Favorite Bands With Flawed Discographies

Mr. Not

i was thinking about this earlier while doing laundry

what are some bands you consider to be your top all-time favorites, but have a string of albums that you dislike so much that you never bother listening to them? not just one or two subpar albums from throughout their discography, since that's very normal, but entire eras of the band that just suck. 

for me the two are Stratovarius, and a pretty obvious one (at least i think so) is Yes

Pre-Kotipelto Stratovarius wasn't terrible, but nothing special either. Power Metal was in its early foundational phase and the production/songwriting wasn't as great as it later came to be, not to mention the band itself was immature. I almost never listen to their first four albums and when i give it a try i just get really bored, their 5th and 6th albums "Episode" and "Visions" are probably still their most acclaimed to this day, and that's when they came into their own and I also start enjoying them. I think their latest three albums, post-Tolkki, have been their absolute best though, and their upcoming album seems like it'll be good too.

Yes speaks for itself i think, sharp decline after 90125, i hardly bother listening to anything after that album other than Union and Magnification (which are okay), but then when we enter the 21st century the band literally (RIP) and figuratively dies. At this point i'm surprised they're still going, and will probably never listen to The Quest or anything else they put out from now on.

25 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

Outrageous to be posting this on The Rush Forum! :bolt:

lol, yeah that crossed my mind but i don't think their peak/decline was anything out of the ordinary for a band that went on for as long as they did,  and 17/19 of the albums are good so they'll get a pass

• Like 1

The top five that come to mind are:

Machine Head 

Dream Theater 

Iron Maiden 

Judas Priest 

Saxon 

These are five bands I absolutely adore who unfortunately have pure stinkers in their discography. 

Dream Theater is interesting because I actually really dislike a lot about their music but when it hits, it really hits, and the album's I dislike are very, very few.

Saxon are a band I absolutely adore, but if you asked me to do a complete list of the good and the bad, you will see that I think they are incredibly uneven.

Machine Head have mostly masterful albums, but I count three genuine misses in their discography. The latest miss, Catharsis, is actually a bit of a guilty pleasure. I don't rate it highly, but I certainly don't hate it.

Maiden and Priest? The best discographies here, but I can do without the Ripper and Blaze albums (although both these singers have at least ONE song I consider an all time classic of the band).

Bands I nearly added are:

Rush (but honestly, even the "worst" albums have tonnes to talk positively about)

In Flames (problem is, I see where the fans are divided, but honestly I enjoy their entire discography)

Nightwish (only one album I don't enjoy that much, but I still really admire it, so not really worthy of inclusion) 

Paradise Lost (odd, I love their entire discography, but they are so diverse it actually can be super confusing for fans. I could list them here, but it would be dishonest to say I personally think they have big flaws)

38 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

The top five that come to mind are:

Machine Head 

Dream Theater 

Iron Maiden 

Judas Priest 

Saxon 

These are five bands I absolutely adore who unfortunately have pure stinkers in their discography. 

Dream Theater is interesting because I actually really dislike a lot about their music but when it hits, it really hits, and the album's I dislike are very, very few.

Saxon are a band I absolutely adore, but if you asked me to do a complete list of the good and the bad, you will see that I think they are incredibly uneven.

Machine Head have mostly masterful albums, but I count three genuine misses in their discography. The latest miss, Catharsis, is actually a bit of a guilty pleasure. I don't rate it highly, but I certainly don't hate it.

Maiden and Priest? The best discographies here, but I can do without the Ripper and Blaze albums (although both these singers have at least ONE song I consider an all time classic of the band).

Bands I nearly added are:

Rush (but honestly, even the "worst" albums have tonnes to talk positively about)

In Flames (problem is, I see where the fans are divided, but honestly I enjoy their entire discography)

Nightwish (only one album I don't enjoy that much, but I still really admire it, so not really worthy of inclusion) 

Paradise Lost (odd, I love their entire discography, but they are so diverse it actually can be super confusing for fans. I could list them here, but it would be dishonest to say I personally think they have big flaws)

What's the Ripper song you consider an all time classic for them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

What's the Ripper song you consider an all time classic for them?

Cathedral Spires. It's one of my favourite Priest songs.

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Cathedral Spires. It's one of my favourite Priest songs.

That is definitely the best song with Ripper. I haven't heard it in a while. Don't recall ever thinking it held up well against any of the classics in their catalog though.

• Like 1

Queen is one for me.

80's Queen Really

Pink Floyd.  Not really a fan of their early Acid/pshyidelia stuff.  They don't really Start for me until Meddle.

Dream theater.  Huge fan but they've had some deadly lows.

Iron Maiden.  They've made the same album for 22 years.  i enjoy it but it's the same album., lol.

Machine Head........fans know, lol

Metallica. god damn a some of their stuff is the bad stuff of urban  legend.

Segue will kill me.  and this is just my feeling but......Biffy Clyro.

the past 2 and a half albums have been veering off for  me.  With the last one being pretty bland.

I'll think of more.  cause  i love being Negative, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Queen is one for me.

80's Queen Really

Pink Floyd.  Not really a fan of their early Acid/pshyidelia stuff.  They don't really Start for me until Meddle.

Dream theater.  Huge fan but they've had some deadly lows.

Iron Maiden.  They've made the same album for 22 years.  i enjoy it but it's the same album., lol.

Machine Head........fans know, lol

Metallica. god damn a some of their stuff is the bad stuff of urban  legend.

Segue will kill me.  and this is just my feeling but......Biffy Clyro.

the past 2 and a half albums have been veering off for  me.  With the last one being pretty bland.

