Taylor Hawkins London tribute concert starts shortly- will be on these channels, plus on CBS tonight at 10 pm

blueschica

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I think Alex's guitar tone iin this show is the best he's had in years, maybe since ATWAS.

30 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Whatever you're smoking, I want some. 

Alex's guitar sounded good but not great. 

I'm not smoking anything, just offering my opinion. I thought Alex;s guitar tone was really good, raw and dirty and old-school, which was the appropriate tone for the songs they played.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I'm not smoking anything, just offering my opinion. I thought Alex;s guitar tone was really good, raw and dirty and old-school, which was the appropriate tone for the songs they played.

blunts.jpg?auto=format&fit=clip&q=60&ixl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, treeduck said:

I was thinking the same thing. I notice the tempo of the songs seemed to be a tad slower than usual, or maybe that's just me.

Yeah, it was mixed well too. Both Alex and Ged (you could hear the bass well) sounded old school, kind of funky, dirty and bad ass!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Aye, what did you think of Omar Hakim?

I really liked his playing ! Different than Neil, but still great. I think he was an excellent choice. There were one or two bobbles on YYZ, but I think it was because Alex slowed down a bit and Omar had to kind of pick up (or not pick up) the slack. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, treeduck said:

legendary drummer but just no precise enough to fill neils shoes. they were all sloppy as hell on YYZ though so i'll let him off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

He was awesome. I didn't know anything about him so I looked him up online and he's 63 freaking years old. He looked like he was in his 40's. Luckily the British crowd didn't screw it up like the Brazilians on Rush in Rio.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BastillePark said:

He was awesome. I didn't know anything about him so I looked him up online and he's 63 freaking years old. He looked like he was in his 40's. Luckily the British crowd didn't screw it up like the Brazilians on Rush in Rio.

Yeah he's a beast. He's been around for ages, played with everyone from Journey to Al Di Meola.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I've watched it three times now. What a f***ing fantastic little set. One day those kids at Wembley will appreciate how lucky they were...

Damn ViacomCBS :fistscrying:

Good job I watched several times at max volume :ROCK:

Only clips available now, hope it will be shown again or maybe a DVD will be for sale.  Saw Geddy and Alex with Dave on the drums, thought it was great!

• Like 1

The BBC reviewer Mark Savage appears to be musically illiterate. Rush don`t get a line beyond that they appeared. Some of the show "veered into self-indulgence", "Wolfgang Van Halen`s finger-twisting guitar riffs left the audience unmoved". Wolfie played On Fire and HFT riffs and solos note-for-note! :facepalm: 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

The BBC reviewer Mark Savage appears to be musically illiterate. Rush don`t get a line beyond that they appeared. Some of the show "veered into self-indulgence", "Wolfgang Van Halen`s finger-twisting guitar riffs left the audience unmoved". Wolfie played On Fire and HFT riffs and solos note-for-note! :facepalm: 

I thought his review smacked of that crap idea "simple/punk music is the most authentic music" when he was sniffing about the "skill" of Rush or Joe Walsh, as if being able to do something complex well was pointless. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Megadeth said:

Damn that was the worst rendition of YYZ I've ever heard Rush do. Geddy was playing in a completely different key on the first verse. I guess they haven't been practising much. That and they're like 90

I've never heard Geddy be so lost on that song. Huge brain fart!

6 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

5 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I thought his review smacked of that crap idea "simple/punk music is the most authentic music" when he was sniffing about the "skill" of Rush or Joe Walsh, as if being able to do something complex well was pointless. 

Yeah - I saw this and thought it was a bit negative. I think this Mark Savage seemed to be preferring songs or Brit music. Or rather, seemed to be ignorant of anything out of the US that he wasn't familiar with.

• Like 2

Loved the whole thing. Loved Wolfgang VH who did a great job of emulating his Dad and loved Geddy and Alex and their set. All in all their playing was fantastic, warts and all. 

There may have been flaws but I didn't really notice them. The 'overall' result was great. Sometimes when music is played, there are a flaws but if you play through them then it's the overall result that matters. And that's what I got out of it. 

In fact, I thought the lineup of acts was a nice contrast of styles. Britpop, pop, rock, prog rock, punk - a nice bit of everything. 

And it looked like the songs played by all where a balance of what Taylor would have wanted played and songs that had a bit of meaning. 

I'm guessing 2112, Working Man and YYZ were what Taylor would have wanted for the most part. 

Loved James Gang having never heard them. Only heard a bit of Joe Walsh. 

Loved the Jeff Buckley covers because his album Grace is a fave of mine. 

Nice to hear Supergrass again. 

Those Crooked Vultures were fun and I thought Josh Homme sang well in contrast to some comments on the 'Net.

In fact, there were a lot of references to artists that had passed away that was nice. 

Bowie, Jeff Buckley, Freddy Mercury, Amy Winehouse, Eddie VH, Neil P and maybe others I can't remember.

• Like 4

Kind of a shame that some are criticizing the precision of semi-retired older guys who no longer rehearse their complex parts for months on end. 

• Like 9