure (and IMHO a far better version) from the original.  I know a lot of people don’t like them, but I love the 5.1 mixes from the Sectors Box Sets, and particularly love listening to and watching the 2112 5.1 disc.  But for most of the rest, I don’t have a strong opinion.  

On 9/6/2022 at 4:01 AM, NoahLutz said:

Generally, I gravitate to the newer releases for the albums, but most of the time I can’t hear a difference (other than loudness) unless someone points it out.  Obviously, the remixed version of Vapor Trails is a huge departure (and IMHO a far better version) from the original.  I know a lot of people don’t like them, but I love the 5.1 mixes from the Sectors Box Sets, and particularly love listening to and watching the 2112 5.1 disc.  But for most of the rest, I don’t have a strong opinion.  

The "loudness" is key, and I'm finding that the more recent stereo remasters are loud to the point of clipping, where you hear static over the speakers during the more energetic parts of songs. I get that nowadays they master music more for earbuds and phones rather than high-end home audio gear, but can't the clipping be avoided?

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 3:57 AM, NoahLutz said:

There have been a ton of re-releases, gold discs, remasters, box sets, etc for a lot of the Rush albums.  Like many here, I’m sure, I’ve bought more than I need.  But, in your opinion, which are the best CD releases for each of the Rush studio albums?

Generally, Sean Magee's 2015 remasters are excellent. Only a couple albums are actually available on CD, though. You have to go the digital download route for most.

If you want to get more in depth and put some effort into finding the absolute best version of each album, some of them do have even better masters. The Audio Fidelity gold disc versions of Presto, RTB and CP are definitive. The MFSL gold disc of Signals is also excellent, as long as you don't mind the missing vocals in The Weapon. People seem to have mixed opinions of the MFSL 2112 and MP. Some like them, some don't. The MFSL PeW is bad, stay away from it.

Beyond that, the original masters are pretty good as well, probably about as good as Magee's versions. The only ones to categorically avoid are the '97 Rush Remasters series, they're terrible.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:49 PM, Rush Didact said:

Generally, Sean Magee's 2015 remasters are excellent. Only a couple albums are actually available on CD, though. You have to go the digital download route for most.

If you want to get more in depth and put some effort into finding the absolute best version of each album, some of them do have even better masters. The Audio Fidelity gold disc versions of Presto, RTB and CP are definitive. The MFSL gold disc of Signals is also excellent, as long as you don't mind the missing vocals in The Weapon. People seem to have mixed opinions of the MFSL 2112 and MP. Some like them, some don't. The MFSL PeW is bad, stay away from it.

Beyond that, the original masters are pretty good as well, probably about as good as Magee's versions. The only ones to categorically avoid are the '97 Rush Remasters series, they're terrible.

Mostly agree with this. Still haven't made up my mind about the Mobile Fidelity Permanent Waves of The Audio Fidelity Hemispheres. Something seems "off" but I don't know what.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ytserush said:

Mostly agree with this. Still haven't made up my mind about the Mobile Fidelity Permanent Waves of The Audio Fidelity Hemispheres. Something seems "off" but I don't know what.

I had the exact same reaction to PeW - something is wrong, but I don't know WHAT.  It bothers me.

I completely forgot there was an AF remaster of Hemispheres as well.  I don't listen to that album as often, so I don't have strong opinions about it.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:14 PM, Rush Didact said:

I had the exact same reaction to PeW - something is wrong, but I don't know WHAT.  It bothers me.

I completely forgot there was an AF remaster of Hemispheres as well.  I don't listen to that album as often, so I don't have strong opinions about it.

It may be the brightness on the Mobile Fidelity. It's a bright and crisp album to begin with. Thay may have been taken too far on the Mobile Fidelity CD (Can't speak to the vinyl. Decided not to open it.) Allegedly, the original masters had already been close to degradation at the point so perhaps that may have had something to do with it.