I'll think of more.  cause  i love being Negative, lol

Mick

Don't worry about Biffy. I adore the last two albums and it doesn't worry me you don't.

Glad we agree on DT. I really do love them, just not as much as you

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That is definitely the best song with Ripper. I haven't heard it in a while. Don't recall ever thinking it held up well against any of the classics in their catalog though.

That's fair, I think it's easy to forget because the album it comes from is...eh...

Odd thing is not one song from the Blaze albums strikes me as classic at all.

I feel stupid for overlooking the most obvious for me:

Sonata Arctica 

Oh god, the last four albums range from a 7/10 at best to EEEEWWWWW

• Like 2

Don't worry about Biffy. I adore the last two albums and it doesn't worry me you don't.

Glad we agree on DT. I really do love them, just not as much as you

just cause i love DT doesn't me i don't see it.

I find the later Portnoy Period to be pretty awful.

and HELLO.........the Ass-tonishing, lol

I'd even throw in Distance.......you wouldn't.......but i would, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

just cause i love DT doesn't me i don't see it.

I find the later Portnoy Period to be pretty awful.

and HELLO.........the Ass-tonishing, lol

I'd even throw in Distance.......you wouldn't.......but i would, lol

Mick

I remember you loved DOT initially, but meh...I've had many albums I initially was enthusiastic about that dampened quickly over time.

I will say, the last two DT albums are in my top ten

That's fair, I think it's easy to forget because the album it comes from is...eh...

Odd thing is not one song from the Blaze albums strikes me as classic at all.

Just gave it another listen. It's been so long since I heard that I forgot it was that long. Nothing has changed much for me. It's a good song but doesn't hold up to the other Priest classics. My main issue with Ripper is that he sounds so much like Halford, I have a hard time picturing anyone else but Rob singing when I listen to the songs from those two albums. I'm glad Ripper was allowed to expand his voice a lot more when he was in Iced Earth. He showed people that he was more than just a Halford clone when he was with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Just gave it another listen. It's been so long since I heard that I forgot it was that long. Nothing has changed much for me. It's a good song but doesn't hold up to the other Priest classics. My main issue with Ripper is that he sounds so much like Halford, I have a hard time picturing anyone else but Rob singing when I listen to the songs from those two albums. I'm glad Ripper was allowed to expand his voice a lot more when he was in Iced Earth. He showed people that he was more than just a Halford clone when he was with them.

Ripper is an odd vocalist. He is one of the BEST singers in the game. But he's faceless.

Mega talented, but oddly nothing special.

His best work is with Iced Earth.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I remember you loved DOT initially, but meh...I've had many albums I initially was enthusiastic about that dampened quickly over time.

I will say, the last two DT albums are in my top ten

i was never thrilled about the singles for DOT at all.  Then i heard the album and really enjoyed it.  But it didn't last there are a number of skip worthy songs on that album and it has some realy great tracks too.  but the skips almost out weigh them for me,

However A view......thank album is fantastic and i love it.

i can't complain about DT when their like the comback kids to me, lol

Mick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

i was never thrilled about the singles for DOT at all.  Then i heard the album and really enjoyed it.  But it didn't last there are a number of skip worthy songs on that album and it has some realy great tracks too.  but the skips almost out weigh them for me,

However A view......thank album is fantastic and i love it.

i can't complain about DT when their like the comback kids to me, lol

Mick

Machine Head and DT are very similar in this regard

• Like 1

Can Segue andd i Say Toto?

we love them but i think wk KNOW........the ups and downs though, lol

Mick

I thought Toto, Styx, Kansas and Journey

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yeah, whenever both bands reach the bowles of sucktitude that seems to be their wake up call to write something really good again.

I forgive Machine Head for The Burning Red and Supercharger because metal was in a true transitional period at the time.

Catharsis? I know the band had struggled, it shows. But the new album makes up for it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I thought Toto, Styx, Kansas and Journey

oddly even though they still are Flawed........i find journey the most consistant of those and they kept it up for longer than any of those before falling off a bit.

Styx was What da f**k before Grand Illusion for me.  than they went back to what da f**k, lol

70's Kansas is great.  80's is.....what it is, lo

Journey after the first 3.  Kept up quality till and including Trial by Fire (some people will debate Raised but i love it, lol)

Mick

• Like 3

oddly even though they still are Flawed........i find journey the most consistant of those and they kept it up for longer than any of those before falling off a bit.

Styx was What da f**k before Grand Illusion for me.  than they went back to what da f**k, lol

70's Kansas is great.  80's is.....what it is, lo

Journey after the first 3.  Kept up quality till and including Trial by Fire (some people will debate Raised but i love it, lol)

Mick

I am shocked, I thought Equinox and Crystal Ball were up your alley!

Journey is great, I was mostly thinking of the first three albums that do nothing for me

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I feel stupid for overlooking the most obvious for me:

Sonata Arctica 

Oh god, the last four albums range from a 7/10 at best to EEEEWWWWW

Tony said that with Talviyo the bands entered their "third era", so far it doesn't look like it'll be so great. he has some really interesting and unique songs to bring to the table as always, but i think they're weirder than ever and the band isn't doing a good job at adapting. the album has two quality songs on it (Message From The Sun, Last of Lambs), the rest are questionable at best, and the entire album has a very weak & unenergetic feeling to it, even when it's supposed to be heavy (see: Demon's Cage). "Unenergetic" is the absolute last word i'd ever want to use to describe something Sonata Arctica... But that's what the album is really. 

• Like 1