Is Geddy Lee your favorite bassist?

Slime

Is Geddy Lee your favorite bassist?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is Geddy Lee your favorite bassist?

• He is absolutely my #1 favorite - the undisputed king of of the mountain!
    • He's #1, but there are some others who are pretty close!
    • Not my #1 favorite, but definitely in my top 5
    • He's at least in the top 10
    • Not even a top 10, sadly

Option 2 for me...he is indeed my favourite, but there are others who are up there with him, notably Chris Squire, Dug Pinnick, Steve Harris, Geezer Butler and Neil Muray.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

Yeah, no one touches Geddy for me. A lot of other great bassists I love, even many I would say Ged can't necessarily play circles around, but they never do as much for me musically as Geddy does.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 3:28 AM, invisible airwave said:

Entwistle

Lee is top 5, though.  Honorable mentions are Flea, Jeff Ament and Simon Gallup just for the best bass riff ever.  You might say it's FASCINATIng. :laugh:

I love Pearl Jam, but I’m surprised to see Ament up there.  What are you favorite tracks which feature him?

• Like 1

I've got 6 primary influences that make me want to bang on the bass.  Geddy and Cliff were the first 2.
The other 4:
Thunderfingers
Squire
JPJ
Geezer

Many others too, of different talents and styles.... but they are second tier to me. Only in terms of importance as influences.  Like, Harris, Wooten, Sarzo, Lake, Hamm, Sheehan, Wetton, Myung, that guy from Phish..... 

Yes.

I don't follow musicians, generally, so I can't say that I know the names of other bassists. Perhaps he is not the best of everybody?

But he is my favorite.

When I hear and see Geddy play and slap that thing in his hand with such precision and accuracy, and for hours at a time? Yup, he is awesome.

After watching the tribute to Taylor Hawkins and seeing how Geddy can still play a bass like nobody's business, it reaffirms my belief.

Also, to sing and play keyboards and spend a thousand hours on a book dedicated to the instrument, yup pretty amazing.

:geddy: 

He is definitely up there for me, but not necessarily #1.  For me, he is competing with John Entwistle (an amazing mix of virtuosity and melody), Pete Thomas from Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Paul McCartney (can't remember where he's from), Pino Palladino and I suppose Jaco, although my days of listening to Weather Report are over.  (I do adore his playing on Joni Mitchell's work, however...)

Geddy's playing has been consistently inventive and good.  I'm not crazy about all of his sonic choices...I think he lost his way in the mid 80s, but I think sonically most rock music did, haha.  I'm also not the biggest fan of his later, more strummy - chordy style, nor his slightly over-driven tone.  I think he went a little too far with it at times.  Near the end of his life, Entwistle went for this really over driven tone...it was like he knew he couldn't get that little bit of distortion from playing super loud, like in the old days, so he put a bunch of processing on his rig to kind of emulate it.  But to me it sounds like a distortion pedal instead of an amp being over driven, and although Geddy wasn't as extreme as that, there's something in his later tone that has a hint of that.  For me, is Moving Pictures and Signals tone is just perfection.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 7:27 PM, Charlotte7598 said:

Yes, really impressive bass work. A couple highlights are his solo in Show Don't Tell, and his bass really stands out in Headlong Flight.

Dude, Ged's bass in Show Don't Tell is better than the entirety of some bands' recorded output. It's soooo good.

• Like 2