The Official "Huh, What Conference?", er, 2022-23 NCAA College Football Thread.

pjbear05

Well, 12 noon today  college football begins anew with powerhouses Western Kentucky at Austin Peay, followed at 12:30 by the "marquee" match-up of the day, Nebraska "at" Northwestern live from that hotbed of college ball, Dublin, Ireland.

Between todays games and the not so square dance the conference realignment has become,  I... ah, forget it.  I'll be watching my usual faves- Miami, Big 10, and whoever's trying to beat NotreDame.

"Face your corner and do-si-dip, and face your opponent and hit 'em in the lip" (parody of a square dance call).

Have at it, folks!

31 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

Well, 12 noon today  college football begins anew with powerhouses Western Kentucky at Austin Peay, followed at 12:30 by the "marquee" match-up of the day, Nebraska "at" Northwestern live from that hotbed of college ball, Dublin, Ireland.

Between todays games and the not so square dance the conference realignment has become,  I... ah, forget it.  I'll be watching my usual faves- Miami, Big 10, and whoever's trying to beat NotreDame.

"Face your corner and do-si-dip, and face your opponent and hit 'em in the lip" (parody of a square dance call).

Have at it, folks!

The Huskers should have the advantage since the game's in Dublin, and they've been spending their early season preparation practicing throwing up.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Haha 1

In case someone is unfamiliar with the backdrop...

The Nebraska Cornhuskers have fallen on and stayed on hard times lately, yet there remains lingering hope that favorite son Scott Frost can turn things around. Leadership in Lincoln still believes in his vision and trusts in his methods. Which apparently include measuring success by how many times the big uglies throw up at practice.

On his monthly radio show, Frost revealed just how much the practice field resembles a vomitorium and who is responsible for that.

Offensive line coach Donovan Raiola is coaching his position group intensely, Frost said. To the point that he estimates there are 15-20 vomits every practice from those linemen.

“It’s not because they’re not in shape – he’s just working them hard,” Frost said. “I think they love it. He’s kind of freed them up to go be aggressive and I love the way they’re coming off the ball.”

The Dublin reference to puking should need no explanation.

• Like 1

I ended up watching St. Thomas Aquinas,  a perennial force in Broward County high schol football.  Yawn.

Sreven Austin gets walloped by Jacksonville State.  A new start for RichRod.

Edited by pjbear05

There has been basic agreement reached on a 12 team playoff beginning in 2026.

8 would be better imo, but 12 is better than 4.

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

There has been basic agreement reached on a 12 team playoff beginning in 2026.

8 would be better imo, but 12 is better than 4.

Zero would be best.

5 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

Iowa beats South Dakota State, 7-3.

There were no touchdowns scored in the game.

A field goal and two safeties? Are you sure this wasn't the baseball score for the schools?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

A field goal and two safeties? Are you sure this wasn't the baseball score for the schools?

I watched the game.   The safeties were less surprising than the field goal.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nova Carmina said:

Yikes. 

Maybe it's just me but I actually enjoyed watching the game and rooting for a 5-3 game, since with the OT rule it couldn't end tied at 5.

Now I'm watching UNC vs App St, with 31 seconds left App St just scored to make it 56-55 and are going for two.

• Haha 1

So they call a pass play, the receiver turns the wrong way and the QB overthrows him to keep it 56-55.  UNC recovers the onside kick and instead of running out of bounds returns it for a TD to make it 63-55, and commits a personal celebration foul.   The kick is returned to midfield with 19 seconds left.and in two plays they're in the end zone.

They obviously go for 2 but don't make it.  63-61.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pjbear05 said:

Florida puts the chomp on Utah, making a last minute interception in their end zone, denying the Utes the GW TD.

That was a heck of a game!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

So they call a pass play, the receiver turns the wrong way and the QB overthrows him to keep it 56-55.  UNC recovers the onside kick and instead of running out of bounds returns it for a TD to make it 63-55, and commits a personal celebration foul.   The kick is returned to midfield with 19 seconds left.and in two plays they're in the end zone.

That game was nuts. Scored 40 points in the 4th quarter and still lost.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

After you mentioned this game in the earlier post, I went to ESPN+ to watch the end, but then App St. missed the conversion and gave up the touchdown on the attempted on-sides kick, so I said to myself "well, that's over, then" and turned it off! d'oh!

On 9/3/2022 at 10:20 PM, goose said:

That was a heck of a game!

Yes it was, it could have gone either way.  Both quarterbacks had a great game (except the interception :glare:).  Wish we had completed the touchdown at the beginning of the 2nd half but Utes fought hard. :cheer:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

"It is blocked!  It is blocked!  It is blocked!"  Joe Tessitore's call of LSU's  PAT attempt to close the FSU game.

After recovering a fumble on their own 3, marching the field, and scoring the touchdown, LSU needed the point after to tie and send the game into OT.  Not to be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

"It is blocked!  It is blocked!  It is blocked!"  Joe Tessitore's call of LSU's  PAT attempt to close the FSU game.

After recovering a fumble on their own 3, marching the field, and scoring the touchdown, LSU needed the point after to tie and send the game into OT.  Not to be.

So tragic to see Kelly take the L.

9 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

That was wild!

• Like 2

• The topic was pinned