The Official "Huh, What Conference?", er, 2022-23 NCAA College Football Thread.

pjbear05

40 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Rose Bowl has been competitive so far! Love them showing the bands!  :thumbsup:

Penn St with the big play to go up 21-14.  And now iooks like Utah may lose their QB

• Like 1

I read that Roger Goodell asked Stephen Ross to consider moving to the SEC.  If you go 22 years without winning a single NFL playoff game, you need to be realistic about the level of competition you should be playing.

They won’t beat Alabama or Clemson or Georgia or even Vandy, but they can probably keep it close.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I read that Roger Goodell asked Stephen Ross to consider moving to the SEC.  If you go 22 years without winning a single NFL playoff game, you need to be realistic about the level of competition you should be playing.

They won’t beat Alabama or Clemson or Georgia or even Vandy, but they can probably keep it close.

I know that losing to the Patriots for the first time in three years, even though it took the third string quarterback for it to happen, is embarrassing, but if the Dolphins belong in the SEC, the Patriots belong in the Big XII.

On the other hand, if you're talking about Stephen Ross the person himself, I'm fine with that.

5 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I know that losing to the Patriots for the first time in three years, even though it took the third string quarterback for it to happen, is embarrassing, but if the Dolphins belong in the SEC, the Patriots belong in the Big XII.

On the other hand, if you're talking about Stephen Ross the person himself, I'm fine with that.

We've already been over this.  The theory is a simple:  if you cannot win playoff game, just one, in a decade, then you have ceased to be a legitimate NFL franchise.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in February 2019.  Now you go.

It gives me no great joy to point this out.  I'm just trying to protect the fan base from an obviously predatory franchise that just takes the money and consistently puts garbage on the field year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year.

OK.  It gives me some pleasure. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

We've already been over this.  The theory is a simple:  if you cannot win playoff game, just one, in a decade, then you have ceased to be a legitimate NFL franchise.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in February 2019.  Now you go.

It gives me no great joy to point this out.  I'm just trying to protect the fan base from an obviously predatory franchise that just takes the money and consistently puts garbage on the field year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year.

OK.  It gives me some pleasure.

Enjoy the Dark Ages. It's not like you haven't seen them before.   Maybe this time the team will actually move to St Louis so they won't have to rely on a bunch of front runners for a fan base  And Mac Jones isn't really any more odious than Maurice Hurst or the 85 team's coke dealer, or the convict who drove the snowplow on the field in what's even more brazen than the cheating that took place during the Belicheat years.  (It will never not be funny though that the AEI actually got paid for a study that tried to get people to believe that it wasn't that the Patriots balls that shrunk too much but that the Colts balls didn't shrink enough.)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Enjoy the Dark Ages. It's not like you haven't seen them before.   Maybe this time the team will actually move to St Louis so they won't have to rely on a bunch of front runners for a fan base  And Mac Jones isn't really any more odious than Maurice Hurst or the 85 team's coke dealer, or the convict who drove the snowplow on the field in what's even more brazen than the cheating that took place during the Belicheat years.  (It will never not be funny though that the AEI actually got paid for a study that tried to get people to believe that it wasn't that the Patriots balls that shrunk too much but that the Colts balls didn't shrink enough.)

True, the Patriots have been bad in the past.  I mean, they've never gone 50 years without a Super Bowl win or 23 years without a single playoff win.  They've never been that embarrassingly bad for such an incredibly long time.  I hope they don't reach those kinds of depths.  I don't know what kind of fanbase would have so little respect for itself that it allowed a team to get away with that.

27 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

True, the Patriots have been bad in the past.  I mean, they've never gone 50 years without a Super Bowl win or 23 years without a single playoff win.  They've never been that embarrassingly bad for such an incredibly long time.  I hope they don't reach those kinds of depths.  I don't know what kind of fanbase would have so little respect for itself that it allowed a team to get away with that.

Things I've learned today:

1) 25 < 23

2) OTOH 41 <<<<<<<<<<<< 49

3). Fan bases control the fates of their teams.  And good fan bases are ones that support their teams so well that ownership almost moves them to St. Louis because of their depth of support.

