Boxset differences

99man

There are some subtle differences with the album covers for Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures 2015 releases and the 40th anniversary editions.

Regards

Edited by 99man
  • Like 1

Wow...I guess they're not f**k ups because I assume Hugh Syme was on board for all of the boxsets...but those are some big differences with MP and Hemispheres.  Hemispheres is almost a whole other album cover...not just the brain but the shadows, the horizon, the font and the colour around the red Rush lettering.  And the missing lines around the name on Moving Pictures looks so weird to me...like a low rent version.  I have read something somewhere with Syme voicing his distaste for the finished product of the Hemispheres cover...but it's a bit George Lucas to go in and make a new brain.  Weird.

(I didn't notice much difference with PW...)

• Like 2

UPDATE

The reason I didn't include the RUSH (self titled), 2112, and A Farewell To Kings boxsets - completely new covers were used, and only colors were changed for self titled.

Regards

Edited by 99man
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 11:35 PM, Timbale said:

Wow...I guess they're not f**k ups because I assume Hugh Syme was on board for all of the boxsets...but those are some big differences with MP and Hemispheres.  Hemispheres is almost a whole other album cover...not just the brain but the shadows, the horizon, the font and the colour around the red Rush lettering.  And the missing lines around the name on Moving Pictures looks so weird to me...like a low rent version.  I have read something somewhere with Syme voicing his distaste for the finished product of the Hemispheres cover...but it's a bit George Lucas to go in and make a new brain.  Weird.

(I didn't notice much difference with PW...)

Yeah, I'm sure Hugh took it as an opportunity to fix what he saw as problems with the original.  The Art of Rush goes into it in more detail, he explains how the original brain was just a plastic model and he was unhappy with the horizon in the background.  I'm not a fan of that kind of revisionism, but as an artist myself, I can understand why he would want to do that.

Permanent Waves is interesting, though.  The 2015 release uses the original Canadian album cover, with "DEWEI DEFEATS TRUMAN" on the newspaper.  The lettering on the signs in the background also matches.  The boxset cover appears to be a new creation - the lettering on the signs doesn't appear on any prior version that I'm aware of, and the New Zealand pressing was the only one that ever used the complete "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" headline.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 4:31 PM, blueschica said:

Quite a difference on the Hemispheres cover! It looks like a whole different brain!

When Hugh Syme began preparations for the new 40th anniversary artwork, Canada's Centre for Occupational Health & Safety said, "Naked guy can't be placed that close to the longitudinal fissure.  He might fall into that crevasse."  So, naked guy was positioned further down the cerebral hemisphere, nearer the junction of the central sulcus and the lateral fissure (but not too close!).  Correspondingly, Hugh zoomed out from the brain a bit, and took a more lateral perspective.

You mention it looks like a whole different brain.  Well, you're on to something there.  The brain employed for the original photo shoot met with an unfortunate tragedy at the brain repository.  (It belonged to some fellow named Delbrück, I believe.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/25/2022 at 12:53 AM, 99man said:

UPDATE

The reason I didn't include the RUSH (self titled), 2112, and A Farewell To Kings boxsets - completely new covers were used, and only colors were changed for self titled.

Regards

Ugh...the Farewell To Kings box cover is dreadful.  I think Hugh Syme is super talented...but he seems to lean into "cute" with his digital stuff, and I find it really off-putting. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 12:34 AM, Timbale said:

Ugh...the Farewell To Kings box cover is dreadful.  I think Hugh Syme is super talented...but he seems to lean into "cute" with his digital stuff, and I find it really off-putting. 

I'm much more a fan of his analog work and I'm not all that excited about the revisionist aspect of it either.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, ytserush said:

I'm much more a fan of his analog work and I'm not all that excited about the revisionist aspect of it either.

Me as well.  I hate that the Signals dog, for instance, is on the AFTK cover.  Why?!  "Oh, it's just a little reference", I imagine Syme or the band saying.  But...a reference to what?  We all own all the damn albums, I mean, we get it, it's a character from another record, but there's no logic to the reference itself.  Exit...Stage Left is a great cover because the references make sense - it tells a little story.  Having the dalmatian just shoved in there is idiotic, sorry.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 3:10 PM, Timbale said:

Me as well.  I hate that the Signals dog, for instance, is on the AFTK cover.  Why?!  "Oh, it's just a little reference", I imagine Syme or the band saying.  But...a reference to what?  We all own all the damn albums, I mean, we get it, it's a character from another record, but there's no logic to the reference itself.  Exit...Stage Left is a great cover because the references make sense - it tells a little story.  Having the dalmatian just shoved in there is idiotic, sorry.

It seems kind of arbitrary to me. I know Hugh likes the Dalmatian (I do too!) I always think Signals when I see it and like you said it only makes sense when it's part of a contextual thing.  At least when he revises Signals he can do entire packs of Dalmatians running around a graveyard of fire hydrants to his heart's content and this time it would make total sense. (even if it does come off as revisionist.)