Favorite Bands With Flawed Discographies

Mr. Not

On 9/5/2022 at 5:53 AM, Mr. Not said:

for me a pretty obvious one (at least i think so) is Yes

Yes speaks for itself i think, sharp decline after 90125, i hardly bother listening to anything after that album other than Union and Magnification (which are okay), but then when we enter the 21st century the band literally (RIP) and figuratively dies. At this point i'm surprised they're still going, and will probably never listen to The Quest or anything else they put out from now on.

^^^This.  Haven't listened to anything after 90125.  Absolutely in the camp of "No Jon Anderson, it's not Yes".

• Like 2

For me the answers are ready.

Iron Maiden- the Blaze albums are bad.

Not unlistenable like I used to think, I have listened again and there are some great musical moments. But his voice didn't fit, and I never listen to them. Clansman is great though, even with Blaze.

Metallica- just terrible ideas sometimes when they try to either be "with it" or artsy.

Queen- big 80's slump 

Not too many bands fit this question for me. If I love the band I like most albums, and if I hate some albums then generally I don't really love any of the albums.

But Metallica and Maiden fit.

Ozzy's solo catalog, after No More Tears, is spotty.

Black Sabbath after Mob Rules (except Dehumanizer) is mediocre.   The Devil You Know and 13 are better, but by then the Dio and Ozzy eras were well past their primes.

Aerosmith after Pump is OK to skip.

I hate to say it, but the delta between my favorite Rush albums and my least favorite Rush albums is probably the greatest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Ozzy's solo catalog, after No More Tears, is spotty.

Black Sabbath after Mob Rules (except Dehumanizer) is mediocre.   The Devil You Know and 13 are better, but by then the Dio and Ozzy eras were well past their primes.

Aerosmith after Pump is OK to skip.

I hate to say it, but the delta between my favorite Rush albums and my least favorite Rush albums is probably the greatest.

It`s a tough call with Sabbath, as the inclusion of different singers throws VH right into the centre of the ring, right? 

If there`s bigger contrast than Fair Warning to VHIII then I don`t want to hear it. 

5 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

It`s a tough call with Sabbath, as the inclusion of different singers throws VH right into the centre of the ring, right? 

If there`s bigger contrast than Fair Warning to VHIII then I don`t want to hear it. 

VH3 is actually better than a number of Rush albums.  And the Van Hagar albums are all great, they're just not as good as the DLR albums.

36 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

VH3 is actually better than a number of Rush albums.  And the Van Hagar albums are all great, they're just not as good as the DLR albums.

I`m not rushing to put Balance on anytime soon. Might ahead of AFTK though :wink:

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, NoahLutz said:

Pearl Jam.  Binaural started a string of albums that I simply don’t want to listen to.

I actually stopped listening after Yield and got back into them when avocado came out.  I was way into my post punk and new wave phase during my early college years to care about grunge of yore anymore and I wasn't having it with the Bizkit butt rock that was popular.

Lightning Bolt was rather spotty at times, though.  The ballads like Future Days were too sappy for me compared to the stripped down Neil Young style grit of gems like Off He Goes and Low Light.

10 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

I actually stopped listening after Yield and got back into them when avocado came out.  I was way into my post punk and new wave phase during my early college years to care about grunge of yore anymore and I wasn't having it with the Bizkit butt rock that was popular.

Lightning Bolt was rather spotty at times, though.  The ballads like Future Days were too sappy for me compared to the stripped down Neil Young style grit of gems like Off He Goes and Low Light.

I feel like the only person who enjoys all their albums, EXCEPT THAT LATEST ONE

12 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

I really liked Lightning Bolt when it came out. I was like 14 at the time, so odds are I still really like it now if only for nostalgia. But I haven’t listened to it in ages.

Sirens was a fantastic song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i can't believe i forgot Pearl Jam.

i love the first 3 than it just get's messy quickly.

Mick

Honestly there's a small part of me that only loves the first one and an occasional song or two afterwards, lol.  They backed down from the sound that broke them into the mainstream faster than Radiohead.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Honestly there's a small part of me that only loves the first one and an occasional song or two afterwards, lol.  They backed down from the sound that broke them into the mainstream faster than Radiohead.

As someone who adores PJ...they never came close to topping that debut. And they have a great discography (sorry for those who feel differently)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

As someone who adores PJ...they never came close to topping that debut. And they have a great discography (sorry for those who feel differently)

Yeah that’s just the thing. It’s not that I don’t have love for what came later, but Ten casts an impossibly tall shadow. I’ll give them this though, as for bands who are ever in the shadow of a stellar debut, I think they’ve made better follow ups than Boston or Guns N Roses ever did, for instance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah that’s just the thing. It’s not that I don’t have love for what came later, but Ten casts an impossibly tall shadow. I’ll give them this though, as for bands who are ever in the shadow of a stellar debut, I think they’ve made better follow ups than Boston or Guns N Roses ever did, for instance.

For me, personally, I prefer Ten to almost all other debuts. Ten and the debut Third Eye Blind are my favourites in rock music.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

Riot Act was spotty for me, but it still has great parts.  Yield was a return to form.  After that, nothing has been an album that I’ll listen to from start to finish, but Lightning Bolt comes closest for me.  

42 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

and honestly very cool move. to not make Ten 12 more times.  cause that woud have been easy to do.  i just think they got very middle of the road.

Mick

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

For me, personally, I prefer Ten to almost all other debuts. Ten and the debut Third Eye Blind are my favourites in rock music.

Guns N’ Roses, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin all had amazing debuts.  Hendrix, The Cars, The Doors, Wu-Tang, NWA, The Beasties, The Counting Crows and Oasis all had classic debuts, too.  Third Eye Blind was a great and deep album, and the band never made another album that was even ok.  Matchbox 20 is similar in that regard.  I’ll put Alanis Morrissette in that category as well.  

9 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

and honestly very cool move. to not make Ten 12 more times.  cause that woud have been easy to do.  i just think they got very middle of the road.

Mick

I love that album…it’s amazing that Yellow Ledbetter and Breath and a Scream didn’t make the album and are two of their best songs.  But I listen to Temple of the Dog more than Ten nowadays.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NoahLutz said:

Guns N’ Roses, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin all had amazing debuts.  Hendrix, The Cars, The Doors, Wu-Tang, NWA, The Beasties, The Counting Crows and Oasis all had classic debuts, too.  Third Eye Blind was a great and deep album, and the band never made another album that was even ok.  Matchbox 20 is similar in that regard.  I’ll put Alanis Morrissette in that category as well.  

The Alanis album you're thinking of, Jagged Little Pill, wasn't a debut

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

The obvious answer here is Prince, right?

good one towards the end of the 80'ss cracks started showing.  he'd come up with some gems in the 90's (i love The Gold Experience for example) but it got way patchy after Sign o the times for me.

Mick