New Devin Townsend Album - Lightwork

Union 5-3992

8 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Devin Townsend has finally announced his Lightwork project for October 28

I like the production a lot [super rich/full sounding, he tends to excel in his mixing].  Music is fine but more restrained than I prefer from Devy.  Video is a throwaway/filler.

Another new single. I can't help but feel the chorus is reminiscent of an Alter Bridge song. I just can't put my finger on which. It's definitely different from the demo, which isn't a bad thing. I still like the track even if it has now lost the quietness of the original. 

27 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Another new single. I can't help but feel the chorus is reminiscent of an Alter Bridge song. I just can't put my finger on which. It's definitely different from the demo, which isn't a bad thing. I still like the track even if it has now lost the quietness of the original. 

and AB have a song called Slip to the void, lol

something's fishy.

Mick

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

something's fishy.

Mick

To be fair, the original version does not mimic AB at all. Though he did admit he ripped off this track 

But it wouldn't be the first time Devy nicked something. He also ripped off Usher and Dead or Alive on . He even ripped off himself on that record. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 12:34 PM, bluefox4000 said:

something's fishy.

Mick

I finally found this earworm. I couldn't get it out of my head! I was thinking of The First The Last by Tremonti. It's only about 12 seconds that's the same so I think I'll give devin a pass here.

Edited by Union 5-3992

18 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Anyone hear this thing yet? I was really unenthused with it when it first came out, but it has really grown on me over the month.

It's on my radar, almost bit on a deluxe edition on sale for cyber monday.  Probably wait for some similar deal at some point to get just the cd/bluray bundle.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, Union 5-3992 said:

Anyone hear this thing yet? I was really unenthused with it when it first came out, but it has really grown on me over the month.

Finally bit on the deluxe set with the Bluray, it's going to be a bit until the Bluray arrives but I got a free MP3 download with the purchase.  I didn't buy Empath but did hear some of the tracks from it, and in comparison this mostly a 'Devy-light' release with brief moments of heavier devy.  I do like a couple of the tracks after just a single listen, there's more focus on melodic elements from what I typically expect on his albums.  It's earned at least a few more listens and I'd recommend it.

Edited by stoopid

36 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Finally bit on the deluxe set with the Bluray, it's going to be a bit until the Bluray arrives but I got a free MP3 download with the purchase.  I didn't buy Empath but did hear some of the tracks from it, and in comparison this mostly a 'Devy-light' release with brief moments of heavier devy.  I do like a couple of the tracks after just a single listen, there's more focus on melodic elements from what I typically expect on his albums.  It's earned at least a few more listens and I'd recommend it.

I've been coming back to it more and more. This is definitely a grower album. But I'm a big fan of his quieter stuff like Ghost, Ki, and Casualties of Cool so this album is just for me. The bonus disc also has lots of great stuff on it like Factions, Sober, and Boogus.

• Like 1

Lightwork feels a lot like Sky Blue if I have to compare it to past releases. I like it. Empath is a career defining album for him, but I find it a little too wild for my tastes.

Celestial Signals and Call of the Void are fantastic.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, Union 5-3992 said:

The bonus disc also has lots of great stuff on it like Factions, Sober, and Boogus.

I agree, the album on a whole has been a slow grow but it's definitely gaining traction.  The bonus material is super strong IMO, some fun stuff but also a few killer tracks.

Admittedly I'm behind on going deeper on his albums.  I own several, have several others as downloads, and have a hard time committing more time to diving deeper.  Devin is an artist I respect a lot, but on any given album there's maybe a 50% love/meh factor song to song.  Lightwork on a whole is probably more like 90/10 love/meh, so it's already ranking as one of my favorites.  I really like Dark Matters.  I don't even own Empath yet, a small bit of regret not getting the deluxe with the surround mix when it was still in stock everywhere and sometimes on sale.

I just happened to check and Amazon has the dual Bluray Empath on sale, I'm in.  AND I get the MP3 download to enjoy while I wait.  Amazon is tops for buying physical music in that regards.  Got the last one shipped direct from Amazon too.  lol

Edited by stoopid