Favorite Bands With Flawed Discographies

Mr. Not

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I am shocked, I thought Equinox and Crystal Ball were up your alley!

Journey is great, I was mostly thinking of the first three albums that do nothing for me

Equinox is good.

Crystal Ball i always forget itt exists, lol

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Tony said that with Talviyo the bands entered their "third era", so far it doesn't look like it'll be so great. he has some really interesting and unique songs to bring to the table as always, but i think they're weirder than ever and the band isn't doing a good job at adapting. the album has two quality songs on it (Message From The Sun, Last of Lambs), the rest are questionable at best, and the entire album has a very weak & unenergetic feeling to it, even when it's supposed to be heavy (see: Demon's Cage). "Unenergetic" is the absolute last word i'd ever want to use to describe something Sonata Arctica... But that's what the album is really. 

I consider SA a major favourite of mine. It's just awkward to admit that considering aside from The Ninth Hour, I can't really stand to listen to any of the other past four albums.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Equinox is good.

Crystal Ball i always forget itt exists, lol

Mick

I somewhat enjoy all Styx. But the lows are f***ing weird

For me this applies reaally well to Radiohead.

i'm not a fan of the first 3 (Yes even OK computer and The Bends lol)

Then Kid A happens.......i'm all in.  However from there it is and up and down journey.

Mick

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

For me this applies reaally well to Radiohead.

i'm not a fan of the first 3 (Yes even OK computer and The Bends lol)

Then Kid A happens.......i'm all in.  However from there it is and up and down journey.

Mick

We should do a buddy listen of their discography one day. Lord knows you've done it with a million of my metal bands! 

• Like 1

He's  not band per se but........Springsteen.  oh my god dude pick a quality Standard.

some of the 2000's releases are Rough.

Not a fan of whenever he thinks just an album of guitar and harmonica are a good idea either, lol

Mick

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

We should do a buddy listen of their discography one day. Lord knows you've done it with a million of my metal bands! 

Radioheads a band you could love.....i'm positive of that.

Mick

• Like 1

He's  not band per se but........Springsteen.  oh my god dude pick a quality Standard.

some of the 2000's releases are Rough.

Not a fan of whenever he thinks just an album of guitar and harmonica are a good idea either, lol

Mick

Absolutely. After The River (yes, I adore him, but that early on), it becomes a struggle for me 

Still love him though

Radioheads a band you could love.....i'm positive of that.

Mick

Definitely. I think my love of Thrice proves that. I have just always been more attuned to the heavy 

• Like 2

Coheed and Cambria.

not sure of they should be here cause they have been pretty across the board blah since after Apollo part II. no ups and downs....straight middle of the road.  HOWEVER nothing is bad .  just really forgettable.

the last two albums......in one ear out the other.

Mick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Coheed and Cambria.

not sure of they should be here cause they have been pretty across the board blah since after Apollo part II. no ups and downs....straight middle of the road.  HOWEVER nothing is bad .  just really forgettable.

the last two albums......in one ear out the other.

Mick

Always been my issue. Hey, at least nothing is bad! But I remember bad albums more than I do mediocre 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Always been my issue. Hey, at least nothing is bad! But I remember bad albums more than I do mediocre 

you know what it is.

the damn STORY IS HOLDING THE MUSIC BACK.

they have to keep writing  for the story.

you can end the gimmick i think by now boys, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

you know what it is.

the damn STORY IS HOLDING THE MUSIC BACK.

they have to keep writing  for the story.

you can end the gimmick i think by now boys, lol

Mick

I always wanted to get into the story. Boring!

Then I discovered Rhapsody, sure I pay barely any attention to the ongoing story, but at least the music doesn't suffer!

• Like 1

Boston. Think what you will about Corporate America, personally I enjoy it with the exception of With You, the country song pasted into a Boston album. But I think we can all agree Life, Love & Hope should not have happened. Hell, 2 of the songs on LLH are just Corporate America songs remixed. It's almost as if Tom himself was saying there arent enough good songs on the album so I'll throw some from the record we made 12 years ago to spice it up. 

Supposedly he's been writing new stuff for a 7th album for over half a decade now. But not even God knows when that will be done, and if itll be any good. In Tom's words, "Who knows? I'm only 70. I figure I've got 30 years."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ST3V said:

Boston. Think what you will about Corporate America, personally I enjoy it with the exception of With You, the country song pasted into a Boston album. But I think we can all agree Life, Love & Hope should not have happened. Hell, 2 of the songs on LLH are just Corporate America songs remixed. It's almost as if Tom himself was saying there arent enough good songs on the album so I'll throw some from the record we made 12 years ago to spice it up. 

Supposedly he's been writing new stuff for a 7th album for over half a decade now. But not even God knows when that will be done, and if itll be any good. In Tom's words, "Who knows? I'm only 70. I figure I've got 30 years."

I *like* Boston

Past the debut, they are never as good

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Boston shot their wad after the first record IMO.

I enjoy both Don't Look Back and Third Stage but they have nothing on the debut.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Boston shot their wad after the first record IMO.

I enjoy both Don't Look Back and Third Stage but they have nothing on the debut.

Mick

Same. It's hard to pinpoint what is lacking after, but they sure make up for it knowing nothing sounded like them BEFORE

• Like 2

i'm just coming up with more.......it makes me realize most bands are up and down....like duh, lol

Lately Green Day has become this.

The trilogy was meh.  Rev Radio was meh......The latest one.  I ADORE it but i get why'd you'd call it not what you want.

Mick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm just coming up with more.......it makes me realize most bands are up and down....like duh, lol

Lately Green Day has become this.

The trilogy was meh.  Rev Radio was meh......The latest one.  I ADORE it but i get why'd you'd call it not what you want.

Mick

Absolutely 

Renaissance is one for me. I love love Turn Of The Cards and Scheherazade, and I do also enjoy Prolgue quite a bit, but none of their other albums are really very interesting to me, even Ashes Are Burning which steals the top spot for many fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Renaissance is one for me. I love love Turn Of The Cards and Scheherazade, and I do also enjoy Prolgue quite a bit, but none of their other albums are really very interesting to me, even Ashes Are Burning which steals the top spot for many fans.

I haven't thought of them in YEARS

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I haven't thought of them in YEARS

I kinda forget about them sometimes too, and I own like 6 of their records, lol.

Genesis (sharp decline after 1977, descent into my taste abyss after about 1982)

Yes (Going For the One through Drama, then again disappearing off the bottom of the page after Big Generator)

Actually, thinking about it, most of my choices are bands I started out really high on, but then as their discography got longer, my interest/attention span just waned.  That's true of Genesis above, and it's true of Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden, King's X, Deep Purple, Megadeth, Metallica, AC/DC, lately of Drive-by Truckers (maybe they'll surprise me next time!), etc., etc. 

Rush, in that I think T4E is their weakest album, but that's not a "period" of bad albums. I can't really think of many examples where, once lost, I picked up a band's thread later on.

• Like 2

U forking 2 - Their last 3 are just awful and let's not forgot that Pop disaster.  Doesn't help that Boner is as much of a phony "philanthropist" as Bob Geldof before him.

Smashing Pumpkins - Post Machina is flawed.  I'm looking at you Monuments and Cyr!

The Killers - Their last album was an unexpectedly awesome album and their best one since Sam's Town.  Post Sam's Town is inconsistent and dabbles too much into EDM of the moment.

Megadeth - late 90s and early 00s have Dave being as much of a sellout as that era of Metallica and sounds like Nickelback esque butt rock

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 3