And it's not even 10:00 here in flyova country.

6 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Things I've learned today:

1) 25 < 23

2) OTOH 41 <<<<<<<<<<<< 49

3). Fan bases control the fates of their teams.  And good fan bases are ones that support their teams so well that ownership almost moves them to St. Louis because of their depth of support.

And it's not even 10:00 here in flyova country.

Ah, it's early there.  That must be why you thought 23 is less than 22.  At best, I might add, since the Dolphins are a solid bet to extend that streak beyond 23.

Not really sure what 41 and 49 refer to.

Good fan bases don't just lap up whatever garbage ownership throws on the field.  They force the team to spend the money and build a winning franchise.  That doesn't mean they can't have down years.  But if a team goes at least 23 years without a single playoff win, well then shame on its fanbase.

21 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Ah, it's early there.  That must be why you thought 23 is less than 22.  At best, I might add, since the Dolphins are a solid bet to extend that streak beyond 23.

Not really sure what 41 and 49 refer to.

Good fan bases don't just lap up whatever garbage ownership throws on the field.  They force the team to spend the money and build a winning franchise.  That doesn't mean they can't have down years.  But if a team goes at least 23 years without a single playoff win, well then shame on its fanbase.

The Patriots didn't win a playoff game until 1985.  They started in 1960.

The Patriots didn't "win a championship"* until 2001.   The Dolphins won after the 1973 season, that's where the 49 comes from.

And we both (I hope) know the correlation between the quality of the fan base and the success of the franchise argument is silly, especially in a sport with revenue sharing.  It's instructive that you make this argument with respect to the Dolphins in this thread but not in the Cowboys thread.

57 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

The Patriots didn't win a playoff game until 1985.  They started in 1960.

The Patriots didn't "win a championship"* until 2001.   The Dolphins won after the 1973 season, that's where the 49 comes from.

And we both (I hope) know the correlation between the quality of the fan base and the success of the franchise argument is silly, especially in a sport with revenue sharing.  It's instructive that you make this argument with respect to the Dolphins in this thread but not in the Cowboys thread.

If you're going to start at 1960, then you have to include 1963 when they beat the Bills.

Since we're talking numbers, is 6 more than 2?

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Revenue sharing actually makes it worse, to some degree, since bad teams get money from good teams, so there's less ability to make the argument made in MLB.  And it's no coincidence that the Patriots' lean years coincide with bad ownership.  All joking aside for a moment, Kraft bought the team in 1994.  Even before Brady, they were clearly a better franchise than before he took over.  And the fanbase has rewarded him.

The Dolphins have about 20 years on the Cowboys in Super Bowl futility.

19 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

And godammit @laughedatbytime, I have a busy week this week.  Stop baiting me into this.  :smile:

It's been said that adding an additional lawyer to the population subtracts $1 million from GDP, so consider my posts, and your time responding to it, as a small, nay, infinitesimal effort in combating Joe Biden's impact on the economy...:)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

If you're going to start at 1960, then you have to include 1963 when they beat the Bills.

Since we're talking numbers, is 6 more than 2?

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Revenue sharing actually makes it worse, to some degree, since bad teams get money from good teams, so there's less ability to make the argument made in MLB.  And it's no coincidence that the Patriots' lean years coincide with bad ownership.  All joking aside for a moment, Kraft bought the team in 1994.  Even before Brady, they were clearly a better franchise than before he took over.  And the fanbase has rewarded him.

The Dolphins have about 20 years on the Cowboys in Super Bowl futility.

Yes 6 > 2 ******

If you want to call winning a tiebreaker game just to lose a championship game in a minor league by 41 pts, feel free.  But if you do, the Dolphins won a playoff game this year, too.

19 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Yes 6 > 2 ******

If you want to call winning a tiebreaker game just to lose a championship game in a minor league by 41 pts, feel free.  But if you do, the Dolphins won a playoff game this year, too.

You can't have it both ways.  You can't start counting in 1960 to reach 1985, but then say the AFL years don't count.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, Rick N. Backer said:

You can't have it both ways.  You can't start counting in 1960 to reach 1985, but then say the AFL years don't count.

?  Thought this was a college football thread...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1